Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacement Sat Nav for Motorhome - currently Garmin 2620.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement Sat Nav for Motorhome - currently Garmin 2620.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have bought a nuvi 770 and downloaded all the European camping and Aires POI's. it seems to work well (had to send first one back as faulty) and I can download routes & waypoints from mapsource to unit.....

I had bought an external aerial for my 2610. I stuck this to the inside of Heki roof light with double sided tape and it works very well. it cost approx £8 from eb*y. 770 has the same socket.....
xp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hymar a class all i do is use a swan neck sucker mount on the side window.
Yorkshire_Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings again!

Well, here I am nearly a year since I originally posted and started this thread!

Still have the Garmin 2620, but rather than pay for the updated 2008 maps I've been looking around to see if I should get a completed new Sat Nav - just like I did last year.

The TomTom Go 920T looks good for us - Western + Eastern Europe coverage plus USA/Canada which will be useful for our summer holidays (fly/drive - not taking the motorhome to the USA!)

Mounting issue still as before - may just go with a swan neck adapter unless someone has started to produce bean bags for TomTom.

Also considering the Garmi Nuvi 770 - similar maps as above, plus I think I'd be able to do as I do at present which is use the Garmin software on my PC to upload routes to the Nuvi (not sure if I can do this easily with the 920T).

On-line prices for the 920T and 770 seem very similar (£279 ish)

Suggestions and advice much appreciated.

Nigel.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confer with XP that a swan neck mount on the side window works. We have a Hymer B544 (older 1988 version) based on the Peugeot variant of the Ducato series and the only restriction is that it has to be mounted well forward because of the A-class sliding window arrangement (great for selling burgers when times get hard).

As for the distance discussion, even if you can read it 4 ft away, unless you're inspector Gadget your arms don't reach so you have to stop to do anything (change to night screen as an example).

I tried screwing the Brodit clip to the ashtray front (when yer van's 20years old it hurts less!) but found it to far right and out of view. I then realised that every holder I ever bought came with one of those discs you can stick on. Now these rarely work in modern cars due to the finish and curvature of most surfaces. But blow me down with a ragman's bugle if it didn't stick solid as a rock to the top of the instrument binacle first time! It's in the perfect place and no screwing needed.
Holux GPSslim
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my 770 for a few months now and its great, still have the 2610 as a back up and for the wife Laughing Out Loud

have downloaded lots of motorhome based POI and music and audio books to the 4 gb card I bought.

I would stick with the 700 series Garmin if I was you, as you will miss not being able to plan routes etc on a PC, at least I would........

TT have the home software but its not a patch on mapsource IMO

also I do not have to use the aerial that I purchased for the 2610 as 770 much better reception.
spacerunner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a Garmin 765t for use in my Ducato based motorhome.
Garmin do an anti friction mount, which I use, so the satnav can be plonked anywhere on a dash. No GPS extension is required and it has all the 'bells and whistles ' that you need.

OOps not anti-friction but friction! Embarassed
Yorkshire_Traveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Streetpilot 2680 or Nuvi 775T or TT Go 940? Reply with quote

Greetings all – an update:

Last year we took the plunge and bought a Nuvi 770. Took it to the USA with us in the spring, the mapping worked fine but we had problems with some of the other ‘add on’ features (photos, customisation, updates) the unit was faulty so we had it replaced under warranty.

Took the replacement unit to France and Spain in the summer and after a week the whole unit failed – fortunately I had also taken my 2620 with us albeit with outdated maps which saved the day.

Two 770 failures in six months left me somewhat disheartened so I returned the second unit and got a full refund (thank you Amazon).

I purchased the latest maps for the 2620 and all has been well until last week: maps not recognised after transfer, unit cycles on and off. Having done an Internet search on the problem it seems that the hard drive has failed (System Information says Basemap Fail and Cornice Drive Removed).

Having spoken to Garmin Tech support in the UK all that they can offer is a replacement 2820.

So, I seek the Forums advice do I?

1. Get a replacement 2820 (without USA maps) for £183
2. Get a Nuvi 775T for about £260
3. Get a Tom Tom Go 940 for about £290

The same parameters apply per my earlier posts.

You advice is appreciated.

Nigel.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: