Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another HD Traffic FAIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another HD Traffic FAIL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware it was an issue with the servers, not a capacity issue.

I had feedback that they were well aware of the issue and working on it - I think it was fixed pretty quickly for TT - other similar problems (RDS-TMC for example) dragged on for months before being rectified - this took 2 weeks.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy.

I still think, however, that Customer Services did themselves no favours, as per usual. Issuing statements such as "At present we have no solution for this challenge" hardly inspires confidence - it does not convey whether they are taking it seriously, know what is causing it, whether they are even bothering to investigate it... let alone if/when it will be fixed...

On the other had if they had said "We apologise for the problems some of our customers are experiencing with the Live Traffic Service. Our Technical Support team is working to remedy the fault as soon as possible", that not only assures individual customers that others are experiencing it (psychologically a problem is often easier to tolerate if you know others are affected by it, too!) but also means that TT accept that there *is* a problem (again, I think a big source of frustration with TT is that they often seem reluctant to admit to a problem.)

Was two weeks an acceptable amount of time to resolve this? Well it depends on what caused it. If the traffic server software was written by the same person who wrote the "Home" software (which, in fairness to TT, runs a tad better with the latest patches), then I'm not surprised the Traffic service started to die and a fortnight to fix was good going. On the other hand if all they've done is restart ther server (Cynical? Moi?), then that must be the world's slowest reboot!

--

Cheers,

Dave
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last post.

They could have done a lot more to inspire confidence in their ability to fix the problem. As a first response, before it became clear to them that this was not down to a few faulty GPS units, they should have changed their standard line to something like DaveMatthews said - something that acknowledged the problem, told people that there were others in the same boat and gave an indication that they were working hard to fix it. The solution came totally out of the blue, whereas it should have been something we expected to be fairly imminent if they had communicated with us properly.

They probably didn't want to admit liability in case we all jumped on a bandwagon and demanded a partial refund. But their terms & conditions probably say we can't have one, so we'd have been unsuccessful anyway I suspect.

It smacks of not being responsive and in-tune with the needs and wants of your customer base, which generally leads to failure in the marketplace. Let's hope they get a grip before that happens...

I'm very pleased that HD Traffic "appears" to be fixed though.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpg1 wrote:

It smacks of not being responsive and in-tune with the needs and wants of your customer base

As we've seen from the past, TT is not in a fit state to provide direct, customer-facing aftercare for its products. Previously their scope was the initial provision of working hardware, software and data (the latter of which is still woeful in many respects, of course). Now, however, with the "Live" models, they also have to provide support for a *service*. The fact that the techies had fixed the problem yet did not apparently bother to tell the Customer Services team simply further highlights the company's dysfunctionality.

--

Cheers,

Dave
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel chaos on the roads in the South-East this morning. HD Traffic is accurate, with the road closures all seemingly showing up. Weirdly though, even though the TT knew the road (A249) was closed, it still routed me through it. Second time that I've seen it try to route through a road it knows to be closed.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have traffic on my unit so don't speak from experience, just memory, and that is a scary thing..... Confused

But.......under planning preferences, at one point, is there not a setting about what to do if there is traffic and are not the choices to automatically take a better route, ask to take a better route or just keep on the same route? And, if so, is that how you have yours set, perchance?
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's set to change the route automatically if there's a faster route.

You wouldn't expect it to even consider a route with a closed road anyway, as all the traffic data was loaded before the route was planned!
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt865 wrote:
...even though the TT knew the road (A249) was closed, it still routed me through it. Second time that I've seen it try to route through a road it knows to be closed.

This has happened to me in the past. I have come to the reluctant conclusion that HD Traffic isn't smart enough to figure that roads with zero traffic on them are closed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: