Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 Very very slow - unresponsive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 Very very slow - unresponsive
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: 720 Very very slow - unresponsive Reply with quote

Folks really appreciate it if you could advise here - full explanation, sorry.

I bought a refurbished 720 a few months ago, immedialtly updated with the LMG to IQ routes and it worked pretty much ok until it just seemed to fail. The unit has just been replaced with a second refurb unit.

the replacement refurb came as a standard 720 running the 7.15 maps and old navcore. It seemed fine and working.

I then did a TT Home update - first just the application and it rendered the 720 useless. The touch screen registered the touches but just responded very occasionally to them and very slowly. Repeated touches to do anything and just occasional responses.

I put the Explorer backed up original software back on and it was back as it came - working fine.

I tried again updating with the apps, and with the apps and new LMG map, again very unresponsive.

I tried putting it all on a memory card, exactly the same.

I also tried copying all the apps and extras from my old updated 720 combined with the new downloaded maps and again unresponsive screen.

It seems this 720 will only work as it comes, as an old 720 and will not take any updates. I have also exhausted the one time only map update (different to the LMG).

Ok, firstly, any ideas? My last 720 updated to IQ routing no problem. This one seems to be working ok at finding satellites, connects to the computer eventually after responding to a 'yes' touch (pressed many times), the new maps load and display, so it is almost as if the problem is actually the touchscreen running under this new application software.

So, assuming it is 'broken', is it, and will I get a refund? It works fine as an out of the box 720, but cannot be updated.

Well frustrated!

** edit, should just add that have formatted the device several times and the memory card. When I restore the software to the device or the card the result is always consistently the same. Therefore I am guessing it is some hardware driver type issue - i have also redownloaded the application data.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MoPlain
You appear to have explored every avenue and tried all possible options. My 720 runs perfectly and I felt that you must have a fault on the actual device. However, the bit that baffles me is that your device runs ok with the old software.
Although I cannot answer your dilemma I will certainly watch your topic with interest to see the outcome. Good Luck.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I just put the original software back and it runs fine. It is definately something to do with the upgraded software taht didn't affect my original 720. Really miffed and puzzled.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MoPlain
Yes, the more I think about it the more puzzling it becomes. Sorry.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually one benefit of this is taht with the old application version the 720 will pair with my Blackberry bold 9000 and use it as a data modem. With the newer software on my previous 720 it would pair but not pass through data, something to do with a change in the bluetooth stack apparently.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks I notice there are a lot of visits to this thread, if you can't solve the problem any advice where to start to either get this replaced (agian) or does it qualify as not fit for purpose and attempt a refund.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MoPlain
I would try for a refund and think of buying a new device. Obviously your bank balance is the crucial factor on that issue.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I am on my own with this and nobody has a clue. interestingly even helpful people like mike Alder havent been able to give me a clue what this is all about! Smile

Sad thing is that as a standard 720 it performs perfectly except the Traffic receiver is a bit ropey on the original software. Doesn't seem much use though if it cannot be updated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real long shot but use Windows Explorer to open the drive letter associated with the device and go to the following folder path:
LoquendoTTS/ data/ voices/ kate and look at the contents, can you see files with the numbers "16000" in the file name? - if not what files are in this folder? - Mike
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, thanks for your response, at least I know if you don't have an answer nobody will. Seems so strange, works fine in it's original configuration but nott after any update of the o/s in full or in part.

Ok, funny you should mention 'Kate' as I have tried update with and without her.

Ok, the final configuration i backed up was an updated 720 and the path to Late was

LoquendoTTS\EnglishGb\Kate and all the files are 16000 and dated 2006. I did try an update with a new Kate (as I notice it is a specific option for download) but that didn't work either.

After I have done an update to the new OS the 720 does seem to be working but not properly. The satellites locate and find where they are, the screen locates to current position, the time updates. the problem seems to be the unresponsive screen so it is hard to achieve anything. I press the screen for an action, and it takes an age to respond and may or may not respond. If I connect to computer it knows it is there, the do you wnat to connect screen comes up, but maybe takes 10 presses to go into PC mode if I am lucky. One similar way to describe this is if your PC goes into one of those CPU aty 100% faults so i wondered if that could be happening? If I put the old software back on using explorer and it works fine again.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you put the new software on have you done a hard reset and then run a couple of clearflashes?

Amazing what these can fix.

Also, try going to 8.010 first and see if you have the same issue. If not, then try the upgrade from 8.010 to the latest build and see if it works.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will try that. I didn't realise different versions could be downloaded other than what Home offered. Will give it a try.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it will have to go back to TT. I installed the 'downgrade' as above and something tells me as an OS it is probably working. the do you want to connect to computer keypress responds instantly.

However, if trying to use the 720, it just fails on start up with 'no maps found'.

As i said earlier, I'm sure the hardware is ok, this seems to be some mix up or somthimng weird with the operating system. It started out coming as a 'new' working refurbished unit, and then just fails at the updates. Damned annoying. Having had a 720 before that failed I know it can run the 730 IQ routes etc. so this is frustrating.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have tried the "Clear Flash" software have you like Andy suggested? If not got to This page to download it, run it at least three times then try the device again, if that fails give TT a ring on 0845 161 0009 - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What map version do you have - IIRC you need at least 8.350 to use the very latest maps - 8.010 won't recognise a 8.35 map.

Try upgrading to the latest Navcore now it looks like we have eliminated a hardware issue.

Software issues are fixable (bugs permitting) with a bit of fiddling.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: