Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom to CoPilot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom to CoPilot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wireplay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: TomTom to CoPilot Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been a TomTom user for about 5 years now and still have a reliable 710 with Traffic which is essential to me.

I have however just bought an HTC Hero phone and am looking at CoPilot. Does anyone who has a hardware TomTom unit have any experience of the change over?

I am also a PGPSW Speed Camera subscriber and I LOVE the fact that on my TomTom, I can set up different distances to warn me on different camera types and also assign a different OGG Vorbis sound to each one of them. Is this possible on CoPilot?

When I looked at the Speed Camera download for CoPilot, it looked like a consolidated download rather than Speed Zoned complete like I am used to. e.g. cameras and speed zones completely split up so I know exactly what I approaching.

Also, what is the traffic like on the CoPilot? I can't seem to find online WHERE it gets its data from - is it better than TomTom traffic and like TomTom HD traffic monitoring actual traffic speed etc?

Finally, what are people's thoughts on it who have used it?

Thanks!
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom to CoPilot Reply with quote

wireplay wrote:
I have however just bought an HTC Hero phone and am looking at CoPilot. Does anyone who has a hardware TomTom unit have any experience of the change over?

Almost, I've switched from TomTom Navigator 7 to CoPilot 8 Live on an HTC Hero.

wireplay wrote:
I am also a PGPSW Speed Camera subscriber and I LOVE the fact that on my TomTom, I can set up different distances to warn me on different camera types and also assign a different OGG Vorbis sound to each one of them. Is this possible on CoPilot?

No and No. "Safety Camera" settings which the PGPSW are handled as, have a single distance setting. It's not possible to have custom voice alerts AFAIK.

wireplay wrote:
When I looked at the Speed Camera download for CoPilot, it looked like a consolidated download rather than Speed Zoned complete like I am used to. e.g. cameras and speed zones completely split up so I know exactly what I approaching.

"Consolidated by type" is the only real workable solution I afraid. The custom icons work fine, so a quick glance at the speed confirms the camera type. One nice feature is that when a camera is being approached, the speed setting is displayed in a box, which is green if you are travelling within the speed limt (if you are above the limit then it the box is red). Another bonus is that the camera operational direction (if the data is present for that camera) is used, so you dont get warnings for cameras that can't "ping" you.

wireplay wrote:
Also, what is the traffic like on the CoPilot? I can't seem to find online WHERE it gets its data from - is it better than TomTom traffic and like TomTom HD traffic monitoring actual traffic speed etc?

Traffic isn't yet available to purchase, although I did briefly have a version with it enabled. What I saw looked good and similar to what I had on TomTom.

wireplay wrote:
Finally, what are people's thoughts on it who have used it?

I like it. I had a problem with loss of GPS signal from time to time, but since updating the phone's ROMs and switching to a faster MicroSD card, I haven't had many issues.
wireplay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: no traffic! Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info. It's a real shame that speed camera's can't be set to different distances. I find it brilliant on the TomTom that you can set only a 300 yard warning for a 30mph camera but 1 mile for example on the motorway where they are likely to be using lasers!

But, as traffic is currently unavailable, I think I will just stick to my TomTom for now. I will wait and see how the market develops, hopefully TomTom will bring out a better version than they have for the iPhone!

I just wish I could use my Android modem as the DUN for TomTom - I don't suppose anyone has found a work around for this?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: