Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MN7 SpeedCameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MN7 SpeedCameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeldarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: MN7 SpeedCameras Reply with quote

I am trialling Navigon MN7 on a HTC Touch HD (thanks to an XML tweak I found)

Does anyone know what to use in terms of Speed Camera updates, there does not seem to be an option on the Speed Camera database for Navigon.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: MN7 SpeedCameras Reply with quote

michaeldarling wrote:
Does anyone know what to use in terms of Speed Camera updates, there does not seem to be an option on the Speed Camera database for Navigon.

You normally need POIWarner installed to add support for Speed Camera POIs. IIRC that accepts .csv files?
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the poi file there .pom files
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Navigon Speedcams Reply with quote

Navigon market their own speed camera database for fixed cameras. Your subscription is valid for one year.

Unlike POI Warner the database only covers fixed cameras.

Also, in MN7 they have closed down the display links that POI Warner used to use. POI Warner no longer displays POI on the MN7 map which is a real p*sser. Not only that but you have to configure POI warner to use the GPS function itself.

This does mean however that you can have POI Warner active without MN7 running. Then, when you approach a speed cam you get a voice warning and a countdown marker. Spooky.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see if I understand this right - the MN7 screen does not show PGPSW speedcam locations, and POI warner is required to be used (how the hell does one do that in the trial version?!) to get any kind of notification anyhow?

Is that correct?

How bloody cack-handed is that?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You normally need POIWarner installed to add support for Speed Camera POIs. IIRC that accepts .csv files?

POI-Warner uses .asc format - use the 'Other - ASC' download option for the PGPSW cameras. You'd need to check the POI-Warner site for compatibilty with the hardware you're trialling.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waitaminute. POI-Warner is a third-party add on? It's not an official part of MN7?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right, the "POI-Warner" used for user-specified POIs is marketed by navigating.de

CONFUSINGLY though (if you happen to notice!) Navigon's own POIs are handled by an integrated Navigon application running on the satnav called ...er... "POIWarner"

The two Warners do not, AFAIK, have any connection with each other.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the clarification. Looks like the trial of MN7 just came to a great crashing halt. Inability to accept the PGPSW cam files off the shelf is a BIG deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned. Pity, as the rest of that package is the dogs' smelly bits, as far as I can see.

Oh well.

Looks like an email to Nav'n'go for a trial activation key is on the cards. Would happen over the blasted weekend, wouldn't it?

That's sods' Law, I suppose *sigh*
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW - if you are contacting Navigon you might feel like moaning to them about the lack of off-the-shelf support to user-specified POIs such as PGPSW. Lots of existing owners are complaining lengthily, bitterly and repeatedly (including me!), but it's all water off a duck's **** so far. We could do with more dissatisfied people Twisted Evil

I've even pointed out to their marketing people that they are losing customers over it, but they seem singularly unimpressed. Currently waiting for yet another brush-off from Navigon about it Sad
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Misspoke meself - not emailing nav'n'go, emailing NavMii Wink

BigPerk wrote:
G1LIW - if you are contacting Navigon you might feel like moaning to them about the lack of off-the-shelf support to user-specified POIs such as PGPSW. Lots of existing owners are complaining lengthily, bitterly and repeatedly (including me!), but it's all water off a duck's **** so far. We could do with more dissatisfied people Twisted Evil

I've even pointed out to their marketing people that they are losing customers over it, but they seem singularly unimpressed. Currently waiting for yet another brush-off from Navigon about it Sad

Laughing Out Loud - I'll drop 'em an email pointing out WHY they've lost a potential punter, just cause you asked ;) Ain't I good Supreme Angel (grinning ducking and running Wink)

UPDATE - done and done... as sent via the Navigon website contact page...

Quote:
The deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned is the packages inability to accept custom Points Of Interest files, such as Safety Cameras and the like.

Many folks (including me), do not want to be tied to any one POI provider, as the quality of such providers and listings have been known to lower over time.

Just thought you'd like to know why I'll not be purchasing a copy, in case you keep such details to pass onto your software developers for later updates to the package.

Sincerely,
Roger Stenning
http://rogersblant.blogspot.com/

Last edited by G1LIW on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! A completely independent Rolling Eyes complainer is definitely what's needed Thumbs Up
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Laughing Updated as above Wink
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent this to Navigon
"I have just got a new windows phone, and am looking to get away from TomTom. I am however a subscriber to PocketGPS World for their weekly updated safety cameras, and have built up a good collection of POIs using their excellent database, which I have spent time keeping up to date. If I am to buy a new system, it needs to be able to import both POIs and safety camera information. How can I do this with Navigon please?"
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: