Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 940 Navcore 9
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

940 Navcore 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My green/orange light issue is corrected by reverting to 8.37.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
Availalbe from the TomTom website.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.022.go750-t.CAB-navcore-GO_LIVE.cab

That isn't the same Navcore 9 as the device was running in the you tube clip -Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Me Version
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
A quick word of caution before you install this, in the root of the download there is a file named "system" which is just under 1 MB in size, deselect this prior to extracting the files to the device or MicroSD card, if you don't do this your bootloader will get incremented which isn't possible to undo, the bootloader uplift isn't needed to get this working on a 940 - Mike

Excellent advice - the x50 bootloader has caused stability issues on other models.

Probably best not to be using Navcores from different devices if you don't know the ins and outs and which files are for what. It is easy to 'brick' a device with the wrong bootloader. There is no way back from this other than a repair at TT.

There are ways of going back to lower version number bootloaders by hacking them and giving them a version number .001 higher than the one you want to replace so that the TT sees them as an upgrade even though it is a downgrade. The downside to this is if you get wrong you have a 'brick' and if the next official bootloader for your device is still a lower version number you won't get the upgrade without more hacking.

Be warned .....
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No GPS signal strength meter? Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trafficman wrote:

Its not really needed IMHO but there is still the option to see whats going on with reception if you go to Change Preferences/ GPS Status - Mike
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Trafficman wrote:

Its not really needed IMHO but there is still the option to see whats going on with reception if you go to Change Preferences/ GPS Status - Mike

A step backwards in my opinion.
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I am keen to try out the Eco Routing on my 940.

So which version is best? The 750 or the BlueMe version? And thanks for the tip about removing the bootloader file.

So if I remove the bootloader file I just copy everything over the existing install (Except the Maps) and then to revert back to my 940 software I just copy the backed up files over to the unit?

Or is it not as simple as that?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way to do this is with WinRar which you can download and install for free for the trial period as this works very well.
Simply scoop up all the files and folders displayed in WinRar then press the "ctl" button on the keyboard while you click the "system" file to deselect it, then extract the files to the drive letter associated with the TomTom. If my Internet connection comes back on at home later I will send you some more detailed instructions as posting a detailed reply from my phone isn't really viable.
As for which version the Fiat software offers the most options - Mike
BarryUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The easy way to do this is with WinRar

Sorry Mike, but.... Windoze?

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download WinRar from Here and it is an application to run on Windoze - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of the Blue me version is that it offers options for various vehicles based on weights and size and speed. For most car users this is superfluous. For lorry drivers and caravan towers this offers an advantage. However this depends on the roads you use being rated for maximum weight, width and speed. I have reservations as to whether the map data is accurate to determine the route based on this information or just assumes minor roads are less suitable for lorries than motorways. I have tried a few local routes where two out of three railway bridges, only one is suitable for more the 7.5t and the TT routes selected do not know the difference.

Out of peak times the V9 software offerS more than the V8 on the 940, but it seems far worse to cope with the network or server failures on the Live Services (or "Liv services" as pronounced on the unit). I am suspicious that TT have employed a technique that old fax machines used to use where if a connection attempt failed there was a significant delay before it would retry to connect to avoid congesting the networks. At peak times. the Live Services are just not useable on the V9 software and only just useable with reboots on the V8.

I believe the software was written with the 940 in mind as it covers the FM transmissions that are absent on the 950.

The satellite signal strength meter is irrelevant, you need to know if you have satellite lock or not, if it is three or twelve in view does not matter and if you must know this, it is still available under options, page 8, GPS status (or page 9 on the blue me).
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have noticed is that with V9 if you do not follow the route. rather than is recalculating the whole route from where you are, it tries to get you back on to the original route. I assume that is a simpler and quicker calculation for the device. I have noticed this particularly on parallel roads (almost identical) through residential areas.

When the M25 was at a standstill (unbeknown to HD traffic) and I was going to South Mimms Services (off J23) from J22 along the B556 it kept telling me to do a U turn in half a mile.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
A quick word of caution before you install this, in the root of the download there is a file named "system" which is just under 1 MB in size, deselect this prior to extracting the files to the device or MicroSD card, if you don't do this your bootloader will get incremented which isn't possible to undo, the bootloader uplift isn't needed to get this working on a 940 - Mike

Mike, if I extract this cab file onto a memory card, excluding he system file, do I need to copy the system file from Nave core 8 onto the SD card to get the device to boot from there instead of from the device memory?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't want to have the system file on the card at all as this is what will clock the BL, just extract the files and folders to the memory card from the download and make sure the "system" file isn't on the card before you put it in the device.

You might find you have to copy some of the LoquesndoTTS voices to the card in order to get Text To Speech working when booting from the memory card, but that shouldn't present too large a problem for you.

To repeat the system file is only present to re-flash the bootloader, you don't need this file present to use the Navcore software from a memory card - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: