Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Blot on Satmap screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Blot on Satmap screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senlac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Blot on Satmap screen Reply with quote

Hi,
Has anyone else experienced a blot type mark on a new Satmap,
I bought a new active 10 plus from amazon,and when it arrived,it had this large blot in the middle of the screen,
the best way of describing it,is that it looks like when there is a protective film over the screen,and sometimes there are darker areas where the film is pressed down harder,
except when I took the film off, this mark was still there,and was really off putting,
I returned the unit to amazon for a replacement,and another one arrived today,but it is worse than the first,with two large blots on the screen,as if water or oil was trapped underneath the protective cover,I tried to remove the cover to wipe underneath but found it impossible to remove (have read the sticky thread on this) but you shouldnt have to do this anyway on a new unit,
Does anyone have any ideas what they are,they are too large and offputting for such an expensive and new unit and am considering now a refund,which I dont really want to do,because otherwise it is a fantastic product.
Thanks for any suggestions or comments,Pete.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen comes protected by some clear tape on the front, I presume that this is what you refer to as protective film.

On the unit itself, the plastic screen is removable and replaceable.

Underneath that is a sealed plastic screen on the main body of the unit. I suspect that you have condensation (caused by the heat shock when you open the package) trapped between the two screelayers, and that this will clear of it's own accord.

To speed it up, you could carefully remove the replaceable screen using the instructions and video in the sticky at the top of this forum. The screen underneath is easily scratched an many of us put a screen protector on to protect it, so be careful.

The replaceable screen cover supplied comes (or at least used to) with little black strips around the inside of the window to create a gap between it and the internal screen. Replacement screens don't have this for some reason, so you may need to improvise if yours does not have these strips.
senlac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk,thanks for that great reply,
problem now solved,although the screen cover,even with help from the video,was a nightmare to remove.
Thankyou.
Buckleberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi senlac. I had the same gut-wrenching feeling when I got mine from Amazon but I found a small leaflet in the Satmap box that explains why it happens and how to get rid of it, which you obviously have now!
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senlac wrote:
4ndynorfolk,thanks for that great reply,
problem now solved,although the screen cover,even with help from the video,was a nightmare to remove.
Thankyou.

Senlac,

As Andy says,a lot of people ( me included ) have ditched the top cover and just use a screen protector on the inner screen.Some users reported a problem with water getting between the top cover and the inner screen and causing a watermark.

As for screen protectors,there is a ZAGG,sold by Satmap but much cheaper if ordered direct from ZAGG;and Vikuiti which I use.

If you do a search on the forum you will find a few threads about screen covers.

Of course if you don't use use the cover there will be no need to remove it

Ian
senlac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone,some great advice,I'll do exactly that Ian and get a Zagg protector. Pete.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

Before you lays your money out on a ZAGG,bear in mind that they do not appear to be as easy to apply as they were when they originally came out for the Satmap.

I had to replace mine and had terrible trouble with the replacement as air bubbles easily got trapped underneath and were reluctant to go,whereas the original was easy to apply without air bubbles.I eventually removed it and got a refund from ZAGG ( full marks for the 30-day guarantee ).

Have a look at these:-

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/?adwords=1&gclid=CLeYnKCC5Z8CFUYB4wodpDNdGQ

There is one for the Satmap,they are much easier to apply,are cheaper and come in a matt or glossy finish.Oh and you can remove and reapply them,ZAGG are to all intents and purposes a one shot job.

Ian
senlac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone,theres still a lot of questions I don't know the answers to,but I have just printed off the 61 page full user guide,and hopefully all will be answered in there,and by just experimenting with the unit,but its great to know I can always come on here and get really helpful advice,
I ordered the Vikuiti 160 Ian,thanks again.Because the screen cover is so difficult to remove (I ended up pushing part of the rubber seal in at the top,and have tried that hard and for that long that I have made two white marks on the side of the cover where the black has literally worn off,and I have seen the youtube footage and tried it)that I may just put it over the actual top cover,so that I never have to take it off,
by the way,I don't know if the design has changed slightly,but mine does not have the little gaps on the side that it shows you on the youtube video.
Thanks again, Pete.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may already know, or have sorted it anyway, but someone earlier had a problem like you with the rubber seal. If you ARE still trying to sort it, search the other Satmap threads for the post for the solution.

If you can't find it, and no one else comes in, re-post and I'll try to track it down again.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
You may already know, or have sorted it anyway, but someone earlier had a problem like you with the rubber seal. If you ARE still trying to sort it, search the other Satmap threads for the post for the solution.

If you can't find it, and no one else comes in, re-post and I'll try to track it down again.

Big Perk,

I think that may have been me.

Pete,

If you have pushed the rubber seal down trying to get the cover off then unscrew the two case screws at the top of the unit SLIGHTLY and the rubber seal should return to its position.

Be VERY careful retightening the screws and DO NOT overtighten like I did when one went through the case and had to be returned to Satmap to be repaired.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: