Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another HD Traffic FAIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another HD Traffic FAIL
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Another HD Traffic FAIL Reply with quote

Travelling north on the A404 last night, our factory fit nav system forewarned of queueing traffic approaching the M40 whereas the 940 sat alongside reported no incidents on route.

Sure enough as we crossed the last roundabout on the A404 we came to a stop in traffic. Two lanes queueing northbound for two miles to Jct 4 of the M40.

So the free TMC on our nav got it right and TomTom's subscription HD Traffic knew nothing about it!
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising at the moment - it probably happened because your 940 failed to update the traffic info beyond what it first downloaded when you turned it on. HD traffic is useless at the moment. It's meant to be better and more frequent than TMC. When it doesn't update at all, you'll have to keep switching it off every 5 mins and then back on! I think they should focus a bit less on getting this Live Europe stuff working and concentrate on the domestic traffic problems here in the UK.

My 740 has stopped updating the traffic during a journey. Not much fun when I think I have to drive round the M25 next Friday evening for 10 junctions! I bet it's going to be hell, as it can't even re-route me if it doesn't know what the traffic situation is doing...
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

After sitting stationary at the top of the M6 toll on Thurs evening for an hour and a half and the TT showing no incidents I was a bit miffed. After 10 mins or so I rebooted the TT and guess what - instantly it reported an hours delay so it had not updated during the previous 3 hours driving.

Useless basically.

They need to sort this - it is OK TMC being a bit naff as it is a one off purchase for a bit of hardware and then it is betond TTs control but HD traffic is completely theirs and is getting worse. The number of server errors and Traffic info unavailable messages seems to be increasing week by week.

Looks like the back end system can't cope with the number of devices out there now.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Factory fitted system with RDS-TMC was reporting more accurate incidents and congestion around the M60/M61/M6 than my 540 was.

The factory system even routed me differently from the 540 and gave me a shorter journey time which worked out to be more accurate. Map data was first quarter of 2009.

I found my 540 WAS updating yesterday afternoon during the usual peak times, although on average between around 16:00-18:00 only every 30min instead of the advertised 5min (I think?). If I manually reset the device it would update instantly.

As Andy said, it sounds like there system is bottleknecking when there is an increased amount of data to process with it only updating every 30min in my case yesterday.

Could it be TomTom?
Could it be Voda?

Has anyone had any feedback from TomTom about this yet?
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Looks like the back end system can't cope with the number of devices out there now.

And here's me beginning to think maybe HD traffic isn't too bad after all! How do you work this out? PLEASE don't tell me they are signalling to my individual XL Live - if that's the case I might as well not subscribe (not that I'm so gullible as to subscribe in order to get HD Traffic, I'll subscribe for Google). In my ignorance, I simply thought they squirted the stuff out into the wide blue whatever and my XL plucked it out of the air - just like FM broadcasts of RDS-TMC. You are making me begin to think that it's my XL which polls TT servers on a regular basis to get updates. Omigod, omigod, omigod!!!!

The only failures I've had, have been when it mattered - traffic in London rush hour - so that's alright then (not). Google not connecting at lunch time when I needed a chip shop - so that's alright then (not). Evil or Very Mad So the thing I now have to do is regularly reboot to make sure I get up to date traffic? Not sit and have the great convenience of it updating automatically at frequent intervals? Ouch!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resorted to the tried and tested method of getting traffic updates on Friday morning when a cow went walkabouts on the M6 at J17 - Radio 5 Live! It was telling me that the M6 was now flowing whereas the TT didn't update for at least another half hour - it was trying to route me off at J19 to rejoin at J18 to avoid part of the holdup.

The Live in Radio 5 is much more accurate at the moment than the LIVE in TT!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me old fashioned then - I run Radio Five Live, XL Live HD Traffic and GO920 RDS-TMC Traffic. I tend to take heed of whichever frightens me most!! Laughing

Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problems with HD Traffic not refreshing. I've only noticed it in the last week or so though. It always used to be fine but seems to be getting worse more recently. I hope TomTom sort it soon as I've been a loyal customer since the original GO, but I'm now looking at other options e.g Navman!
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic didn't work between 8-15-9am this morning, little yellow triangle!

Just tried it now and it still has the triangle!! Anyone else having problems today?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was the same this morning. It has come back to life now - don't know how long it's been alive again, because I haven't used it.

Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problems today also. All the other Live services are working except traffic. Has been off since first thing this morning and is still off for me now (12:15) . I'm in the Lothian, Fife and Southern Tayside area. Have reset the device a couple of times with no luck. Left with the little yellow Triangle. These conectivity issues and the refresh issues are becoming a bit of a joke thesedays.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic has just come back on (12:30pm). Seems to be refreshing too at the moment!
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 10:30 and 12:30 in the Heathrow area no Traffic or Google, even after rebooting. I could change fuel type and get new prices, but I'm not convinced fuel is truly live! last night approx 2300 no Live connection for about an hour heading west down the M4, but OK after that.

What particually annoys me is that it is not possible to revert to RDS_TMC whenever Live isn't working, I'm sure that should be technically possible
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not working for me this morning when the A414 was closed between London Colney and the A1 and this evening was working but it took some time to show the M25 closed anticlockwise after J22. Fortunately I came off at J22 to go the the retail park Sainsburys just as it happened, so I missed that jam. (The Highways Agency did not disable the CCTV cameras for that one so you could see the incident live on my mobile).

I notice that today the "traffic map" screen it is now showing accidents as grey bits of road with the car on its side icon and the holdups before them as red chevrons. On the planner it is the same with "grey roads" indicating "unknown delays".

The unreliability is really putting me off TomTom as the HD Traffic function is the main reason I use it, I know all the routes by heart, I just need to know which are open or have delays.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho, ho, fingers crossed then - I'm leaving at 5am tomorrow to go to Bootle via Birmingham and to arrive before 9am. Should be a nightmare!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: