Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom £114 including the mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom £114 including the mount
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that explains the odd routing on Navigon for me. With route settings at the optimal default, it would advise me to come of the motorway 2 junctions early on my journey home from work, which would take me through another town before getting to the town where I live. This would add at least another hour to my journey. It did this on the very first journey I made so had no way to learn my driving behavior (if that is what is was trying to do).

Set the route to 'fastest' and it correctly advises the right junction to exit.
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use SatNav when I'm going somewhere where I don't know the best route, therefore I always follow the route suggested by the SatNav. For all other journeys I leave the SatNav switched off. How can it learn my driving style?

Are you saying that the latest technology means that we should leave our Satnav's (or Smartphone's) ON all the time?
Seems a bit big brother'ish to me.

And I still can't see how it would understand that although I HAVE to travel on country roads for most of my regular journeys I would prefer to use main roads for routes that I am not familiar with.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The devices don't care what roads you use, at least not yet Wink

What matters is how fast you drove on the roads you used. I tend to leave my pnd's on most of the time. Others use them very little. Obviously those with a lot of use would have some different experiences from others with little need for a personal navigation device.
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the TT mount with built in GPS. Can anyone confirm that this will enable a iPod touch to have full navigation function ?
That would give TT a huge extra market place compared to the other players in the iPhone area

ern
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erne wrote:
Can anyone confirm that this will enable a iPod touch to have full navigation function ?

No mention has been made of the Touch - so far it's all been about the 'iPhone', with no indication whether this includes the first iPhone (2G), which of course has no in-built GPS.

edit* In fact, I've just rechecked the TomTom iPhone page here, and it specifically states the solution is for the iPhone 3G. Undoubtedly this would include the iPhone 3GS, but suggests is not suited for the iPhone 2G or touches (if the mount enabled these devices - a USP - surely they would have declared this from the start).

We'll have to wait until TomTom has more to say (the end of time?). A recent suggestion was 8th August (do TomTom normally bring products to market on a Saturday? Seems a strange day/date to me).

Last edited by bedbug on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the issue of this being submitted to the app store as well. Sygic didn't seem to have any clear dates on when their products would be approved.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are TomTom the first company to sell an app with hardware? Assuming you can buy both together on the app store. Curious to see how that works, if that's the approach!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
Are TomTom the first company to sell an app with hardware? Assuming you can buy both together on the app store. Curious to see how that works, if that's the approach!

Other (press) coverage has suggested the software comes via the App Store, but the mount is to be bought retail (TomTom have said 'hopefully' in Apple Stores amongst others).

This might work for us 'dedicated' GPS nuts but may be a struggle in the case of casual purchases; presumably people will buy the software first; if the experience is far from perfect, how many will be prepared to commit more money for the mount to address their dissatisfaction?

I believe this is likely the first software to utilise the connector API to support dedicated hardware.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
There's also the issue of this being submitted to the app store as well. Sygic didn't seem to have any clear dates on when their products would be approved.

Indeed, I did think that might be a block to a specific release date.

There has been mention that Apple engineers have been supporting TomTom in the development, so perhaps between them they can agree a specific launch date? I've noted that Google have been able to pre-announce availability dates for some of their applications previously, so although there's no formal recognition, there does seem to be a 2-tier app store release system. No doubt the Apple-Google relationship is now 'tense' following the Google Voice debacle!

I'm on (a driving) holiday on the 11th, so I hope the hint of the 8th is correct (and availability is good for the mount!).[/i]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite how they actually sell this remains to be seen but they could sell the hardware through their normal chain and software via the Appstore or they could sell a bundle perhaps with a voucher code that enabled access to download the app.

As for pricing, some resellers are notorious for guessing on a price in order to generate traffic but assuming a price of about £60-80 for the hardware and £50-60 for the software £120 would seem about right 'if' you chose the bundle which of course you won't have to.
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the various pictures and the handtec site its hard to see what and how the mount can do much enhancing. The handtec site talks about enhanced voice instructions and so on but that's clearly the phone not the mount. The mount appears not to do much more than charge from lack of any visible connectors other than the 30 pin. I guess its got another antenna in it somewhere - but surely not through the 30 pin - given where and how the inbuilt GPS antenna works and is placed?

mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT mount has a speaker and its own GPS receiver and Antenna.
anothergpsmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK yes I can see the speaker, but how does the positional data get to the app? thru the 30 pin? If the app doesn't need the mount then it uses the internal GPS antenna/data, or, if it uses the mount antenna which then passes the data and ignores the built-in, then one would have thought it would work on the iPod touch . . .

but we are talking Apple and TomTom so who knows Crying or Very sad

Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothergpsmike wrote:
OK yes I can see the speaker, but how does the positional data get to the app? thru the 30 pin?

Yes
Quote:
If the app doesn't need the mount then it uses the internal GPS antenna/data, or, if it uses the mount antenna which then passes the data and ignores the built-in, then one would have thought it would work on the iPod touch . . .

Indeed, that's what we're all hoping and it would at least help justify the development of this specific cradle if it were to enable GPS solutions on Touch and 1st Gen iPhones.

But TT being TT, they aren't confirming or denying that yet Confused
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothergpsmike wrote:
thru the 30 pin?

Yes, Version 3.0 of the iPhone OS introduced an API to allow developers to control/communicate with external hardware through the iPhone's accessory/charge/sync connector.

So yes, it would be a shame if TomTom hadn't developed for the Touch, but everything to date has said 'iPhone'.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: