Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatSYNC Version 1.2 - new release now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatSYNC Version 1.2 - new release now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:

Just one thing,it is good to see them offering the Zagg Invisible Shield but why does it cost just shy of £20 from Satmap ( inc. P & P ) when youy can get if direct from Zagg in the USA at round about £10.17 ( inc P & P and depending on the exchange rate of course) ?

That is quite a difference.

Ian

What makes me curious is that the picture on the Satmap website to go with the Zagg details, seems to show it applied to the front of the "disposable" screen that costs one a of the price of the Zagg.

Surely the must have seen a unit in for service with a screen protector fitted to the screen beneath, or even read discussions here.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

If you click on the Zagg link it does say that it can be applied to either:-

The invisibleSHIELD should be applied under the normal Active 10 screencover

1. On top of the Screen Cover of Active 10. This will ensure it is protected from damage when for example it is on the lanyard around your neck, or in your pockets / carry case where it may be vulnerable to scratching by other items. Walkers in particular may prefer this option.
2. On top of the Inner Screen (i.e. underneath the Screen Cover). This will ensure the Inner Screen is protected at all times. Whilst the Screen Cover itself may still get damaged, this is of course easily replaceable, whereas the Inner Screen is not. Mountain bikers may prefer this option as it provides protection against damage from grit which may get washed under the Screen Cover in particularly muddy conditions.

Ian
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are, of course correct. I didnt go past the picture here:
http://www.satmap.com/ukstore/index.php?cPath=34_36&osCsid=3e9bbe45f7b40e420299660438963965
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't get this new software to work. The satmap doesn't show up in Satsync but only as an unformatted usb device in windows.

I have plugged the satmap in already powered and unpowered where it starts automatically - but no dice.

All out of ideas here - can anyone help?

I am running Vista x64 which was fine with the last version of satsync.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smashing wrote:
I just can't get this new software to work. The satmap doesn't show up in Satsync but only as an unformatted usb device in windows.....

Did the .Net 3.5 install properly or is that already on your machine? As I run XP I can't really help, but if it proves a major issue I can give you a copy of the old 1.023 Satsync to reinstall; with software I try not to burn my bridges, Confused though my machine does get a little cluttered.
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. .NET 3.5 sp1 is installed already and did not appear to re-install with satsync. Think i'll try a re-install of .NET next - hadn't realised the connection.

I might have to take you up on the offer of the previous version as I deleted it thinking all would be well. I just don't learn...

Thanks again
AndyHiggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Sat Sync Reply with quote

Having emailed Satmap a couple of times recently, it seems they have little interest in supporting Apple Mac users. Having been told at the Outdoors Show in March that they would have the software ready for Mac by Easter, they now say that they do not know when it will be ready!!!

It's really good to see them making progress on their software updates, but what about us Mac users, we still get outdoors as well ocassionaly Surprised

Anymore Mac users out there wan t to join me in contacting Satmap on a regular basis to remind them we still exist????
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Apple Mac-- I agree i have been chasing for over a year now, with empty promises.
It is all very well saying one can use Parralles or some other emulation, but that requires buying windows in the first place!
A concerted MacSync campaign is required.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC wrote:
Apple Mac-- I agree i have been chasing for over a year now, with empty promises.
It is all very well saying one can use Parralles or some other emulation, but that requires buying windows in the first place!
A concerted MacSync campaign is required.

Agreed - and quite apart from the Windows ownership issue, some of us OS X users won't install Windows on our Macs for other reasons (poor performance, lax security and an irritating amount of time wasted every time one boots Windows just to "keep it up-to-date" and scan for viruses/defrag hard drive/etc,etc. - and yes - I was a Windows 95,98,Me and XP user for 12 years before I saw the light and switched platforms when the horror that is Vista reared it's ugly head)

If you're reading this Satmap - Macs now make up 10% of personal computer sales. The ability to interface a GPS unit with a personal computer for route planning and storage is the second most important thing to most users after the performance of the device itself. By not bothering to port any of your software to OS X you are potentially alienating 1 in 10 current and prospective customers - not too smart, I think?
AndyHiggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind so much if it ACTUALLY worked in Parallels but i've only had it to work on Vista, which i was not going to keep on my MAC as it is a Hog at the best of times , never mind on Parallels. I can't get it to work on Parallels with XP, so either Satmap gets their finger out or i'll be moving to Garmin.

Garmin have been creating MAC software for their devices for some time now, OK they are a larger company with more resources, but they are at least acknowledging their customer's needs.

The most sold laptop in this country for the last two years has been the Macbook! Come on Satmap, if your not going to bother, at least be honest with us all.
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all your info - I never did get the newer SatSync working under Vista x64.

Just today, Satmap informed me; "SatSYNC v1.2XX does not detect the Active 10 on 64-bit Vista." So now we know.

Given how good they appear at fixing problems, I'm still a Satmap fan...it really is like some wacky futuristic device. Shows exactly where I am? On a real OS map? I'd never have believed it...
colinp_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smashing wrote:
For all your info - I never did get the newer SatSync working under Vista x64.

Just today, Satmap informed me; "SatSYNC v1.2XX does not detect the Active 10 on 64-bit Vista." So now we know.

Ahh, nice to know.
I have Vista x64 to and experience the same problems.
Emailed SatMap technical support last week and got no reply. Thanks.

Fortunately I have a separate card reader so can still get routes off and on the Active 10 and then use SatSync to convert them on the PC.
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smashing wrote:

New version (Version 1.212) was released on 10th June 2009
The software page states:-
Quote:
"Known issue with 64-bit Windows: SatSYNC will install but it does not detect the Active10. While we work on a solution, please use the Convert buttons and an SD Card directly attached to your computer to transfer routes and POIs.
bob1988
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Mac users get tired of complaining? Seriously, it's like there is some big conspiricy against you. I know I will probably get a torade of abuse from the Apple fan boys, but still... I am a Mac and PC user and I knew, going in, that Mac would not have as much software available to it and would be less compatible with other hardware.

Macs do not make up 10% of the personal computing market, even if you include all the iPhones and iTouches out there it is still about 5% of the UK market.

Quote:
The most sold laptop in this country for the last two years has been the Macbook!

This is a misleading quote and means nothing, just because the Macbook is the most sold individual device (probably counting all the variations under as one product) I am pretty sure that if you counted all the various ThinkPads, or Acer laptops, then either would far out sell the Macbook.

Mac users made their choice and knew at the time that there would be a lot less software for them, and should stop complaining because they paid so much money for an system that isn't easy to develop for, so less is available to them. As a Mac user myself, I was very aware of the pros and cons of buying a Mac before I spent all that money. Mac's are great at vertain things, but they are not good all rounders. Simple.
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob
point taken, But I when I bought the 10, I did so because the promise of Mac sync was made way back in November 2007.
If it had not been suggested then I could have taken another view, or still proceeded on the benefits of the 10 with my eyes open.
If it is not possible to create Macsync then let us know, if it is possible but there are major problems lets us know about them. It is the usual case of limited information and frustration, of which we all experienced at the beginning of 10 when we were screaming for information as to the various upgrades to overcome the initial hiccups.
However as you say as a Mac user we are used to waiting'Laughing'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: