Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 740 keeps getting lost
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 740 keeps getting lost
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed if you delete the files 2 come back but qGPS seems to need a 3rd file.

Also no coincidence with traffic as the unit will still function. Screens etc work OK, just loss of signal...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the problems continued into last week. QuickGPSFix or no QuickGPSFix. I couldn't even go 3 roads before it got lost again...

Suddenly on Friday it started to behave. All day Friday, Saturday and today it's been fine. QuickGPSFix is installed and up to date but removing it made no difference.

Here's hoping it continues....
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same problem with my 540 Live with anything newer than Navcore 8.31

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
stevebuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I have a new 740, that I've been using for the last 6 weeks. I have exactly the same issue. The device thinks I'm in fields from time to time and after working perfectly for an hour or so will lose fix, get it back, lose again and then probably not get the fix for the rest of the journey.. I also deleted the files recommended by TT support and even sent the unit back. They just returned it and told me it was fine!

I'm very disappointed with the unit. I have an old Garmin I had hoped to to replace, but now need to keep it in the car for when the TT plays up. Am I correct that people have had success with back dating the firmware? If so, how can I try this?

Many thanks
Steve
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem has come back again today. 3.5 mile journey, no route set but 1.5 miles in and it's anywhere but where i am with no signal showing...

Then on the way back i reset the unit, sat on my clients drive for 5 minutes and nothing. Drove off and 30 seconds from home it suddenly knew where it was......

Contacting TT today....

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also deleted the files recommended by TT support

What file were those?
stevebuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

"delete any folders called ‘Ephemeris’ and any folders called ‘GL’ if they exist. Delete all of the loose files, but not the remaining folders". You then need to go into home and choose to remove GPS Quick fix from the computer. Next update with home, only updating the application. repeat until no longer offered. Finally update quickgps fix.

I've done this numerous times, it works for awhile then it loses fix on a journey and / or reports I'm in a field. It can then stay lost for an hor or so and then its back fine for a while.

Very disappointed as TomTom insist its fine and send the unit back as in working order...

Let me know what they say when you call.

Regards,
Steve.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically i got the same response as you. Delete loose files and re-install the NavCore. I didn't respond as i was waiting to see what happened after i did it and after this weekends run up the M1.

Everything was fine for the last couple of weeks and yesterday on a London - Sunderland run it kept occasionally loosing signal. On the way back today it was dire. Several reboots / resets and it eventually stayed locked for the last 100 miles or so. Shame as I'd purposely done a reset before leaving. I think the 3rd or 4th "worked" in the end...

Got plenty of work this next 2 weeks followed by the London - Sunderland - London run so I'm going to delete the Ephem folder and see how it goes. Not that it made any difference before....
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 740 has decided to do te same thing now - plus every so often it resets itself (The screen blanks out and I then get the drums and the booting up screen (the one wity the progress bar) and then the "legal" stuff.

What have TomTom said to you.

I hope we're not getting problems like the old stutter!

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you on car charger or battery when this rebooting happened?
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PaulB2005
It must be your device. Hell I’ve had my 720 since the device was launched and it has never once suffered from the symptoms that you describe. It gets its fix within seconds and it has never, ever lost it on my journeys. I know my device is a 720 and yours is a 940 but you shouldn’t be plagued by problems like that.

For heavens sake, if you were an aircraft pilot or a ship's captain with a device like that you would have crashed long ago.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've deleted the ephem folder and it's rebuilt it but I'm not using QuickGPSFix in any way now. I've got another 10 days before i do the London-Sunderland-London run again. So far it's very quick to get a lock even if i move several miles between use it take less than 3 seconds to get a good lock. I'll see what happens. However several people have returned their x40 to TT with the same problem only for them to be returned as fine and still have the same problem!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the x40 range automatically updated the Quick Fix over the inbuilt GPRS.

Whenever I select Quick GPS Fix in Live Services it says its is up to date, even when I have not been connected to Home for some time such as when on holiday.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does both. If it's updating over GPRS then that's all it's doing. I'm just not updating in Home. If anything GPS Lock is quicker not using QuickGPSFix.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something odd about the TT GPS side of things in that recently I can sit there after updating my 530 & 940 at my desk with both units side by side and one cannot find any satelllites and the other is seeing around six. If it was always the same unit that found them I could understand and assume it had the better GPS hardware, but it can be either one that finds a signal and the other one cannot.

Thinking about it on the latest update there was something about TomTom improving the time to get a fix, maybe a new bug was introduced then?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: