Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cannot install map updates on new 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot install map updates on new 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
PS Why don't you backup to your external drive Confused (Rhetorical question, begging abuse Shocked )

Because it's in the summerhouse (together with a spare hard disk). Abusive logic, n'est-ce-pas?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

External usually means external to the computer, not external to the house/county. Very Happy
I'll get me coat
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a problem with backups, they're easy, except....

Two methods...

1. Win Explorer, drag and drop to (external or spare internal) drive. Fine first time round, but after that, all that messing about with copy and replace or don't copy and replace. Remember to do it every day and don't bother having a life!

2. Get a bespoke backup program and install it on your PC, tell it when and where to backup and it's so smart it only backs up stuff which is new/changed. Great. But if your PC gets sick (which is when you want to use the backup), you can't run the backup program to recover your stuff! Maybe the answer is to install the backup program on another PC to put your recovery HD into to recover from, but I haven't got another PC. So do it with external HD and laptop.

Groan! Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurching back on-topic....

MoPlain complained that Home insisted on installing to the internal memory, even when the SD card was selected.
If I remember correctly, this was identified as a bug with the latest versions of Home, and I don't think it has been corrected yet.
One way round it would be to put the operating system files on the card temporarily (and maybe you need one voice too?), then you could run Home with the SD card in a card reader to do he map update.

Alternatively, has anyone tried rolling back to a slightly earlier version of Home, to see if you can still download the latest map that way?
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, thanks for that, it was digressing.

I ended up with everything in the internal memory and it all seems to be working properly now. However, I would like to try and get the maps onto a 2 or 4gb card and the apps onto the device internal memory for future painless updates. I wondered if there was a way to do this as I am a bit worried I am going to end up the maps not being linked to the device?

Also my new (LMG) 8.4 maps have downloaded to TomTom Home and are therefore stored locally on my computer. I want to do a format and reinstall of win 7. Obviously i cannot download these again and don't want them lost. Is it possible to just copy them to the same folder on a new installation of Home?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstalling Home won't affect the location of your downloaded maps which are on the computer, probably in this location:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

I would not waste my time (or money) with a 2-gig sdhc card, get a reliable 4-gig sdhc card for your map. That's how I run my map on a 4-gig sdhc card and the application on internal.

I have a separate 4-gig card for my Western Europe map. I just switch cards when the unit will be used (by my wife) in Europe.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just find the folder HOME has saved your maps in - check in your HOME preferences and it will tell you where it is saving them.

On WinXP it is in your My Documents\TomTom\HOME\download\complete\map folder.

To be on the safe side just take a copy of the entire HOME folder in the path above.

You can manually install maps - there is a zip and a cab file in the subfolder below the map folder above - just extract them both using WINRAR into the map (Western and Central Europe 2GB for example) on your device, after emptying the folder first.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpler than that... if, as you say, you have got to the stage where everything is installed on the internal memory and working fine, you can just move the map folder ("Western_Europe" or whatever yours might be called) onto the SD card.
The Go720 will happily find it there and will use both memory locations simultaneously, it's just this stupid bug in Home that makes getting it onto the card in the first place tricky at the moment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: