Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot for iPhone hits the UK Appstore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot for iPhone hits the UK Appstore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And one last thing before I head off for Dinner, check out the compass, a proper, normal, as you;d expect it compass. TomTom are you taking note ;)

Good - I missed that option in Sygic - but it did have a pointer showing the direction to your destination which was handy.

Just trying a demo route and now do see a speed limit on a road - it was just the mapping for some roads is missing the speed limits I guess.
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both igo and copilot. The problem I'm seeing is that sometimes neither app will get past their splash banner when starting. As if they were locked waiting for some resource to become free.

Seems to co-incide often with the app being re-started in the landscape mode, but don't have hard and fast data on that yet. Still experimenting.

-- gyre --
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you powered off the iPhone and then on again? - in case it is a lack of free memory problem?
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it supposed to forget the destination when you exit the application? Evil or Very Mad
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that usually works. Bit of a pain to do that while driving tho Smile

-- gyre --
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app store description on copilot says smarter call handling will be fixed in a future update.

It's a minor problem tho... cos you just select the top item from the history on the mini-menu you get when it restarts.

-- gyre --
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I saw that note about smarter call handling, but didn't think that just exiting the application would cause it to forget the destination I had set.

I normally set up my destination in advance and then use my iPhone for other things and then expect to start up the Navigation app and it to be all set to go.

If you had put in a whole itinerary would you have to do that all over again?

I presume it is a bug and not a limitation, because Sygic remembers the destination.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyre wrote:
I've got both igo and copilot. The problem I'm seeing is that sometimes neither app will get past their splash banner when starting. As if they were locked waiting for some resource to become free.

Seems to co-incide often with the app being re-started in the landscape mode, but don't have hard and fast data on that yet. Still experimenting.

-- gyre --

Can confirm same problem here on 3GS in landscape mode.
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Safety Cameras for CoPilot Live 7/8 Reply with quote

zebsogo wrote:
I purchased Copilot for iphone today and im liking it alot Just tested it in london went on a 2 mile trip to B&Q.before i left the house i wondered if i could install speed maps onto the iphone via SSH. So i went to ALK Technologies website and it states

"ALK Technologies provides CoPilot 7 customers with access to free monthly Safety Camera Updates covering major European Countries. Unlike other Satellite Navigation providers, ALK Technologies does not charge for this service, it is complete FREE for existing CoPilot customers."

So i downloaded the file "safetycam.ezp" and followed the instructions ( Not specific to iphone ) it informs you as to where to put the file. so i navigated to the Copilot app via SSH on my Mac using an ftp application and put the safetycam.ezp" file in the appropriate folder. I then launched Copilot on my iphone and immediately a screen appeared saying "Copilot is implementing upgrades please wait" after about 1 minute copilot continued to the main screen, I checked preferences and this time had the option to enable Safety Alerts. I now have the latest speedcams on my iphone and they work ... Very chuffed[/code]

Hi

I have downloaded the speedcam file.
Which folder did you put it in.
I followed the instructions and it does not seem to work for me

ern

PS OK found another save folder under documents/EU/
all working now
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And one last thing before I head off for Dinner, check out the compass, a proper, normal, as you;d expect it compass. TomTom are you taking note ;)

Very Happy

doe sit use the 3GS digital compass for if you are sat stationary or is it just using the 'normal' method of showing a direction only when you are driving?

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doe sit? Been on the beer ;) It is AFAICS just a normal compass that operates when moving, it does not require a 3GS
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 3GS rely on the mobile network to bolster its position. If I buy the euro mapping but then turn data roaming off when in Europe will it still function as well without help from the local network?

thanks

rich
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sure if it's a feature or a bug, but driving home tonight, the backlight on the iphone kept going into half-bright mode at odd intervals while running copilot. Touching the screen brought it back full-bright.

It also came back full-bright of its own accord, but at seemingly random locations Smile

-- gyre --
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyre wrote:
No sure if it's a feature or a bug, but driving home tonight, the backlight on the iphone kept going into half-bright mode at odd intervals while running copilot. Touching the screen brought it back full-bright.

It also came back full-bright of its own accord, but at seemingly random locations Smile

-- gyre --

Yes same has happend to me on my "test drive" on local roads
I have the unit plugged in via a 30 pin ipod dock which is integrated to the car
Only used it at night so far so hope during the day it does not have the same issue
BTW I have never owned a sat nav with so many options !
It runs very well and slick. So far impressed
We will see what day use brings
I have a 12 mile trip to the dump which using the built in cost per mile/km calculator will cost me £1.18 each way

ern
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't speak for the other nav options recently introduced, but as a Nav6 user, I've been really impressed.

Some obs, following a return trip from Hampshire to Central London and reading recent posts:

• initially, sat acquisition was as poor as my initial experience with Roadee; uh-oh I thought, but after about 20 miles, it overcame its issues & was as good as gold. On the return journey, it was perfect from the get-go.

• Given the limitations of the hardware, I was impressed with spoken command volume. The clarity wasn't great at high volume (h/ware again), but even a couple of notches down to address this gave me enough volume to listen to the radio at a reasonable level and still hear instructions.

• loss of routing if app quit: you can access your recent destinations from My Places/Recent. Don't know if this works for a multipoint itinerary.

• set to auto, the app switched from day to night at 21:27; I have sunset listed for my location as 20:43, and the change came too late for me. Not sure what the trigger is?

• Please please please, I thought TomTom's data entry was bad enough; betraying it's origins by not using default iPhone qwerty is a crime.

• POI - note you jailbreakers have got this sussed; hopefully the full implementation will provide a web server capability to avoid the jailbreak?

• the only dissappoontment to me - and really it's a biggie if I'm right, is the routing decisions didn't appear very logical. A couple of times I ignored 'daft' instructions on a familiar journey. It was quick to get the message and re-calculate to a route I thought more logical, but I hope it proves to be trustworthy - anyone else have a view?

• what's copilots traffic like on other platforms?

• Otherwise, as a first shot on a new platform, I'm really impressed. Subject to a couple more trials, I think my trusty Palm & Nav 6 have had it! TomTom are going to need to tick EVERY box to get a share of my wallet.

• Finally, what a great price point! Allowed me to take a gamble which on balance I feel has paid off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: