Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MapSource/Streetpilot III
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MapSource/Streetpilot III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ega95jch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: MapSource/Streetpilot III Reply with quote

Hi, hoping someone can help with this! I've had the above combination since 2003, with very few problems. I particularly need the facility to control the mapping since I love playing around with waypoints and routes on the PC and then sending them to the GPS unit (and vice versa).

I'm currently on City Navigator Europe v7, and thought it was about time for an update. Garmin tell me that DVD updates are no longer available, and I should purchase a new GPS! Apart from the fact that I like my (admittedly antiquated) StreetPilot III and don't want to buy a new unit, I'm concerned that I'll lose the capability to control the mapping if I buy something new.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
John
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ega95jch.

It seems to me that you have a few simple choices:

- If CNEv7 is the very last map version that Garmin supplied for this unit then you live with it (have you noticed any really significant differences in the areas you use or is it still actually ok, but you have a spot of the 7-year itch Razz ?);

- If they issued a later version, then check on ebay, etc to see if anyone is selling a SP III with a later map (I can see some on sale but can't see what the map version is);

- Let the past go and get a new unit which you can load routes to. Hopefully if you go this way people on here can suggest suitable models. In which case there may be other features you want to retain which you will want to let us know about to get advice on.
ega95jch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David

Many thanks for your response. There have been a couple of iterations of CNE (v9 and 2009) since v8 - I generally only go for alternate versions, because, as you recognise. there aren't really many differences. However, eventually the maps become out of date enough to be a nuisance.

I'm not a GPS luddite, and I've no problem with upgrading to a new unit, but I really need one that I can use MapSource with. As I understand it, the CityNavigator NT is only of use for sending direct to a GPS device, and doesn't have the essential PC functionality that I require. Is my understanding correct? Am I forever stuck with CNE v8 if I want this?

Do you use your GPS as a standalone, i.e. with no PC mapping?

Yours frustratedly
John
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the nuvi (my wife's) has maps loaded directly to it, and was not provided with a Mapsource DVD. We haven't updated the maps but AFAIK the upgrade process only loads countries, with no ongoing PC-capability for route planning. You are probably right that there isn't a way to download specific routes into the device. But I don't use it myself really, so you'll need more helpful advice from one of the many other more knowledgeable Garminites here, if they spot your post.

Sorry not to be much use. Embarassed
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: MapSource/Streetpilot III Reply with quote

ega95jch wrote:
I particularly need the facility to control the mapping since I love playing around with waypoints and routes on the PC and then sending them to the GPS unit (and vice versa).

If you go to Arrow Garmin's web site and select 'Multi-point route planning and optimisation' under 'Feature', it lists 5 current models:-

Nüvi 1490,1690,550,765,775 (these are 'in-car' sat navs - there's also the 'trucking' Nüvi 465 and 'motorcycle' Zümo 550/660 to consider).

These probably all allow pre-planned routes to be downloaded, though, perversely, they don't necessarily come with a copy of Mapsource and the PC version of the maps. Those may have to be begged/borrowed/s****n separately Rolling Eyes

Also, there may be differences in the ways these units respond to downloaded routes. For example, the discontinued Nüvi 760 will follow a downloaded route 'to-the-letter'. The newer Nüvi 765 will immediately recalculate it (thereby rendering the PC planning process something of a waste of time Crying or Very sad )
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's an issue I didn't think was appropriate to raise until you had more knowledgeable feedback. I've got models I can export a route to but they normally just transfer the stage/destination points and recalculate. As Phil says, not what you are after. Unless you get a model that allows lots of stage points so you can constrain the route more or less to the way you really want to go (look at).

I think the issue is possibly that when you bought your unit autorouting was not that far advanced so you needed to work out a route to put on your unit. Now of course, the machine is king (queen, if Anita's looking Embarassed ) so I for instance can find it hard work to make sure I see the sights I want to see unless I can pin the bl***y thing down enough! Razz

SP III was my first device (happy days! Laughing )
ega95jch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil and David

Thanks for your responses to this. Unfortunately, I'm still frustrated! I've asked Garmin themselves, but the people who respond just don't seem to understand the issue. Below is the latest email I've sent them (still waiting for a response):

I understand that City Navigator Europe is no longer available in DVD form, only in the compressed NT version. I enjoy using MapSource to exchange information with my StreetPilot III. Does this mean that I have to remain forever with CNE v8 and its outdated mapping?

I don't mind upgrading my GPS, but I can't seem to see any that are compatible with uploading/downloading information to and from MapSource. Can it really be true? If not I would be interested to know which units are compatible.

Please advise, because I can't believe you are denying users the excellent full functionality of MapSource.

Yours frustratedly

I actually prefer to do routing on the GPS unit itself: the unit sometimes corrupts the data dowloaded from the PC, resulting in some bizarre errors. What I really value is the ability to look at a map at leisure on the PC, and to add things like interesting campsites (from GPS co-ordinates), as well as other likely points of interest. A holiday and trip planning tool, if you like.

It actually appears that Garmin are abandoning this superb functionality in favour of 'dumbing down' and having everything in an all-dancing and all-singing GPS unit (I can't even bring myself to call it the dreaded 'SATNAV')!

My present system works admirably: the downside is that the mapping will gradually but inexorably go out of date, and I just can't believe I can't continue to do as I have previously done, i.e. purchase from time to time a mapping update.

HELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!
Quote:
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I misunderstand you but if it is really a PC planning tool you are after, rather than simply a route exporter to your SP III, then I would have thought people on here could make many suggestions.

For example, not that it necessarily meets your needs but the Viamichelin site provides several such facilities, including an export option to Garmin devices (which devices though??). I haven't used it too much but it's quite useful.

Depending on what you would really like, I'm sure others can make much better suggestions.

But don't forget what I said earlier - there are several SP IIIs on ebay, which may have a more recent map, if you are still keen on that route.
ega95jch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again David

Thanks for your post. Yes, I thought about trying to get a SP III with more recent mapping. There are lots about, but the most recent City Navigator is v8, which I have.

I've got another reply from Garmin, and I think the situation is becoming clear. I have to get a new unit, in which case I get the NT mapping, which will update MapSource as well as the GPS. I've asked them to recommend a replacement for the SP III, as I'm baffled by what's on offer now!

Would you recommend your Nuvi 360? Does it have the ability to mark your present position? Do Garmin also have some deal about free mapping for life?

Thanks for the tip about the Michelin site.

Cheers
John
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
My wife certainly likes the 360 and, yes, it can save your current position. There's quite a bit of discussion on Garmin's map deals on here - for example see
Quote:
When will Garmin update their maps?

I really hesitate to make a recommendation on the 360 though, as I abandoned Garmin personally because I eventually got really sick of perverse routings I was getting (and even worse, peculiar sudden RE-routings in mid-journey). This wasn't on the 360 specifically but it did seem to be a bit of a general issue with the 'modernish' Garmins. But I don't like to say 'no' in case it's unjustified on the 360 unit, and I daren't say 'yes' in case it IS!

You'll need some of the many pro-Garmin supporters on here to come up with recommendations. They'll also know if routing problems are still there these days.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good Luck!

David
transplant
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: importing routes from mapsource Reply with quote

I recently swapped my 5 week old 255 for a 765 because I could not load routes onto the 255. The 765 allows you to import routes created on mapsource and basecamp.
You can also import routes created on google earth onto the 765 (search on youtube for garmin and google earth).
You can also import waypoints onto the 765 from google earth, google maps, panoramio, mapquest, and many more mapping sites.
The 765 has an SD slot so memory is no problem, is an MP3 player, is a photo viewer, connects to your car speakers, and I have had no problems with routing up to now.
When I registered the 255 with Garmin I had a free map update within 30 days. This download put mapsource on my PC, and I had already downloaded basecamp from Garmins website.
If you touch the screen on the 765 it gives you the option to save that position to favourites, where you can edit it later.
Hope this helps in your decision.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you take a good look at Basecamp from Garmin - it uses the maps on the computer that are downloaded from the Garmin site in the SatNav update process.

You can do routing on Basecamp as well as examine trails copied from the SatNav.
Another good if not excellent feature of Basecamp is that there is a Mac version as well as a 'doze version.
ega95jch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cwog and transplant

Many thanks for your posts. I'm certainly going to check out the Nuvi 765 and Basecamp. In the meantime, I've just bought a second hand StreetPilot III on eBay, which has CityNavigator v9. As I only paid £46, I think I've got a good deal - I have the next iteration of the mapping (although still out of date) and a spare GPS unit and datacards.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind contributions.

Cheers
John Very Happy
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have a Garmin 1690 which I upgraded from StreetPilot 2720 which I feel was one of the best GPS's made by Garmin, without all the gimmicks in the newer ones, but it was getting slower with every map update.

I always preplan and check my routes on the PC (unless I am away) and I too find Mapsource very useful to avoid any surprises during the actual journey and make any changes. I also use the Google Maps option to find if there is, say, a carpark near my destination - eg an image of parked vehicles near my destination is a good indication, rather than getting there then driving around. I then send my preferred route to the GPS.

As mentioned by 'tranplant', when I updated the maps on my new unit within the first 30 days, it also downloaded a new version of MapSource to my PC; also, on the map update page there are two options for each of the the available maps - the Download Version and the DVD Version, as the downloaded version certainly has/had MapSource, logically the DVD version may have it as well (?).

However, bizarrely, when a new route is sent to the GPS, it does not appear in the "Routes" list. After the download, the new route then has to be "Imported" (there is an option for this) after which it appears with the other routes - needless to say, nothing is mentioned in the manual.
ega95jch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: More Garmin Problems! Reply with quote

I was a very happy man until yesterday. I replaced my ageing laptop (running XP) with a new one running Windows 7 (64 bit). Installed CityNavigator 7 from the DVD. So far so good. Made up a nice mapset of the British Isles - bang on 256MB. Tried to send it to the card via the data card programmer without success, after several attempts at installing drivers, and then noticed that Garmin say they're not supporting the device with 64 bit operating systems. Brilliant!

This transfer would normall take about 40 minutes. Done via the serial/usb cable to the device it took 9 hours 48 minutes, and went through a set of new batteries, even with the screen brightness down low and the 'use indoors' function engaged.

I've had a look on the web and quite a few people have noticed this. Several people have suggested a fix involving something called a virtual machine. I haven't the foggiest what one of those is - can any of you good people help, please?

Bloody Garmin!

Cheers
John
Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: