Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How waterproof is the A10?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How waterproof is the A10?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
Hi

Can you please get back to Satmap and tell them your concerns about the watertighness of the unit. I have had a few emails back and forth with them over another matter which I will post seperatly where they have stated that unless they get direct comments or complaints to them then they will not log it and deal with it. If you have a complaint, by all means inform the forum but also let them know.
John
Point taken. I am presently compiling a wish/observations list which I intend to take to the October Cycle show and present to Richard Calthrop-Owen in person. I had such a conversation with him at this Show last year but I wasn't prepared and half the stuff I would have said I didn't remember until later! What is your other matter of complaint?

I think we have to be realistic however. The costs of altering the hardware - case design, etc. - must surely be way higher than (relatively) simple firmware changes. Satmap are still a "young" company, probably still going through the delicate phase of satisfying their initial investors/lenders and so are focussing on drawing in as much customer cash as possible; hence the focus on expanding the product line with the "Plus" model, new maps, etc. Personally, I think the case design was flawed from the start, having three separate places where water can get in, but my experience is almost wholly from a cyclist's point of view and I have no doubt that use for cycling is far more demanding on the A10 than use for walking.
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it can't be beyond the realms of possibilities for SatMap to design a waterproof case that fits snugly over the active 10, that can be used by both walkers and cyclist! This would put to sleep the question of is it, or isn't it fully waterproof, and would not take in the exorbitant cost of a redesign
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Friday I walked again in the wind and streaming rain on a featureless peat bog. The cloud was down and no indication as to which way to go. But the A10 worked flawlessly, keeping out the rain and directing me safely off the mountain. Thanks again Satmap.

Yes I do get water under the outer screen and if I did not regularly check the USB and SD card slot covers I might well get water into the device. Surely nothing that has openings can be completely watertight.

The A10 may not be perfect but I continue to be impressed at its mix of functionality and robustness (if there is such a word!).
Satsync 1.525
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my Active 10 back from Satmap after some three weeks. After complete power loss I was concerned it was water related as I had done a 7 day LDW in some very inclement weather. I was assured over the phone that it was not due to water problems but required a new motherboard and seals. Somewhat concerned it was one of three awaiting new motherboards, but all seems ok now. Complements should go to Satmap for pulling out all the stops to get my Active 10 back to me in time for the Bank Holiday
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terry8 wrote:
Surely it can't be beyond the realms of possibilities for SatMap to design a waterproof case that fits snugly over the active 10, that can be used by both walkers and cyclist! This would put to sleep the question of is it, or isn't it fully waterproof, and would not take in the exorbitant cost of a redesign

In another thread I posted this:-

Bosun wrote:
Just been browsing another forum ( canoeing ) and someone was asking about the waterproofness of the Active10,this was the reply from Satmap:-

Hello,
Thanks you for your email, yes our unit is weather proof, so this can be used out in the rain /snow and can be recovered if dropped in a puddle or wet mud.
I would not recommended fully submerging the Active 10 – however we have developed a rubber case that completely surrounds the Active 10 making it fully submergible and more robust that ever.
This has not made it into production as of yet but expect an email newsletter about this in a few months letting you know where you can get your hands on one.
Kind Regards
Mark

I have not heard of this previously.

The posting was dated in February this year so should be out shortly.

Ian

So something is in the pipline.

Ian
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian I wait with great anticipation
bob1988
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to Satmap regarding this issue, as my Active 10 stopped working but would work again once dried out. They informed me to check the rubber seals before I set out on a ride, and that I haven't had the problem since (about 3 uses in heavy rain). They also advices that the device is tested (I'm assuming independently) to IP 65 standard. I had to look this up on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
Quote:
No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact

Quote:
Water projected by a nozzle against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Hope this helps someone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: