Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IPHONE & POCKET GPS WORLD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IPHONE & POCKET GPS WORLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Well we agree on some points as MikeB and I will be at Regent St on Friday in-line for ours Smile

I take it all back. You are officially promoted to Apple fanboys in my mind Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget some of the 'initial speedy gps lock' will be from cell triangulation or wifi geo-location making it seem like it has a gps lock faster - when in fact it is more likely to know a rough approximation of your position WHILE it is still getting a gps lock.

it works well though Smile

MaFt
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
don't forget some of the 'initial speedy gps lock' will be from cell triangulation or wifi geo-location making it seem like it has a gps lock faster - when in fact it is more likely to know a rough approximation of your position WHILE it is still getting a gps lock.

it works well though Smile

MaFt

Yes, I appreciate that (hence the term assisted GPS), but that's why I like the iPhone GPS. As far as accuracy is concerned it seems plenty accurate enough in practice e.g. when cycling or walking down streets (in the car I use dedicated TT).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
As far as accuracy is concerned it seems plenty accurate enough in practice e.g. when cycling or walking down streets (in the car I use dedicated TT).

Indeed, and it's fair to assume that was all it was intended for initially. It's when you test it in-car that the shortcomings are revealed.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Indeed, and it's fair to assume that was all it was intended for initially. It's when you test it in-car that the shortcomings are revealed.

I sometimes use it in car (if I am in my wife's, or a friend's) and I can't say I have noticed a problem with for example Google maps. The blue dot seems to follow my position pretty accurately, but I'm sure you have more experience, perhaps I just haven't noticed problems.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my iPhone 3G is fantastic. Some of the Apps are very good indeed and many are free and others cost next to nothing. It’s a great phone too.

However, Tomtom navigation? No, I don’t think so. To start with one would struggle to hear its spoken instruction in a Rolls Royce yet alone a Ford Transit van.

But there again, both Apple and Tomtom are big players and I have a feeling that this could be the start of something big. We will see.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
However, Tomtom navigation? No, I don’t think so. To start with one would struggle to hear its spoken instruction in a Rolls Royce yet alone a Ford Transit van.

Hence the cradle with speaker.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren
Hence the cradle with speaker? Yes, I missed that bit of news. Err! Please put that down as a bit of a cock-up on my part.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Double the performance,
Is that the little 2x icon in the features literature? Please dont tell me you fell for the hype. Dont ye recall when Apple were forced to add this to their misleading advertising? "Steps removed and sequence shortened. Network speeds may vary."

Quote:
Do you really consider a 3MP camera to be a 'decent' camera? 5,6MP+ maybe but 3MP with no flash?
Exactly, I love my HD, but anything! with a flash is better than a whole 5MP without.

Quote:
The iPhone mobile browser is the best by a country mile and makes mobile web browsing an almost enjoyable experience.
This is true however Opera Lite is getting close..

Quote:
Forums will always be a pain on a small screen and glued to the internet as I am even I can't be bothered to interact with them on a mobile browser very often.

That is what makes tethering a must have. I'm on holiday at the moment, what am I supposed to do, go to an internet cafe? A phone for a modem in my pocket and a notebook in my bag make an iPhone solution un thinkable.

Dont get me wrong, I like the device, really like the device, and I keep my eye on it but I refuse to let Apple dictate what I can and cannot do after shelling out half a grand.

just listen at ourselves. The GPS is poor, the features are choked and locked down, the battery life is carp, it costs more than a good notebook and is restricted to an expensive network

But hey, its got the little fruit on the back.

..and by the way, for the few users who like to throw the "use the search button" wobbler, as it is in the TomTom Portable Navigation Devices section this thread will never be found in the iPhone section.

Is the new layout too hard to understand?

Oh, apologies if you dont like it. Long flight and jet lagged.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The processor speed has gone from 400 to 600MHz and now has a separate graphics processor.

The 2x claims are of course unproven but there is good reason to believe that in day to day use many operations will be significantly quicker on the 3G S.

Tethering isn't a must have for everyone. I don't carry my laptop everywhere I go and when I do travel I can normally find wifi. But for those occasions where I can't I have a dongle and use the SIM out of my BB.

I've had a whole bunch of phones and still have a BB which gets less and less use but I like and prefer the iPhone. It's not a crime to say so nor is it a crime to think otherwise. But I don't feel driven to post denigrating anyone who is happy with their chosen platform.

On my iPhone I can watch movies (synced from iTunes) I have much of my music collection, I can browse the web much more happily than on any other mobile device, I can Tweet, IM, read and compose email and do a myriad of other things. Yes I could do most of them on other devices but not IMHO as well.

And of course we now have some games that would put even a PSP or Nintendo DS to shame. Show me a Nokia or PPC that can say that?

Thread also moved to the iPhone forum, now get some sleep ya grumpy git Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: