Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cannot install map updates on new 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot install map updates on new 720
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Cannot install map updates on new 720 Reply with quote

I am seriously unimpressed with Tom Tom. After 2 cr*ppy refurbished units I now have my third fresh out of the box. Regulars may recall my last would not run at all with anything after 8.3 Ok, this time around I have updated to the latest application, and deleted the files and folders as suggested (zip etc.) so I can do an install of the latest map. I have also deleted the mp3 files and the audiobooks. I have inserted a new 2Gb card with 1.9Gb free. I haven't 'tinkered' i have simply followed the update process within Home carefully doing it in stages.

All application updates have been to the internal memory.

I have rebooted and connected Home and wanted to install the LMG map to the storage card rather than internal memory. Even though I have selected the card, it always installs to internal memory and fails near the end with a few megabytes short of internal space. I have tried this 3 times now, always selecting the card which the device can obviously see.

Ok, firstly I am wondering why I can't get it to install to the card? Secondly once again Tom Tom with it's cr*ppy Home can't even allow an install direct to the device. If space is this critical on the device, clearly I haven't got enough space to copy my deleted folders back to the device if the map is so big. I certainly haven't got room to be adding Pocket GPS cameras and POI's. Of course i am trying to add the latest map which must be bigger than before.

Any advice this time please?

I am now at a stage that because of the failed installation I now get an error message if I try to switch on the device. "You cannot use this map on this device! western europe 106".

I suspect the install has corrupted my original map, or maybe the new application doesn't work with my old map?

I do have Explorer backups.

Any advice appreciated - thank you.

To be honest I have never known such a complete load of rubbish as tom tom. Despite the optimism of many in this group about the company, and actually my loyalty up to buying a 720 I feel they are complete let down now. Surely we should just plug in, update and go.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally got it going, nightmare but lots of messing and it's working.

However, could someone perhaps give me an idea why i cannot use my card for maps? It's FAT32 formatted and a quality Sandisk card. Is there anything I can do now to move the maps to the card?

PS One fault i am noticing is if i plug in and it asks connect to computer, I say yes and it just switches off requiring a reset and is very temperamental starting up from that?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try...

1. Backup with Explorer (yes I know you do).
2. Format SD Card.
3. Copy ONLY the map folder from backup to SD card.
4. Delete map folder from internal.

Run with card inserted.

To be honest, the way I and many others solved those problems was simply get a bigger SD card - 4GB is pretty cheap these days. The device will boot and run solely from the card if it also has all the system files - what we do is copy everything from the device to a 4GB (or larger) card.

Yes, you're quite right, TT should make it happen, plug and go, without all this input from the user (some of whom simply are so computer novice they have no idea how), but when it comes down to it, you're at the back of a very long queue of people saying exactly that. And you want your device to work NOW, not at some theoretical point in the future if/when TT get their act together.

Temperamental behaviour can possibly be caused by not disconnecting from your PC "properly". Click Device... Disconnect Device. Click OK when it says you can disconnect, but DON'T disconnect. WAIT until the device reboots and asks again if you wish to connect to computer, answer NO and wait until the device loads the map view, switch it off, THEN unplug it from the dock.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the speed rating of the memory card and where did it come from as there are plenty of so called "Sandisk" cards available from e-bay that are cheap copies that the device will reject due to the speed being too low - Mike
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
What is the speed rating of the memory card and where did it come from as there are plenty of so called "Sandisk" cards available from e-bay that are cheap copies that the device will reject due to the speed being too low - Mike

It's a good quality and definately genuiine Sandisk Ultra 2 from PC World.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format it using FAT 32 and don't check the "Quick Format" option then try loading the data to the card again, preferably do this via a card reader rather than with the SD card in the TomTom - Mike
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Format it using FAT 32 and don't check the "Quick Format" option then try loading the data to the card again, preferably do this via a card reader rather than with the SD card in the TomTom - Mike

Yep, already did all that Mike and in a card reader. The card reads and writes no problem in PC.

To be honest i despair at these 720's, or at least those i have had. Although i now have my 720 seemingly updated and working I have found another issue. When i connect to computer and press 'yes', it just shuts down and it doesn't come back up and connect to USB. I then can't get it to switch on again and have to mess around trying to reset it until it starts up.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good candidates for a Reset, a Clearflash and a Disconnect correctly??

MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, always do a proper disconnect. Might try the clearflash.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything here help??
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks guys, the usb connect thing seems to have worked the last couple of times after a clearflash so maybe that is fixed.

I do have one more question... i am about to do a reinstall on my PC to upgrade it to Win7. As I have Home installed which includes my downloaded map can i back it up, or do i just concern myself with backing up the device in Explorer?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to Win7 and didn't backup anything. Your question made my spine go all funny Exclamation Embarassed Embarassed

It all still works and since doing it I have had Latest Map guarantee on a "new" refurbished device and latest map upgrade on an older device.

EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis your reply amazes me. You of all people know that you should back up your TT devices before any significant change is made, why would you not backup the data on your PC before upgrading it to Windows 7?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using PCs since 1986 and I never backup stuff on them! Every now and again it gives me grief and I say I must do it regularly. This PC is only a few months old and when I got it, I used an external drive to simply copy across everything, then ready to passing the old one on, I thoroughly wiped and deep formatted it and reinstalled a different version of Windows. Then discovered I hadn't copied my photos directory. I bought a utility to recover from a formatted drive, but it only managed to recover about 5,000.
I have no excuse. Tell me I should have learned my lesson. Embarassed Stop it!

Funny thing is I have about 160GB of backups of various TomTom devices. Rolling Eyes

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I thoroughly wiped and deep formatted it and reinstalled a different version of Windows. Then discovered I hadn't copied my photos directory. I bought a utility to recover from a formatted drive, but it only managed to recover about 5,000.

Luckily for you, that just goes to show that deleting and reformatting does not get rid of the un-overwritten data. Sad A good file shredder or physical destruction of the disks will do the trick though Very Happy
PS Why don't you backup to your external drive Confused (Rhetorical question, begging abuse Shocked )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: