Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navigon free trial
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navigon free trial
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tell a thicko like me how to get the Navigon software to play? Sad

I downloaded the exe file from the try-before-you-buy page (NAVIGON_MN734_UK.exe), but the installer came up in German, not English, and then, after decompressing a shedload of files, shut down, and did nothing more - so, somewhere on my PC, I have, apparently, a shedload of files, doing nothing - now what? Help?! Confused
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancel my last - found where the files went... blame it on a long night shift.

It decompresses the installation files into the folder where you downloaded the exe to. It does not perform the installation, you have to do that from the decompressed files ("instaler.exe").
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger

You seem to be looking for similar software to me. I am trying to setup the Navigon trial without much success at present. I notice you are also trialing Co PIlot 7. What are your feelings? I understand 8 is due but I have also heard a) bad things about 7 and b) suggestion that 8 is not much more.
Any input on these or other PDA based products welcome. It may bore the list so a PM would enable us to compare experiences offlist.

Roy
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I'm not that impressed with CP7. While it was a dream to install the trial (automated installation, unlike MN) and the mapping is bang up-to-date, clear, easy to read and understand, the flip side is that its' handling of POIs and "safety cameras" (what we call Gatsos etc) is appalling. Also, the way it presents routes is - to say the least - problematic in places. See http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=487697#487697 for more on that.

And I'm still having no joy in installing MN - I don't have a card reader for this micro SD card, and the damn installation software doesn't have the ability to recognise my activesync'd Touch Pro 2. NOT a good start.

As time goes by, I'm finding new and inventive ways of cursing the board of directors of TomTom... Evil or Very Mad
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last comment. I know there is a new V7 but I think they lost me ages ago.

I am having problems installing Navigon, but I have had extensive use of McGuider/Sygic and , more recently, Navigator 9 from Directions.

McGuider is OK but there are some serious issues on roundabouts and also something strange on long journeys which I wont bore you with.

I have just been trying Navigator 9 and it is very flexible and comes with something called Mapexplorer which allows offline routing and analysis which I found outstanding. I tried the Truck version but so far I haven;t found that it lives up to expectations. However, I am still in my early days so I must give it a chance.

Shame to hear about CPL 7 because, in many ways it is the 'easy choice' and they promised me a 'Truck' version 'real soon now' about 18 months ago. This is important as I have a large-ish Motor Caravan. Let's be patient until V8.

Igo 8 looks and sounds good but because it has to sit on it's own 2GB SD card it makes it impractical for me and in any case I doubt if the MicroSD port would stand constant insertion and removal of the card.

So that's about 'em all I think.

Roy
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, iGo'd be a shoe-in if it weren't for that silly 2 gig limitation. For pities sake, why don't they move with the times? 2 gig cards are:

• Nothing
  • Cheap
  • Pants
  • Worse than nothing
  • A bad joke

(delete as applicable to your own case) Twisted Evil

I can follow them specifying a 2 gig card a couple of years back, actually, but in the last year, card capacity and types have increased almost phenomenally, making a 2 gig card a poor attempt at humour, in my not so humble opinion - heck, I bought a 16 gig card with my new HTC Touch Pro 2, as I KNOW that I'll be using all of that and then some over the lifetime of the phone...

Thought for the day: PPC/Smartphone software is going to get as bloated as PC software... who was it who made the law that goes something like "items increase in size to take up all available space"?
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Quick and dirty review Reply with quote

I am using the trial of Navigon 7 on my HTC HD2, a fast machine. Often the display lags behind where I am, and then catches up. No apparent logic to it.

The routing is a bit odd. A "scenic" route took me along the A1(M), exactly the same as the fastest and the optimum. It then tried to turn me round for 4 miles before suddenly taking me a more sensible route. Then it did a half circle around the sensible route, on more main roads (so not scenic), that added perhaps half a mile.

The speed limits are absolute dross from yesterday's 60 mile journey. The map claims to be Q4 2008 but the limits on the ground have been there much longer. It starts 30 limits early or late. It replaced 40 with 30 twice. It has a 60 in the middle of a 30 limit. It has a temporary 50 limit on the A1 that was only there 6 months. There were over a dozen major errors during my journey. The only omission I can accept was a new 20 limit (12 months old) in an estate.

POI search "Nearby" actually cuts out based on some radius or another. In TT or CPL I could search local and it would show POIs that were further and further away - great if you are not sure of the nearest (according to itself) town. Navigon 9 did NOT find South Moor Golf Course in South Moor (0.9 miles) but could find it in Stanley (1.6 miles away). Explain that! Yet in Stanley it found Beamish Golf Course (2.2 miles) BEFORE South Moor! The positive thing is that it knows where South Moor golf course is, and that it has an access road (as does TT but CPL fails).

I cannot find Slaley Hall golf course using its postal address of Hexham (it's 7.3 miles away), so how do i get there using Navigon? Actually I cannot, because it does not have Slaley Hall as a golf course, only as Lodging/ Others or as a restaurant. (It is a hotel as well as a championship golf course.) To find it I have to put the hamlet of Slaley in the City choice, and there are only two items, restaurant and lodging, both of which are De Vere Slaley Hall.

What is so difficult about getting data correct and accessible? Others can do it. These are deal breakers for me.

BUT I am left still not able to find a decent navigation program for my new mobile/pda. I do not want another piece of hardware.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: