Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mac GPS users - what maps should i use in Garmins Roadtrip?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac GPS users - what maps should i use in Garmins Roadtrip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodd1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Mac GPS users - what maps should i use in Garmins Roadtrip? Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum and hand held GPS devices.

I have recently purchased a Colorado 300 which i think is great, i got the OS Discoverer maps on SD card too, which work well on the device.

However, Roadtrip (mac version of MapSource) only has the base maps, and it's impossible to import Discoverer maps from the SD Card to use in Roadtrip. Sad

After doing a little research i learned you can convert the windows only map .img files such as the ones found with OpenStreetMap in to a Mac compatible format using a program called Gmapibuilder. Only problem is the link to download the program on the Wiki site is dead....

So here i am at square one again. I really can't understand why Garmin and such can't get their finger out and provide a one stop solution instead of leaving customers high and dry after spending a small fortune purchasing their products. I've already purchased the license to run Discoverer maps on the GPS device, so why shouldnt i be able to use it on the mac for plotting routes, which of course would be the ideal solution.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any advice!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you purchased the maps on DVD, you would have usable maps on both the computer for trip planning and device, tho still locked for use on one device only. The problem with licenced versions on SD is that they have always been locked to the card. If they allowed you to move them to another card (or computer in this case), what would prevent a buyer from making as many copies as they wished? It's really not Garmin, it's simply a standard for software purchased on an SD card.
Rodd1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The GB Discoverer maps for National Parks is NOT available on DVD. Only SD card.

As far as i can see, both Roadtrip and Basecamp are totally useless to anyone interested in hiking, or to do anything else for that matter.

I have telephoned Garmin support today and asked if there are any trail maps compatible with either Roadtrip or Basecamp for Mac, The simple answer was NO!. Only basic TOPO maps showing a few roads.

Excuse me if i'm wrong, but doesnt that render both programs completely USELESS! and POINTLESS? Mad

You can't even convert the free OpenStreetMap to use in Roadtrip Sad

I really wish i'd purchased a different product. Mad [/b]
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you're understanding how to properly use RoadTrip (or even MapSource) with your Colorado. Yes, there are lots of compatible maps for your Garmin, and hundreds of them are free. Things will be much clearer if you pay a visit to GPSFileDepot.com. They're focused on off-road and hiking devices and mapping, with a very knowledgable user base. Look for posts by a member named Boyd. His advice is generally spot on.
Rodd1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks for that but i'd already tried there. For the UK there are NO other maps useful for hiking other than Ordinance Survey Maps (Garmin Discoverer Maps).

The next best would be the free open source streetmaps, however since i cant import them in to Roadtrip, it's pretty pointless.

I am alarmed that you can buy a 12.99 app for the iphone which will allow you to download 1gb of 1:50k OS mapping directly to the phone which effectively turns the iphone in to a GPS. For 12.99 these maps are also accessible localy on your computer.

With devices such as Memory Map and Satmap, you can get the mapping that also runs on your computer.

WAKE UP GARMIN, YOU'RE WAY BEHIND THE TIMES.

Anyone reading this, and lives in the UK, and is looking for a GPS!

DONT BUY GARMIN!!!!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A download of that mapset would have also put the maps on your computer before loading to your Colorado. I'm surprised you didn't notice that advice at the site I mentioned. Unfortunately you chose an SD card. While convenient and able to be moved between devices as you need, they can't be transferred from the card to computer.

FWIW, I'm still old school and using MapSource to transfer map segments to my Dakota. But I'm slowly warming up to BaseCamp, the pc version of Roadtrip. I'll get there eventually.
Rodd1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great, except you can't. I've already spoke to Customer support about this option.

The downloadable maps you mention can ONLY be used on the device and isnt compatible with either Mapsource, Roadtrip or Basecamp.

The CS representative told me that Garmin did't purchase a license for the use of OS mapping for PC or Mac.

So if you live in the UK and want any degree of flexibility planning hiking routes etc, DONT BUY GARMIN, you'll be wasting your money!!!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies Rodd. A bit of checking confirms most of the points you made. I should have been more careful to check before posting my suggestions. All I could recommend to you at this point is using one of the 3rd party on-line services offering OSM maps to build a route for export as a gpx, then upload that to your device. Perfectly right for you to be disappointed in the trip planning using your own OSM mapping with Roadtrip/Basecamp.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although a bit long winded and will cost you a bit extra - Get Memory Map for your PC so you can go offline and still have the OS Maps. To create routes and waypoints etc, use GPS Babel. Tracks and plots from the Garmin can be converted using GPS babel to something Memory Map is happy with.

Any software that provide maps and the ability to save routes will work.

My detailed knowledge of all these is a bit rusty and I have not used them for a couple of years. But with GPS Babel, you can convert anything to anything when it comes to GPS tracks/routes/waypointes etc - and it's free.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the maps from here may help in your planning:

http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: