Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple Product Launch - iTablet, iSlate blah blah
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Product Launch - iTablet, iSlate blah blah
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

But good point though. If it could have Word etc then perhaps Apple can do for the tablet market what Windows failed to do....

Not sure what you mean here.

MS have done that for years with their tablet laptops. Better still, write on the screen with the pen and let the recognition software convert it to type and enter it into any document, or text field within any application for that matter.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Incidently did anyone notice this story?

No, but I think Microsoft have had a few attempts at this market isn't the 'slate-pc' just a variation on the 'Ultra Mobile'? What will be the difference between 'slate-pc' & Windows Mobile 7 when it's released, I suspect very little.

One very important thing to remember Apple have mastered multi touch Microsoft are trying to catch up, also Apple generally release products that just work... and work well. I'm not an Apple fan, I've grown up and work with Microsoft products but there's no comparison between Apple & Microsoft when it comes to Mobile Devices, I have iPhone & HTC HD2 and the iphone wins.....
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I'm working on 2 assumptions there.

I have no doubt Tablets work, but who wants one? A couple of posts up i mentioned the new "Slate" PCs that run Windows 7. That story will never get any near the amount of the coverage the iPad story will. Every tech site is linking to the iPad story. The Slate story was an additional story on the BBC News website. Was anyone watching the news live to see the "Slate" announcement? Has the Slate been the mumor of the tech world for the last 2 weeks? No. Personally i hadn't heard of a Slate until i clicked on the story above tonight 5 hours after the iPad was announced. Even those laptops that had spinning round screens to turn them into a tablets didn't really take off.

In 7 years of working with peoples home PCs i have only ever seen 1 touch screen PC and one tablet device. A couple of people have mentioned them and always look and sound dismissive over them over a "proper" laptop. Even business users.

Apple will reverse this trend and Ipads will now be "cool" and laptops "sad". Slates will remain (almost) unheard of or some sort of second class Ipad.

Put it this way. If Apple marketed a kick in the nuts, they'd sell like hot cakes.

However as this is my opinion it's bound to be wrong. Wink
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
also Apple generally release products that just work... and work well.

Which is the other point i forgot to make above! Well spotted (in advance!)
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasn't got GPS Third Question Question Exclamation Exclamation And it would cover half the windscreen if it did?? I'm with mikealder on this one.

A shame though as I've always been a fan of Macs (non-paying - I only used them at work). After all SJ gave us the desktop-type GUI LONG before BillG/MS did, IIRC ( I STILL wonder how they got away without being sued on patent/copyright grounds).

I hope GPS does get added - I'm sure I would find a way to use it.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Even those laptops that had spinning round screens to turn them into a tablets didn't really take off.

A couple of people have mentioned them and always look and sound dismissive over them over a "proper" laptop. Even business users.

I have the HP spinning thing and in all honesty I use the touch feature very little, but the fold flat and portrait format is often useful. Although it has the feature, for sure the last thing I want to do is poke it with my fingers as all screen users will appreciate. True it never gained great popularity I guess because its expensive by comparison.

The pen feature is a niche market aimed mainly towards graphics and artwork so I wouldn't expect Joe or the business community to go for it. Third party plug in tablet sketch pads are more cost effective and probably more common.

Back to the iPad, bearing in mind Powerpoint is the industry standard for presentation is there "an app for that" to satisfy the business types?

Not trying to be smart, I just don't know the answer.

edit: Some talk of converting to mp4 which is dumb, but there is a suite for the iPhone so should be compatible. Link

With suitable screen protection I can see this finding its way into corporate brief cases.

Last edited by Mullet on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Third party plug in tablet sketch pads are more cost effective and probably more common.

Very true. I used to work in a marketing company where everyone had Windows PC except the artwork peeps, who had Macs. Touch screens were mentioned once but they dismissed it as they don't want to get that close to the screen and the tablet pads were much cheaper to hit when artwork came back for a 4th revision!!

Quote:
With suitable screen protection I can see this finding its way into corporate brief cases.

Most likely across the entire board, from post room boy to CEO.
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does
"Assisted GPS in wifi +3G models"
mean?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can mean a couple of things:

Software that helps speed up satellite lock times - like TomTom QuickGPSFix

Or a GPS that uses positioning data from mobile phone masts to calculate it's position.

It appears the iPad has the latter. i.e. not REAL GPS but a system of using data from mobile phone masts to work out where it is...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Looks nice but isn't this just an eReader with iPod functionallity, I was hoping for a few more killer apps similar to Excel & Word that would allow me to take notes whilst in meetings.

Which it has! iWork is Apples version of Office, it was heavily demo'd in the launch event with each app costing $9.99. Pages = Word, Keynote = PowerPoint and Numbers = Excel.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong I like this and I'm likley to buy one but isn't this just another device to open up another revenue stream, ebooks ?

I don't see it as a great eReader but for full colour newspaper and magazine subs it could be very good.
Quote:
Also a little expensive, the US prices translate to :

16 GB 32 GB 64 GB
Wi-Fi £299 £399 £450
Wi-Fi + 3G £399 £450 £599

You think that's expensive? My iPhone cost £540 on PAYG. Most including me think it's very much cheaper than expected. Consider the Kindle costs £220. That makes the entry level iPad rather a bargain in my book?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an email from Apple sales today, introducing the iPad. The second paragraph says
Quote:
This device has not yet been authorised as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorisation is obtained.

The introductory banner says Magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price. The "more details" link leads to a web page which says prices will be announced later.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The "more details" link leads to a web page which says prices will be announced later.

Rather a silly error given prices were announced at the launch!

There is still much confusion over the A-GPS and whether this is a GPS as in iPhone (i.e. a proper GPS albeit not a great one) or a cell triangulation system only.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There is still much confusion over ....

The iBooks feature also?

It's all very early yet.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my link was for UK...
http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/?cid=CDM-EU-2842&cp=em-2842-2842&sr=em

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
vicz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPad does include a GPS and there is a 3G version. I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes. Most of the gain-sayers are 'advanced' PC/Mac/'Tech' users - relax guys, this device is not aimed at you. The iPad will succeed where other tablets fail because it has a suitable OS - not Win 7 or the execrable Windows Mobile.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: