Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 740 keeps getting lost
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 740 keeps getting lost
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: TomTom 740 keeps getting lost Reply with quote

This has happened a few times recently now.

Last weekend driving up the A1 my TT 740 suddenly goes grey and reports it lost signal xx seconds / minutes ago. This goes on for a few minutes until i can reset the device. Another 5 minutes up the A1 it happens again. And again. And again. The final time it happens i give up and it doesn't get signal back until I'm pulling up at my destination.

Last week the same happened again driving through town and started to show me about a mile from my actual location.

Again yesterday it was all over the place... A few roads over, random local locations and then somewhere i didn't recognise.

Today same again. Parked up waiting and it was jumping about. This afternoon on a journey and with 3 minutes to go more random jumping about.

Each time I've started the journey with a good lock before moving off. In the first instance (A1) i was using QuickGPSFix with NavCore 8.351. On the return journey the unit behaved just fine.

In the other instances i had NavCore 8.370 loaded and deleted the contents of the ephem folder. However it's generated some new files but only 2 instead of the normal 3.

The problem never seems to occur at the beginning of the journey but someway through.

Oh, and resetting the device seems to make no difference once it starts doing it..

Anyone else?
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: TomTom 740 keeps getting lost Reply with quote

Not exactly the same; but I have occasionally found my 740 telling me I've left the road and am now crossing a field. It happened in Kent in both directions on the same bit of road and in Cumbria; neither road was new or recently changed, as far as I know. It doesn't matter if it's a road you know or there are no impending junctions, but I dread it happening in a big city that I don't know.

John
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you changed your car recently to one with an athermic windscreen or relocated it? If not then I would say it's broken and possibly a hardware fault. There are plenty of known issues at the moment but good GPS fix isn't you one you see much anymore as they all seem to get (and keep) sats very well.

I do A1 and M1 several times a month and my 720 never loses a signal (except in tunnels or under long bridges coming out of London which any GPS would).
Holux GPSslim
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you changed your car recently to one with an athermic windscreen or relocated it?

No. Same car and same Brodit mount i used before. Something similar has happened before but not as bad as this and i put it down to a bad QuickGPSFix update. However as i said above the unit played up one way and was fine the other. I've done the same London - Sunderland - London run several times with the unit and this is the first time it's been a problem...

Quote:
If not then I would say it's broken and possibly a hardware fault.

Confused Mad Crying or Very sad

Going to try QuickGPSFix again to see what happens....
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I might be being a little hasty in saying it is hardware but if nothing has changed and its been reliable for ages it would lean that way. However, a clean re-install would prove me wrong and will be quicker than sending it away. Details of how to do this are on this forum.

Have you added any 3rd party applications? Software can do this but I've only ever had it on PDAs with telephone functionality back when I ran Navigator 6. Orange used to bundle stuff into their ROM which made the GPS drop in and out in exactly the way you describe but I've never had it/seen it on a Tom Tom supplied device.

However there are those on here who will no doubt leave me red faced. Those sad sad emoticons have got me all upset!
Holux GPSslim
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone... Embarassed

I have no 3rd party apps so i'll see what happens this week.... Thanks again...
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
Holux GPSslim
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to me now and again. But usually corrects itself after a few minutes!

iPhone 12
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It happens on my new XL IQ Routes as well.
Looses signal or shows you in middle of fields. The old XL worked OK on the same routes.

Mike
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK chaps, looks like my advice might be based on lack of experience of newer units so maybe I'll duck out for a while and see if someone has better informed help.

Never get this on my 720. I have a list of things that drive me bananas but this isn't one o them! :-)

Jimbo
Holux GPSslim
stevea100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth,,, when this occured on my one XL the fix was to delete the contents of the ephem folder. The unit worked better than ever and I now never use quick fix updates!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 930 also used to lose satellite a lot with the latest firmware.

I solved the problem by loading an older last known good firmware, which also improves the route planning speed.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same on my 520 on a very overcast wet day in town. I also have an athermic windscreen but this is normally absolutely fine.

I hadn't had the chance to update quickfix, when I did its been OK ever since.

If you have climate control you normally have an athermic windscreen a well. This was hopeless with my old Navman 635 but no trouble at all with my 520.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No anthermic windscreen and the unit has been fine for 4 months until the last week. The car and position of the unit has not changed since it was bought.

Anyway today it got lost on 2 journeys with the ephem folder deleted and also got lost on 2 journeys with qGPS installed....

There has been another qGPS update tonight so i'll see what happens next and then it on to TomTom....
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see there seems to be little point in deleting the GPS quick fix from the x40 range as they automatically update themselves over live services.

I have noticed recently that when a traffic download occurs with a very large number of incidents it can virtually stop the unit as it processes them, have you noticed that this loss of GPS occurs just before a number of incidents is displayed on the screen?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: