Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Swindon's Camera Removal policy vindicated
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Swindon's Camera Removal policy vindicated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Swindon's Camera Removal policy vindicated Reply with quote

See
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/148579/Crash-deaths-drop-to-zero-after-speed-cameras-axed-
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i'm not the greatest fan of speed cameras i would query the statistics here...

there have actually been more incidents (2 serious + 4 slight = 6 compared to 1 fatal + 4 slight = 5 in 2008). i also don't see how you can directly compare 3 months in one year with 3 months in another. were all the other conditions exactly the same? were there the same number of cars? were there the same roadworks in the same places? were there the same events going on in each year? was it the same people driving each year? were the weather conditions the same?

surely something like this needs more than a 3 month comparison? what about the statistics for november and so far into december? have they been missed out because i would spoil their results? we've had a lot of snow in december, i wonder if that has increased the number of injuries? also, how come we're basing 'safety' on the number of actual injuries? i would have thought that to make something 'safe' is to reduce the POTENTIAL for injuries - i.e. a crash with no injuries is still not 'safe' as there was potential for injury.

one final point, there's no mention that these injuries were acquired near where the speed cameras were - so there may not be ANY link to speed cameras anyway!

i fully expect to be shot down for this mini rant :D

MaFt
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point that is being made is that there is no significant difference caused by the cameras being removed, this would suggest that in the short term at least the removal has little or no effect, perhaps in the longer term if they see a measurable rise in accidents they may put them back.

The problem with speed cameras is that almost every local person knows where they are or might be, and slows down when approaching them, and drives as normal when not near them.

The best upholders of traffic law are in my opinion an adequate presence of visible traffic officers, as there are far more problems upon our roads than just speeding that only police officers can have some influence upon. They also use relevant discretion as well and this seems to have greater effect. A polite warning pointing out the dangers of someones misdemeanor can really make a difference.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
The best upholders of traffic law are in my opinion an adequate presence of visible traffic officers, as there are far more problems upon our roads than just speeding that only police officers can have some influence upon. They also use relevant discretion as well and this seems to have greater effect. A polite warning pointing out the dangers of someones misdemeanor can really make a difference.

i agree 100% Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they'e also reporting that numbers caught speeding have halved since the cameras were removed. well, isn't that obvious?!! there's less stuff to catch them with!!!

it doesn't mean people aren't speeding, it means they're not being caught!

MaFt
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
they'e also reporting that numbers caught speeding have halved since the cameras were removed. well, isn't that obvious?!! there's less stuff to catch them with!!!

it doesn't mean people aren't speeding, it means they're not being caught!

MaFt

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
you have to laugh at that 1 ..of course they will halve if you take them away

People are only fooling themselves if they think removing cameras will reduce the number of deaths
Thing is gatso's are not the way to go as everyone knows where they are ,what they need to do is triple the amount of radars they use and catch people speeding that way
My biggest bugbear is with people who do 40mph in a 60mph then when the speed drops to 30mph they carry on at 40mph ... If I could have my way I would have specs cameras installed at every school and every village in the country to stop these speeding freaks

cameras are a good thing and they have made me slow down a heck of a lot as I now stick to the speed limits Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this a lovely thread?
MaFt wrote:
Happy to oblige - Kaboom! Gun Shoot Out Kaboom! Gun Shoot Out i fully expect to be shot down for this mini rant

EricWB wrote:
The best upholders of traffic law are in my opinion an adequate presence of visible traffic officers
Guess what? One of the decommissioned cameras is about a couple of hundred yards from a "No right turns into petrol station" sign on the westbound A420 which is also hardly more than a quarter of a mile from the local, very big, very new, police HQ. So why did some **** park on the centre line waiting to turn right holding up a long line of traffic which without the camera now might well have approached his rear end at 60mph? I fear the traffic officers were not there.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: