Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon update is out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon update is out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Navigon update is out Reply with quote

On the App Store now.

Official updates are:

- Additional languages (UI and voice guidance): Portuguese, Czech, Polish, Turkish, Croatian, Romanian, Slovakian, Greek and Russian
- NAVIGON’s route planning function known from the companies PND line that enables users to plan a route with several destinations
- Radarinfo (not for all countries)
- Additional map view options (now displays street names in 3D view, optional points of interest (POI) dispoay)
- Call POI function (call the number of a point of interest or save it to your contacts)
- POI Filter (allows you to manage the POI’s shown on the map)
- Optimized volume control when using NAVIGON navigation and the integration iPod function of the iPhone at the same time

Last edited by Goober556 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
AshleyHinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the update this morning and then used it properly to somewhere I hadn't been before.

I've got to say this app is growing on me more and more, its so nice to have a sat-nav app in the iPhone - even with limitations, some of which may be Apple imposed (I'm thinking handling calls within the app)

Before you read the rest - PLEASE backup first - if anything goes wrong its not my fault Very Happy

For anyone interested in what's inside the Navigon app:

Sync the iPhone to iTunes if you've updated the app within the phone.

On your computer look in your Mobile Applications folder (on the Mac, this is: (your hard disk)/Users/(youruser)/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications.

Find the NAVIGON.ipa file (may be NAVIGON 1.ipa after the update)

COPY this file somewhere.

Rename the copy from .ipa to .zip.
Un-zip it.
In the un-zipped folder (NAVIGON) you'll find a folder called Payload.

Now on the Mac you can right click (or control-click) and "view package contents" - I'm guessing there is an app for the PC which might let you do the same?

Inside the package is the whole thing, the app, the maps etc.

Of interest is a folder called: "Overmaps" - which contains POM files, POIWARNER.NFS and some other stuff.

I've no idea if this can be made use of, for example with the PocketGPS World speed cameras, or indeed if it would break any kind of EULA because of a "hack"

Even if something was changed - the contents "re-zipped" and then changed back to an .ipa file and the put back on the iPhone - whether it would work I dunno!

Way beyond me - but I thought I'd share the knowledge gained by poking around so far.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the update has been removed from the app store - mine is still running v1,0,0 Europe Build and no updates offered - Mike
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed cams are ok (ish).

You get a voice warning when you get close, it says "Beware, watch your speed". Only the one warning and no audio warning of the speed limit, you have to look at the screen for that.

Seems to do gatso and specs. Traffic light cams are shown on the map, but no audio warning at all. No mobile cams of course.

No indication I can find on where the camera info is from or how often they will be updated.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It looks like the update has been removed from the app store - mine is still running v1,0,0 Europe Build and no updates offered - Mike

Doesn't look like they've done the Europe version yet. I've got the UK version. Have updated the thread title.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated mine this morning , seems a lot better and more road signs ect in 3D mode have not done a run with it as yet otherwise a good program ,just waiting for Sygic now for UK maps should be shortly.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
TELREA
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if this update will help sort out the constant gps dropouts i have had day 1
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Optimized volume control when using NAVIGON navigation and the integration iPod function of the iPhone at the same time

What does this do? - can you set volume of navigation voice at a different level to iPod music? - If so that would be great.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3GGG wrote:
Quote:
Optimized volume control when using NAVIGON navigation and the integration iPod function of the iPhone at the same time

What does this do? - can you set volume of navigation voice at a different level to iPod music? - If so that would be great.

I think the iPod auto-quiets when the navigation voice kicks in and then goes back to normal. Would be good if someone can confirm how well this works?

Last edited by Goober556 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
georgia2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ipod volume decreases by bout 75% when the navigation voice comes in then returns to normal. Also in the options menu you can set the volume for the navigation. As I change my car a lot have been using a venturi mini playing music, using navigation and the phone with no problems. I have yet to try out some of the other new features. Shame about the postcode not being sorted out yet.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon update for those of us running the Europe mapping is now available, bear in mind this is a large download as it has to download and install everything from scratch - how bl**dy stupid, a small 30MB update needs a 1,61GB download, it took over an hour even on my high speed internet connection.

Apple really do need to consider how downloads are supplied for the navigation applications as the map data should be kept seperate where possible, huge downloads such as this for a simple update are not very user friendly as they take ages! - iTunes and app store might have been OK for the smaller applications we have all been using, but things have now moved up a gear, costly applications with free updates are a great thing, but consuming over an hour for a simple application update ain't too smart.

Will be giving it a try in the morning though, although the update doesn't offer too much of interest to me by the looks of things - Mike
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple need to come up with a way of patching apps like this on the iTunes Store as this "download it all again" is hugely inefficient for everyone.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
but consuming over an hour for a simple application update ain't too smart.

Do you dowwnload via Itunes on your computer or Iphone?

To old to die young.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything over 10MB has to be downloaded via your computers internet connection WiFi access point directly to the phone, you cannot use the 3G of the phone for updates unless they are less than 10MB - Mike
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Anything over 10MB has to be downloaded via your computers internet connection WiFi access point directly to the phone, you cannot use the 3G of the phone for updates unless they are less than 10MB - Mike

I know that Mike, but I asked do you use Itunes on your computer or on your Iphone, in other words do you download to your computer first, then sync with your Iphone, or do you do it all directly via the Iphone app?

To old to die young.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: