Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTomGo 730 - Alternatives with Traffic and BT?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTomGo 730 - Alternatives with Traffic and BT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: TomTomGo 730 - Alternatives with Traffic and BT? Reply with quote

I have a TT GO 730 purchased Feb 2009 which is OK. But the Traffic application leaves a lot to be desired. i.e not showing hold ups that have been on going for several hours and not finding an alternative route.

I went into Halfords today I explained all of this and that I might be wanting to purchase another brand with the same apps which includes Blue-tooth. What you need is a Garmin they said. I asked about the favourites that I have accumulated can they be installed on a Garmin device. No the said. Is this true? and could anybody recommend a Garmin or other brand ?

Thanks
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can first convert your favourites to a custom poi set using Mike Alders information found here and then convert the poi file to a Garmin csv file using this link
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David for that part of the question answered.
Rgds
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if Halfords gave you THAT duff bit of advice, can you trust them about anything else???

Anyway, TomTom and Garmin are the market leaders, and are for a good reason.
Each have their champions on this site, but between them they are the best in the market.
Garmin have their own version of "Traffic", but I haven't heard any reports that it is significantly better than TomTom's effort (when it is working correctly). Both services depend on information from various third-party sources.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest if Traffic information is your major need you should be looking at one of the Live devices from TomTom, even though it requires you to pay a subscription charge the information offered is far more reliable than that delivered by the FM radio system. This accuracy is also bolstered by the HD Traffic system receiving its data from the built in GPRS modem with its own SIM card, mobile phone reception is far more reliable than the FM network so you get data with the Live system in areas devoid of FM coverage.

As for Halfords and poor advice, I don't think you can blast them for not knowing how to translate favourites from a TomTom in to a format that will work as a POI file on a Garmin or any other device. Lets face it there are probably a few hundred members of this site that know how to do it, but its far from the "run of the mill" request - Mike
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had heard reports that Halfords staff get better sweeteners from Garmin, and if you read the feedback on Amazon for many of the Garmin devices their traffic system is no better and reportedly worse.

I too use the TT traffic system and have to say it is pretty inaccurate. It can be good with with tailbacks in roadworks or longer term delays, but otherwise I find it is a notification of something ahead 'maybe'.

I've read up here and there recently as i was planning to move away from TomTom, and I think it was Navigon that seemed to get quite good reports, but obviously they are not as popular as TT. I think the aldo Medion systems are based on Navigon (?) so may be worth considering (bearing in mind they are easy to return to) but I'm not sure what they are like with map updates.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish i could do the Live thing, but it seems TomTom changed something and aren't changing it back. I can't get my 720 to connect and utilise my Blackberry Bold 9000 on Vodafone live contract. If i use the earlier software before 8.015 it works perfectly. It's documented elsewhere as an issue, blooming annoying.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the x40/ x50/ XL Live devices offer Live services your 720 cannot do this (unless you live in Holland and own a HD Traffic receiver for the device) - all you could get via a phones GPRS connection is some of their "Plus" services which are nothing like Live services - Mike
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, could be the way to go in future...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer above was assuming you had the HD Traffic service already, I mis-read your model number Embarassed .

So, yes, I can understand your comments about 'Traffic' a bit better, now I realise you were talking about the old RDS-TMC version.
Try to get a look at the TomTom HD Traffic on the LIVE services, and I think you'll be more impressed..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: