Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A physical update service for Tom-Tom software etc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A physical update service for Tom-Tom software etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: A physical update service for Tom-Tom software etc Reply with quote

I love the tom-tom --great bit of kit -- gets me from A to B and talks to me on the way..

BUT and it is a big but--
That is all I want to do.. is use it..

The updating and re-configuring and downloading
-- quite frankly is for me very difficult
-- perhaps it is that I was born before the war and all we had then was Morse code!!! Laughing

I was wondering if there was a call for a dedicated service to offer people like me
-- of servicing and updating the software on the tom-toms
-- I would be more than willing to pay
-- just so that I don't have the UTTER confusion that I have now of just trying to get the thing to work..

I simply don't want to know -- a great - smashing bit of kit -- but for me that is the biggest down side..

Any one out there who offered such a service wold get MY custom..
-- and I dare say others too
-- like me -- who are not so computer literate..
-- no matter how simple !! Very Happy

Maurice
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can use a PC and join forums like this so it's not rocket science even to an oldie like yourself.

Download/instal and run TomTom Home on your PC, connect your unit to the PC with the USB cable, press the "update my TomTom" button & it does it all for you. Honestly, don't pay someone else to do this pretty simple exercise for you.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of us have offered advice over the phone from time to time, although its always for free other than the cost of the call - updating a TomTom can seem daunting to some, others can do it with their eyes shut (so to speak) - What device do you have and what software version is currently installed as well as which map is installed.
To establish whats installed to your device switch the device on and tap the sat strength meter (lower right corner) then tap the version box, the resultant screen contains all the information needed to answer the above (Don't post the device code on the forum as nobody really needs to see that) - Mike
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copied all this from the green screen
Device -- you said not required
Ap 8.203 (9717/081021/OS:232962)
64 MB Ram (free 10.2 MB)
Gps v 1.20 Boot 5.5120
map "Western_and _central_Europe_2GB v810.1943
language English UK

Hope that is OK and enough to find if I have the best map available with the application that I have
My device as stated is a 740 Live and [fingers crossed] it is working well at the moment..
maurice
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice,

I think you have missed one thing.

You don't have to do all the updating, reconfiguring etc that you mention.

As it stands today you have a fully functioning GPS that gets you from A to B as efficiently as it can. If it doesn't break all malfunction it should still be doing the same in 5 years from now, without any changes.

All that will happen is your map will get older and will become less and less correct as roads evolve and change.

My point is you don't have to change anything and it will still function correctly.
You could compare it to a TV you bought 3 years ago, you wouldn't have to keep updating it for it to work all those years. Maybe now it would be dated as the digital revolution has forced change, but other than that you would still get a decent picture and be able to watch on it.

The good thing about Tom tom ( and sometimes bad) is that they keep trying to update it and keep it modern and with the latest features as they become available. They also update the maps so that you have the best map available for your device.
Like i said though, there is nothing forcing you to do these updates if you are happy with what you have now.

I dare say there is a huge % of GPS owners that never connect to the internet for updates or even know how to do it!
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre - if you can get to me (West London), or be prepared to send the unit to me, I'm sure we could come to some arrangement.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never fear about morse code code tomtom are still using smoke signals for communications ,we've tried to get them to update but they can't read our signals Laughing Laughing
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre you have 244 post on a technical forum. Not sure how you are struggling to updated with that many post?

Start by installing TT Home, then plug device to computer using the USB cable. Then TT will do the rest, telling you to connect to computer.

Once connected go to the update screen, click search and see what TT has for you to update and take it from there.

Refer here for extra help.

TomTom Support Link

link amended by MaFt cos it was waaaaaaaaaay too long!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: