Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 12 advice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 12 advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard12
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Garmin 12 advice? Reply with quote

Hallo,
May I ask if anyone could be good enough to tell me if there is anywhere in UK that might repair elderly Garmins?.
I have had an old "Garmin 12" for some years and have used it intermittantly. No problems until today when even with fresh batteries it will just show the garmin page briefly and then goes to a blue screen until turned off.

Does this inevitably mean 'the end' of it, or might it be an known fault?. Any suggestions welcomed!!
Thanks, Richard Sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you've actually got an i2? I've had a quick look on the site and there seems to be nothing since 2007.

The only suggestion I can make is to do resets (hard/soft, whatever the manual describes) and see if that resurrects Lazarus.

If not, and no one else replies, then probably ... Burn In Hell
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No, I've been using GPSs long enough to remember there really was a Garmin 12 handheld (I still have an even older GPS45). It's probably dead (very likely the internal memory battery), but some of those models had a quick adjustment for "contrast" by pressing one the cursor keys. However, it was possible to accidently press a key and find the screen all-black or all-white without realising what had happened (or how to recover).

Also, it may be possible to reset the device by holding (or pressing a sequence of) one or more buttons when you switch it on. You may still find such information on the web, or if you get stuck I'll see what I can find.

I'm fairly sure the plastic case is totally sealed (welded) to make it waterproof. Garmin used to have a fixed price "repair" policy and supplied a new or refurbished device (at such a price that I suspect they just sent a new unit and didn't bother to repair). You could try contacting the Garmin European headquarters in Hampshire.

However (as long as you don't mind yellow) I suggest you get a new Etrex H for less than £70 from Amazon. It's hasn't got quite the same features (and you would have to spend another £10 on a suitable cable for PC use) but you will be stunned by the improvement in sensitivity. You can download all their manuals from the Garmin website so you can find out roughly what to expect from this, or any of their more expensive models.

Cheers,

Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ever consumer GPS was a Garmin 8 followed by a 12.

My suggestion would be to call Garmin UK, they may be able to help you. But if the cost exceeds that of replacement than an eTrex with more functions than the 12 can be had for around £80.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Replaced Garmin GPS12 with a GPS72 Reply with quote

My GPS12 still works fine at sea, but when I saw a GPS72 for sale I grabbed it for £40.......Brand new, with leads and a case.. Bargain..And have just finished updating it with latest software and all my sailing Way-points (transferred from the 12 without any problems).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: