Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - sat nav for motorhome
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

sat nav for motorhome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcotts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: sat nav for motorhome Reply with quote

Hi all
I an thinking of dumping the Gramin nuvi 350 and getting a new sat nav spending about £350 but have my own idea of what i want. If i give my basic "must haves" here could anyone suggest a suitable unit. I have looked at the snooper vemtra but have gone off it

Must have
Europe maps
Ability to load my own pois CSV etc (for the aires) etc
Ability to plan route via waypoints (i often see the route i want and just need the sat nav to prompt me when the turns come up.

ability to avoid cutting corners off (the nuvi us terrible) and stick to major roads as much as poss (the feature i liked with the snooper) to aviod narrow roads. (the snooper doen have the other must haves.

Input destination via co ordinates

Simple list of turns etc when looking at calculated route.

If someone can suggest a unit that does these or most of them that would be great

Many thanks
Phill
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, have a look at the TomTom XL IQ or the Go-730, they both support itinerary planning and will route to Lat/ Long (TomTom don't support OSGB ref's though, just in case thats important, on line converters can be employed to go from OSGB to Lat/ Long though when required).

Custom POI support is available on both devices although they use ov2 format rather than csv, conversion between the two formats is very easy and free to do using something like POIEdit on your computer.

The TomTom can display a route summary and text based option offering all the turns/ distances and it doesn't tend to use the small country lanes unless there is no alternative. armin tend to class national speed limit all the same so the country lanes get categorised in the same way as A class roads leading to strange routes. I asked them about this at a trade show a year or two ago, I am not sure if they still do this but when I asked your Nuvi hadn't been out too long - Mike
drcotts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks mike
Ok i will look at the ones you suggested.
Its a shame that my Nuvi cuts off corners as otherwise i am fairly OK with it but being in a fairly big van (22ft x 6ft 6 wide) it can be a PIA when it send you down a narrow lane as opposed to travelling another 1/2 mile on a nice big road
Daft part is, even when you select quickest route it does this and if you ignore the turn and let it recalculate the arrival time is quicker.

Anyway thanks for the advice and i will have a look see

Phill

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: