Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 730 and traffic via Vodafone PAYG
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 730 and traffic via Vodafone PAYG
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to muddy the waters here and go off on the wrong track, but
1) I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 on Vodafone contract and it will not let my 720T (updated to a 730T) connect at all to Vodafone. If I put the same sim in my SE902 it works perfectly. I am advised that TT changed the bluetooth stack and it certain phones are affected. If I revert back to earlier software on the TT, prior to v8.10 I think, the vodafone connection works perfectly.

2) You say you may have a memory issue on the 730? I have had 3 720's and have had a problem with every one. My current one is only about 2 months old, factory replaced and it is starting to exhibit symptoms that affected earlier 720's I had that went wrong. Sometimes not booting up, error message saying file access error; cant store the map'. I'd read in another forum some 720's have duff memeory chips. not sure if this is true or not, but may also be a factor on the 730?
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MoPlain, My 730 has not worked properly since I got it. I think it's a problem with memory overflow. Fingers crossed sending it back will fix it. I can't be re-installing the o/s every time I get a new map.
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GOOD news is that I have eventually got the SE 750i PAYG to connect with the 730. I thought I would give it one more go before it is repaired. The success came from combining two posts, one from Mr. T and the other from bw2020. The settings that worked for me were

APN = pp.internet
user = web
password = web
Dial = *99***5#
logscript = at+cgdcont=5,"ip","pp.vodafone.co.uk"

Using the awful TT keyboard where your can't move the cursor so you have to keep retyping a long string meant it was some while before I got to logscript=5 as it wasn't automatically suggested but it worked. If I had followed bw2020's suggestion on the logscript first I would have got there faster.

Many thanks for everybody's help. Much appreciated.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you are interested, the reason why there is the dial string *99***5# is that TomTom creates another Data Account with a CID=5 on your mobile phone. I assume TomTom works on the assumption that you will not already have five data accounts on your phone. It is a bit odd as you would expect TomTom to use your existing data account that you have set up on the phone. Personally I do not want another data account set up on my phone and on some phones this can overwrite or delete an exisitng account (not all phones allow five).

I have never needed the logscript, all the script AT+CDGCONT=5,"IP","pp.vodaphone.co.uk" does is tell the phone to dial using account CID=5, use IP protocol and an APN of "pp.vodaphone.co.uk" (which in this case conflicts with the phone APN of pp.internet) whilst the dial command *99****5# tells it to use the phones CID5 settings.

As it all works now, best leave it alone.
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. T. Yes I am interested as I was wondering why it had to be so complicated. I had tried the shorter strings but it didn't work. I suspect now it was pilot error as it was late at night when I was trying to set it up. As you say, leave well alone if it is working, so I will, but thank you for your advice. This topic should help a lot of others out if they have a similar Vodafone PAYG problem

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: