Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems getting SD map card 'seen' by Active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems getting SD map card 'seen' by Active 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Problems getting SD map card 'seen' by Active 10 Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I bought an Active 10 about one month ago which I have been using for off-road mountain biking. It has been an impressive device especially when I am somewhere unfamiliar. I have been creating and editing lots of new routes and had no problems using the software. I consider it a great purchase.

However recently a problem has started that will not go away; when I switch on the Active 10 the SD map card (fwiw 1:50K SE England) is not being seen, ie I get the base map only. If I remove and re-insert the SD card a few times it then gets seen - ie the message 'SD card inserted' then appears, and away I go, but this is not only a pain but probably not healthy in the long term.

I am using the latest software/firmware and have tried removing all routes and POIs (after backing up via SatSync) but that does not work.

Satmap will closed over the weekend so I would like to ask if anyone here has come across this before or know the problem ?

Thanks

Steven
RaBalder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best bet is some contact problems.

On my SD-card the paper-label had come loose and had crept up in a corner of the card. Looked like a mess and prevented the card from getting good contact.

I had to remove the label to get it working again.

Else make sure the contacts of the card is kept clean if you change between several cards.

You could try to clean them.....
Wink
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabalder thank you for the response. The first thing I did was to check the SD card - it looks perfect and the contacts are all clean, so I suspect it is either an internal connection issue or a strange boot-up glitch, probably the former if it is only myself. I will call satmap on Monday.

Steven
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your card could be corrupted. If you have another map card you could check if that works in you Active 10 (your local retailer or a mate might be able to help there).

Another way to tell would be to copy some routes and POIs onto a new card and see if the device can read them. If it can it's almost certainly the card that's faulty.

Assuming it is the card and not the device, do you have a backup copy of the map? If so re-format the card and copy the files back on to itard.

If not you could try the windows tools to mend the card. - Put the card in a card reader (or camera if you don't have a card reader), in my computer right click the card, select properties, tools, error checking (Vista may be slightly different). I suggest you run it non-repair mode first.

Failing that it means sending either the card or the Active 10 back to Satmap. It would be useful for you to know which.
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:

Another way to tell would be to copy some routes and POIs onto a new card and see if the device can read them. If it can it's almost certainly the card that's faulty.

- once the sd card is seen by the Active 10 all problems disappear.

If not you could try the windows tools to mend the card. - Put the card in a card reader (or camera if you don't have a card reader), in my computer right click the card, select properties, tools, error checking (Vista may be slightly different). I suggest you run it non-repair mode first.

- yeah, I tried that and got no errors.

Failing that it means sending either the card or the Active 10 back to Satmap. It would be useful for you to know which.

Thanks for the input.

Steven
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something of a coincidence as I had a similar problem with a recently purchased card, but the card could not be read at all by the Satmap after a months use. The funny thing in my case was that Satsync could still see the card even though Satmap said it wasn't there.
I contacted Satmap and they exchanged the card.
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
Something of a coincidence as I had a similar problem with a recently purchased card, but the card could not be read at all by the Satmap after a months use. The funny thing in my case was that Satsync could still see the card even though Satmap said it wasn't there.
I contacted Satmap and they exchanged the card.

Great feedback, thank you. A couple of times (not always) Satsync has seen the card when the Active 10 has not so it does imply it is the card.

I will of course update the thread when the problem is solved.

Steven
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi; I have just received a replacement card from Satmap and everything now works fine.

Steven
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if this is relevant, but in case someone else gets the same problem; I notice the new map card is 4GB whereas the troublesome one was only 1GB. Maybe the old card got too full and that caused the problem.

Steven
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have just returned from a six day walk along the Dales Way. I purchased a custom map 1:25 of this walk from Satmap. The mapping worked fine for the first three days, then on trying to upload the fourth leg I was confronted with no card detected so was very interested in reading the previous entries. Fortunately I had a 1:50 Central England card that went in with no problems and got me out of the mire. Problem is that a replacement card is of little use to me now the walk has been completed. Will be contacting Satmap tomorrow and will post result.
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my Active 10 back from Satmap after some three weeks. The problem according to them was not a faulty custom SD card, but a faulty motherboard. This has been replaced along with new seals and all seems fine now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: