Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera icons for Tom Tom Go 740 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera icons for Tom Tom Go 740 Live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyweimer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Speed camera icons for Tom Tom Go 740 Live Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the best speed camera icons are to load on the Tom Tom 740. I'm not sure if they are all compatible and would like to know if i need to load the speed zoned version of the cameras rather than the consolidated file. I'll be travelling in UK, France, Spain and Portugal so any advice would be greatly received

Many thanks, Tony
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start...
Welcome! Very Happy

Reading betwen the lines I think you're asking about the actual camera data itself? (as opposed to the alternative icons for them which you can choose).

If so, they are all compatible. The only choice is how much detail you want.
'Consolidated' won't tell you what speed you should be going at, just what sort of camera it is (Gatso, Mobile site, SPECS average speed zone etc.)

So the best to have is the 'Speed Zoned' set, but it just takes a bit longer to set up al the warnings (as there are more files).

The standard download will contain the camera data itself - a bunch of files with .ov2 at the end and also a whole bunch of icon files (what you see on screen). Put all of those on too as there are some double-sized ones which show in the top left corner when you approach a camera.

To cover the whole of Europe, you'll need to download both the "UK" database and the "Europe" one - they are kept separate because one is split out into miles per hour and the other in kn/h, but you don't need to worry about that, they all go into the Western Europe map folder, if that's the map you have.
Finally, you will probably want some "real voice" warnings to go with them, to replace the built-in bings and bongs. These ARE a separate download (from HERE)
tonyweimer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

That expalins the camera data

I've also seen a link to camera icons (with different pixel dimensions - at least I think that's what they are :-)

Any ideas on what the best set of the icons that you can choose is for the 740 as there seems to be some compatibility issues. I'd like to know the speed restrictions for each camera so I now understand that I need to download the speed zoned versions. Then I'd like some good icons and as you suggest a voice alert

Also, when I download these do they automatically overwrite the icons provided from the speed camera database? Or are there some instructions that I need to folow

Cheers, Tony
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard icons that come in the download are the original ones for the camera types and speeds (speed limit signs for fixed cameras and little tripods for mobiles etc.)and also a "x2" large version set for the top left corner which are all variations on the speed limit sign with different coloured backgrounds for the different camera types.

There are historical reasons why they have left it like that, but personally, I use my own set where the small icons are the same as the large ones.

Member Gerry_C has some very similar ones on his website HERE, which are the ones used for the double sized icons in the standard download (but again his ones are the same for small and large).

If you stick to 22x22 size for the small icons and 44x44 for the large, there are no compatibility problems at all, but all modern models of TomTom can also use the slightly larger 24x24 ones too.

One confusion is that with the very latest software, although it still uses 44x44 icons for the top left corner the software itself reduces it to a smaller size then previously. We haven't found a way round that other then to just change the icons to have only the numbers and not the "road sign ring" around them.
tonyweimer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gain Andy - I will probabley be downloading them tomorrow. So the 22 x 22s are the actual graphic for the camera and the 44 x 44s the indication that you get in the top left - so I'd need to download both sets if I wanted to change those that I get with the camera database download?? Do they automatically overwrite the standard icons or do something to make that happen

Many thanks, Tony
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to Andy's notes, I'd say the 24x24 would be best for the "small" icons. The 22x22 is really still there for devices that can't cope with anything bigger.

When downloaded and unzipped, the icon files have exactly the same filenames as the default ones. You just need to overwrite the icons on your device in the Western Europe (or similarly named) folder.

When you download further databases, just overwrite the ov2 files leaving all the bmp alone. You won't even have to set up the alerts again. Very Happy
Brodit ProClip mount
tonyweimer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I'll try this later

Do the custom voice prompts work for European cameras as well UK - or is there something else I ned to download for those

Tony
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some voices already set up for the European database on the same page as the UK voices.

Again, it's a case of setting them up once then just overwriting the ov2 files when updating the database.

Also, remember to backup your TomTom. See #1 on the FAQ page.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: