Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x20 and x30 sunsetted?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x20 and x30 sunsetted?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still stuck with 7.901

Tomtom have not updated the rider 2 for some time. They are still selling the same model and map upgrades but no changes to the Navcor.

I asked themwhen there was going to be an update, the answer was we update the software regularly but they could not tell me when they would update the Rider2.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst TomTom haven't offered an update for your device for some time does it really need one?

It still offers the same functionality and capability as it did when you bought it and, you still have the availability of new up to date maps to run on the device should you choose to update.

Take some time out to consider other manufacturers of GPS navigation devices who sell units and offer no updates and no map upgrades so after 12 months you are left with a rather costly paper weight - At least with the TomTom product range you have a device that is capable of accepting map updates long since the sell by date - Mike
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Whilst TomTom haven't offered an update for your device for some time does it really need one?

It still offers the same functionality and capability as it did when you bought it and, you still have the availability of new up to date maps to run on the device should you choose to update.

Take some time out to consider other manufacturers of GPS navigation devices who sell units and offer no updates and no map upgrades so after 12 months you are left with a rather costly paper weight - At least with the TomTom product range you have a device that is capable of accepting map updates long since the sell by date - Mike

Mike - very true. As a 720 owner, I know it's the end of it's life in respect of the newer models out there, but I like the idea that as new models get new designs of interfaces etc, so this could apply to older models. It's just - nice, I suppose. I don't expect it, but love it when it happens. In a way, a new interface, for example, makes me feel like it's a new unit - after all, I have new maps, which I pay for, so the backbone to it can be updated too. Like a computer you update from XP to Vista, to W7.

Basically, I know it's old, but it's nice to be able to keep it fresh and new if possible.

As to your other point regarding other devices, so true. My Mum bought my Dad a cheapy sat nav for about £60 last Xmas, and the unit was appalling. Not just in terms of updates but limited everything. Thus I remain a TT fan, despite other grumblings...
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid wrote:
Keith/Mike

Would the aforementioned email also allow the navcore to work on a TT720, and if so, any chance of sending it to me?

Thanks

Andy

Thanks to the link from Mike and Keith, I now have installed the latest navcore on a TT720 and it works fine - so far. It's 10.30pm here so I'm not about to go and try it but it certainly looks nicer.

One big thing I have already noticed - the volume level is back to the early days of being loud. I normally had my most recent version set to 90% - now it seems very loud and I have reduced it. Could it be TT have reverted back to that originally known? Shock horror...
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid wrote:
As a 720 owner, I know it's the end of it's life in respect of the newer models out there, but I like the idea that as new models get new designs of interfaces etc, so this could apply to older models. It's just - nice, I suppose. .

I moved from Navman a couple of years ago for the simple reason that my 18 month old ICN510 was no longer supported, no new maps were going to be issued and the maps I had were well out of date. At least Tomtom continue to support their oldest machines with new maps.... This was one of my reasons for buying my 720. Applications may lag behind, but the more Tomtom try to shoehorn in, the greater the number of problems - because the last map update kept the old application, there were few problems this time.

MOD EDIT: just to sort out quotation (it looked like it was from Mike_A)
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the OP also got this update through home earlier last evening, installed ok and seems to work, more features available and a much nicer looking menu system. App: is now 8.392(1909/091109) OS:342099. Surprised
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
The cab file name kind of gives it away

8.392.go_work.CAB-navcore-GO-WORK.cab

Andy, how does the 'work' Navcore app differ from 'normal' applications? Is there any benefit in loading it on either of my x30 devices? Much of my driving is done in a 3.5 tonne Motorhome.

I currently have v8.351 on both & latest maps.

Edited..Just had a look inside that app. If you have a look at ttw.bif it says the app. is for the following:-

[TomTomWORK]
version=8.392
build=1909
turia=go520,go720,go920,go530,go630,go730,go930,go7000
bremen=go520,go720,go920,go530,go630,go730,go930,go7000
murcia=go9000
Don't think I will bother as there are a number of possibly corrupt files within the app. I have enough to do without creating more work for myself. Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the options to set the vehicle profile to truck and set the vehicle size/ weight etc. Depending upon which map you have installed it might offer different routes, my 720 is on an old map so I get a red screen telling me the map doesn't support truck profile, running a non standard Navcore on the 940 does produce different routes when switched between car and truck, see Here - I would give it a try on the device as you have nothing to loose by trying it - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You have the options to set the vehicle profile to truck and set the vehicle size/ weight etc. Depending upon which map you have installed it might offer different routes, my 720 is on an old map so I get a red screen telling me the map doesn't support truck profile, running a non standard Navcore on the 940 does produce different routes when switched between car and truck, see Here - I would give it a try on the device as you have nothing to loose by trying it - Mike

Thanks, Mike. Good sense as we now come to expect from you. I was a little concerned at the number of reasonable size files in that download which are 'recovered file fragments'. But, as you say, nothing to lose from trying it and it certainly would be useful for my type of travelling. I have backups so can always go back. If I get time this w/e I might try it on the 630. Liked the U-tube video!
Graham
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always files that Windows sees as 'Recovered File fragments' - nothing to worry about.

TT decided to use the .chk extension for some of the files (data.chk etc), Windows CheckDisk uses the same extension for recovered files.

Blame TT for using an extension that has been around for ever as a recovered file fragment as the extension for some of the system files on a TT.
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Thanks, Mike. Good sense as we now come to expect from you. I was a little concerned at the number of reasonable size files in that download which are 'recovered file fragments'. But, as you say, nothing to lose from trying it and it certainly would be useful for my type of travelling. I have backups so can always go back. If I get time this w/e I might try it on the 630. Liked the U-tube video!
Graham

I have now got 8.392 running on my 730T and having used it this week , I can honestly say I like the look of it.
The Car/Van/Bus/Truck option may come in handy in the future , but at the moment I am just happy that my 730T looks a bit 'blinged up' again.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeePee. As you state, the "work" NavCore is v8.392. The NavCore in the YouTube video is v9.xxx. Although they look the same there are subtle differences. On my TTgo730 the horizontal bar is not segmented into three, it has remained as per v8.351. The feature of changing vehicle type does not work on my TT with EU maps v825.2157: the "Edit Vehicle Profile" icon is displayed but tapping the "Truck" icon returns an Error and tapping any other vehicle icon returns the same IQ route as the normal car icon (1762km from Spain to the UK). As my maps are not up to date, I do not know if the feature doesn't work due to an incompatibility with the Maps or the Device. Newer maps may work, I don't know.
However, I have noticed that when driving with a route planned, my TT is now "locked down" and I can not delve deeper into the TT beyond ONE menu page which has only the icons on it that TT deem necessary to have available en-route. Whilst I accept this must be a safety feature and therefore welcomed, it is driving me nuts as I would often use the time waiting at traffic lights or pulling into a Lay-By to check camera info, compare POI's or naming Favourites before I forget the information stored in my head.

So, for me, I am afraid the upgrade has only added the fresh look and I am 50/50 at the moment of going back to v8.351. If I knew last week what I know now, I wouldn't upgrade. Will I "downgrade"? possibly, although it is a lot of effort for little gain.

Decisions, decisions.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
The feature of changing vehicle type does not work on my TT with EU maps v825.2157: the "Edit Vehicle Profile" icon is displayed but tapping the "Truck" icon returns an Error and tapping any other vehicle icon returns the same IQ route as the normal car icon (1762km from Spain to the UK). As my maps are not up to date, I do not know if the feature doesn't work due to an incompatibility with the Maps or the Device. Newer maps may work, I don't know.

I have the latest UK maps on my 720. Navcore 8.392 allows me to set the truck attributes, but then says "The current map does not contain truck attributes" and gives the route for a car.

Quote:
Will I "downgrade"? possibly, although it is a lot of effort for little gain.

Whenever I want to install a new Navcore, whether it's offered to me via Home or I want to try one that's meant for a different device, I always copy the contents of the device, less the maps, to an SD card, and install the new version to that via a card reader. When the card is inserted the device will boot from the new app on the card. Then if I want to "downgrade" it only takes "a little effort" to remove the card.

A tip I've learnt from this forum - if you're doing a manual install of a version not intended for your device, delete the file "system" from the download before copying the folders and files across, or the bootloader version on your device might be updated, causing problems with future legitimate updates.
Samsung Galaxy S21
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita
Anita wrote:
I have the latest UK maps on my 720. Navcore 8.392 allows me to set the truck attributes, but then says "The current map does not contain truck attributes" and gives the route for a car.

With your latest, maps do you get a different route when you tap the Van or Taxi icon?. If I tap either of these it returns the same route as the Car.

Anita wrote:
Whenever I want to install a new Navcore, ....... I always copy the contents of the device, less the maps, to an SD card, ........

........if you're doing a manual install of a version not intended for your device, delete the file "system" from the download before copying the folders and files across, or the bootloader version on your device might be updated, causing problems with future legitimate updates.

Many thanks for those tips.

Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi Anita
Anita wrote:

With your latest, maps do you get a different route when you tap the Van or Taxi icon?. If I tap either of these it returns the same route as the Car.
Anita wrote:
Whenever I want to install a new Navcore, ....... I always copy the contents of the device, less the maps, to an SD card, ........

........if you're doing a manual install of a version not intended for your device, delete the file "system" from the download before copying the folders and files across, or the bootloader version on your device might be updated, causing problems with future legitimate updates.

Many thanks for those tips.

Regards.

Hello Ali,
I would have thought that if you were set up with the Van setting it would calculate the route accordingly , avoiding any narrow roads / low bridges to take you to your destination.
But if there are'nt any of these restrictions on the route then it would be the same route as for the Car setting anyway would'nt it ?
I have no idea about the Taxi setting though.
Is there not anything on the TomTom website explaining the differences between the Car/Taxi/Van/Truck settings ?

Hello Anita,
Thanks from me too for this tip.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: