Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatSYNC Version 1.2 - new release now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatSYNC Version 1.2 - new release now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob1988 wrote:
Don't Mac users get tired of complaining?

Never, Bob...Never. Wink

And the 10% market-share statistic is not based on recent sales figures (which, as you point out, would not be representative of total user-base), rather it comes from research published in February 2009 based on type of operating system used to access the internet- of which 9.93% of page accesses were made using OS X machines. Since virtually all computers running OS X are Apple-built Macs, either Mac users visit a lot more webpages than Windows people (unlikely) or approximately 1 in 10 people actually using a personal computer are using a Mac.

Now, where's my MacSync?
bob1988
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
9.93% of page accesses were made using OS X machines

This statistic is based on unreliable/intangable evidence. Does this evidence account for all of the iPhones and iTouches that are on OS X, browsing the internet?

I can just google and find some random quote:

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/04/22/mac-market-share-in-q1-2009-3-36-percent-apple-earnings-strong.aspx

Quote:
Mac sales were a much better than expected 2.22 million units, and though that's down a pretty meaningless 3 percent, year over year, it's enough for 3.36 percent worldwide market share. (In the year ago quarter, the Mac accounted for just 3.26 of all PC sales worldwide.)

I am not defending PCs or having a go at Macs just people can't quote random stats thinking that they are true, when you have no substantial idea where they came from or how they were gathered!

Anyway, I do want MacSatSYNC, and possibly a linux version would be cool.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob1988 wrote:
Quote:
9.93% of page accesses were made using OS X machines

This statistic is based on unreliable/intangable evidence. Does this evidence account for all of the iPhones and iTouches that are on OS X, browsing the internet?

I can just google and find some random quote:

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/04/22/mac-market-share-in-q1-2009-3-36-percent-apple-earnings-strong.aspx

Quote:
Mac sales were a much better than expected 2.22 million units, and though that's down a pretty meaningless 3 percent, year over year, it's enough for 3.36 percent worldwide market share. (In the year ago quarter, the Mac accounted for just 3.26 of all PC sales worldwide.)

I am not defending PCs or having a go at Macs just people can't quote random stats thinking that they are true, when you have no substantial idea where they came from or how they were gathered!

Anyway, I do want MacSatSYNC, and possibly a linux version would be cool.

The random statistics you chose to quote to illustrate your point just prove mine; i.e sales statistics are not a valid indicator of how many machines are in use out there in the wild (unless you have access to equally accurate "scrappage" figures - which nobody does). Therefore it is better to use some other index of computer usage that can be considered ubiquitous - and the best example of that these days is internet access. Thus my use of data collated for user-agent strings of clients that accessed a Google service in February 2009 (in which OS X and iPhone OS versions of Safari are differentiated) - which is where the 9.93% figure came from, by the way. Quite ironic really, since your "random quote" was discovered using google.
Anyway, we digress... back on topic: when's MacSync going to surface?
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa, c'mon, play nicely people...

irrelevant of the statistics, the Macintosh computer is widely used and the Active10 is just the sort of gadget that "Mac people" like; surely the lack of Mac comms software for it is a gap that needs filling. Platform hostility gets boring quickly.

IMHO I think it's bad that the PC SatSync needs this NET bloat, if this whole app can't be written in less than half a meg then somebody should be questioning their coding skills. I think you find the reliance on NET is the crux of the lack of a Mac SatSync.

now say sorry and make friends...

Nathan.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
whoa, c'mon, play nicely people...

irrelevant of the statistics, the Macintosh computer is widely used and the Active10 is just the sort of gadget that "Mac people" like; surely the lack of Mac comms software for it is a gap that needs filling. Platform hostility gets boring quickly.

IMHO I think it's bad that the PC SatSync needs this NET bloat, if this whole app can't be written in less than half a meg then somebody should be questioning their coding skills. I think you find the reliance on NET is the crux of the lack of a Mac SatSync.

now say sorry and make friends...

Nathan.

As The Inbetweeners would say, "Awww, friends....."

Cheers!
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: New Version New Bugs. Reply with quote

I have found a new and irritating problem.

The SatSync will not connect to the Active10
and will not even switch off when I have a
CF camera card connected to the PC by USB.

This was hard to diagnose until I realised
that the problems were when returning with
the Active10 and a set of pictures and never
on the way out during planning.

Popping the card out solves the bug immediately!
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Version New Bugs. Reply with quote

Westlothian wrote:
I have found a new and irritating problem.

The SatSync will not connect to the Active10
and will not even switch off when I have a
CF camera card connected to the PC by USB.

This was hard to diagnose until I realised
that the problems were when returning with
the Active10 and a set of pictures and never
on the way out during planning.

Popping the card out solves the bug immediately!

That might actually be the computer limiting power available on its USB ports, and the A10 waiting until it gets a fully functioning USB power supply before communicating. I've had this with the A10 and laptops with buss-powered hard-drives.

if this is the case it's a power management issue rather than a conflict.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC wrote:

Apple Mac-- I agree i have been chasing for over a year now, with empty promises. It is all very well saying one can use Parralles or some other emulation, but that requires buying windows in the first place!
A concerted MacSync campaign is required.

I'll join your campaign - new Active 10 owner and very long time Mac user - have been waiting since Nov 07 for the promised Mac compatibility before buying into Satmap - I see on the Satmap web site at present they are stating 'We are planning on releasing a Mac version of SatSYNC later in the year.' So, not long to wait now then ... even just the ability to upload routes would be something.
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smashing wrote:
For all your info - I never did get the newer SatSync working under Vista x64.

Just today, Satmap informed me; "SatSYNC v1.2XX does not detect the Active 10 on 64-bit Vista." So now we know.

Given how good they appear at fixing problems, I'm still a Satmap fan...it really is like some wacky futuristic device. Shows exactly where I am? On a real OS map? I'd never have believed it...

Satmap e-mailed me a link to a Satsync beta which works fine with Vista x64. It was also specified that I could not pass the link on.

That was some time ago and I am a little concerrned that this working solution hasn't been made more widely available.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: