Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S50 for use in UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S50 for use in UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussiebob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: S50 for use in UK Reply with quote

I am an Australian, living in Australia, and am traveling to the UK May 2010. I have an S45 (don't think that is available in the UK) and rather than buy the UK maps for that unit, I bought and have just received a "repacked" S50 from Navman UK, supposedly loaded with the UK maps. Unfortunately, the unit has the maps for Andorra, Portugal and Spain activated and I have sent an email to Navman UK in order to rectify this problem. Hopefully it will be resolved without too much hassle, but only time will tell. Navman service in Australia is quite dreadful so one can but hope that Navman UK (or is it Mio??) is somewhat better. Otherwise I might have to buy UK maps separately.

But, I have 2 questions that I would like answered by those with S50 units. The S50 is not available in Australia and I feel that UK users will have the knowledge that I am seeking.

Unlike the S45, when I plug the S50 into my AC power adapter (NOT a genuine NAVMAN) the screen goes to the one that is used when connected to the PC and Navdesk. I am not able to be connected to the power and access the unit's various screens. I can turn off this "communication" screen (the one that shows the PC connected to the GPS unit (which incidentally has a big red X through it so it appears to be aware that it is not connected to the PC and Navdesk)) by turning off the power button on the GPS but am not able to get to the configuration screens to set up "Favourites" etc. Is this usual for the S50 model because the S45 can certainly tell the difference between connection to a PC and "just power". Does using a "Genuine Navman Adapter" make any difference?

Second question is to do with voices.
The English voices available on the S50 give the choice of "English (AUSTRALIAN)" and "English (UK)" with the next choice being "Australian Female" or ".... Male" [Also UK Female/Male].
With my S45, only one of the available voices gives the full voice guidance where "turn left in 200 metres, Brown Avenue" is enunciated. Because I am not in the UK and actually traveling, I am not able to test out the capability of the voices (except that I do have voices repeating certain keystroke entries such as house numbers). I assume that the S50 does indeed have the ability to give the "full" guidance with turns etc but, which voice/voices do I need? Does one of the "AUS or UK" Female/Male do the full job? For obvious reasons I need to know this before I head off to the UK. Too late when I am sitting in the hire car and discover that I should have loaded other voices from the disk or the web.

My wife and I are certainly looking forward to touring UK next year and I feel that the S50 will be a great help ...... so long as I have everything working correctly. Just have to get the correct maps and need to be sure of the voice guidance. Apart from that, how about some decent weather??javascript:emoticon('Cool')
Regards,
Bob
ccs_digital
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to use a genuine Navman charger (either car or mains power) as the mini USB pin outs are specifically configured for the device. A 'generic' charger will be detected as a data connection to computer, hence the USB connection screen being shown.

As far as I know, you will need the UK voice (either male or female) for proper functionality with UK maps. Not sure if the S50 supports text to speech though, so you may find it only says 'turn left in 200 metres' and doesn't add the 'Brown Avenue'

Hope this is helpful, and enjoy your trip to the UK (currently deep in snow here!)
aussiebob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: S50 Wall charger difficulties Reply with quote

This is all too confusing for me!
I have just received a "no brand" wall charger which delivers 5v 1000mA ("same as original Navman", so they claim) and, it does EXACTLY what I want. Not only does it charge, but it also gives me access to the user screens at the same time. ie, the GPS unit does NOT think that it has been connected to a computer and go into communication mode. How good is that!!
It appears that the secret to success is the output at 1000mA compared to the 500mA or thereabouts that the other devices pump out. Whereas my S45 is happy with the 500mA, the S50 is apparently coded to require 800 or so, which is the supposed output for the car chargers.
The new charger is small and light and will be fine as a traveling companion. And, at about $11 AU it is certainly MUCH cheaper that the Navman model, which I was prepared to buy if all else failed AND if I could be sure that it would operate in the manner I wanted.

Looks as though that problem has been solved. At last.

But now to get Navman to reply to my email requesting the correct (UK) maps that are supposed to be loaded on the S50. I am not intending to visit Spain, Andorra or Portugal in the near future and just want the UK maps that were advertised as "loaded", but unfortunately have not been activated before shipping from Navman.
Anyone have suggestions as to how I can get Navman to at least acknowledge my email? As for actually getting them to solve the problem, I suspect that is going to be even more difficult than obtaining the charger that works.

Is there a secret, magic email address that Navman UK actually replies to? Here in Australia it is well known that Navman service is ......... (not sure how to describe it) but I am hoping that Navman UK might be more "supportive".

Regards
Bob
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aussie bob,

When anything is connected to a USB port the device is given a 500mA charge, most manufacturers use this to get the device to switch in to "PC Mode".
All car chargers and mains chargers should use 800-1000 mA.

Regarding the maps, Navman may have to collect the incorrect device and replace it, but easiest would be to send the UK unlock key to you.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: S50 for use in UK Reply with quote

aussiebob wrote:
(Power supply.....) Is this usual for the S50 model because the S45 can certainly tell the difference between connection to a PC and "just power". Does using a "Genuine Navman Adapter" make any difference?

it COULD as the official power supply COULD send a different voltage through one of the connections that would 'tell' the S50 it is connected to PC or Power. not 100% certain on this though.

aussiebob wrote:
(Voices) With my S45, only one of the available voices gives the full voice guidance where "turn left in 200 metres, Brown Avenue" is enunciated. Because I am not in the UK and actually traveling, I am not able to test out the capability of the voices (except that I do have voices repeating certain keystroke entries such as house numbers). I assume that the S50 does indeed have the ability to give the "full" guidance with turns etc but...

This feature is known as 'Text To Speech' BUT the S50 does NOT have this feature. you would simply get instructions liek 'Turn left in 200 yards' without it saying the street names.

aussiebob wrote:
Apart from that, how about some decent weather?? Cool

sorry, can't help you with that!! having said that, the last 2 years we've had better weather in april and may than we have throughout summer...

hope you have a great trip and do let us know how you get on! don't forget we have a LOT of speed cameras and mobile traps over here and, as you'll be in a hire car with uk plates, if you get caught then you'll get the fine slapped onto your bill at some point...! you could always subscribe to our database here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php we also have a very good database for australia as well. the navman has some limitations in the number of custom POIs you can install, but do ask if you need any more advice!

MaFt
aussiebob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume (hope??) that one day I will succeed in getting Navman to sort out the mess surrounding the incorrect maps loaded on the S50 and as soon as that is up and away, I will be looking like crazy at the speed camera situation for the UK.
My impression is that the speed cameras are there in great numbers and must be taken into account when touring around. I expect that because we will be in unused to areas and will have many things to contend with, that it will be quite easy to exceed the limit during a lapse of concentration. I don't want to blot my copy book by breaking the law in the UK!
So yes, I will be into the speed camera locations, as soon as I overcome the situation with the maps. If only Navman were more communicative with their support. But I did receive an acknowledgment email today, the first one ever. So that looks just a little bit promising (or am I deluding myself?)
Bob
aussiebob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Navman/Mio to the rescue!! Reply with quote

It was only yesterday that I sent off my (second) email to Navman/Mio and included the previous one, to which I had not received even an acknowledgment.
However, this time I was onto the right email address,not easy to find, just like hen's teeth, and that made all the difference. It appears that the address given on the order documentation that was with the S50 when I opened the box was "an old address that is not in use any more". I am trying very hard to make allowances but the fact that I only bought the unit a month ago and that the supplied address is incorrect ..... well it is not a good look from where I am sitting.
BUT, within a very short time I received an email stating that my request was now in the system and within 12 hours or so, I had received all the info that I craved. An activation code for the UK maps as well as a link for the SP2 that I maybe should be loading. Brief but informative instructions were also supplied. But why a recently purchased unit should need updating with software that apparently was released some time back and was not installed before sending to me is a question that will probably remain unanswered forever. This unit has not been sitting on a retailer's shelf, it came direct from Navman.
But the main thing is that "Greg" of Navman support did a great job and did it without any delay. Many thanks to him.

I now have the UK maps installed (as well as Ireland) and all I need to do is to download and install the speed camera DB.

MaFt, are you one of the forum leaders or "just" a knowledgeable user of Navman units? Whatever category you are in, thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
Bob
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussiebob - i've split your last query into a thread of it's own here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=81183

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: