Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 7 now on Sale - Warning U-Turn Ahead!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 7 now on Sale - Warning U-Turn Ahead!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Instead of TT7? Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Its a shame the Navigator 7 product wasn't released months ago as a great many loyal users won't go back to using it now, in addition the ridiculous list of supported devices doesn't help with future sales, TomTom shouldn't be dictating what PDA this will run on - The HTC products are decent devices but the list is woefully short IMHO - Mike

Frankly, Mike, TT shot themselves in the head over a YEAR ago, which was the moment they said they weren't going to release v7 as a retail package and/or as an upgrade to licenced users. That's what put me off buying TT ever again, and to hell with them. They honked me right off with their "we know better than you lot, we're releasing PNDs now, and stuff you PDA users" attitude.

So, now the credit crunch is biting their behinds, they wanna try to curry favour with us PDA users? Nuts to that (far too mild a term for how I feel, but this is PG rated, so there we go!). There's an old Biblical term they need to remember:

"As Ye Sow, So Shall Ye Reap".
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody remember this product?

Draw your own conclusions ;)
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. What is it?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess, ancient Dictionary on CD, so wonderfully up to date it includes either or both satnav and TomTom. Back in the days when you used to be able to use both in the same sentence.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time, long ago, TomTom was maker of PDA software and dictionaries in particular. I really like the En-Ger-En ones for Palm, and the English dictionary shown in the pic. Guess what? At one time they just quit offering them. Sound familiar?
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
cornz wrote:
Well, according to tomtom it doesnt work on anything less than WM6.1 which is frankly, pointless. All the ipaq 22x users cant run it as HP refuse to offer a WM6.x rom update so once again, those users are back to tt6.

In their defence, the 2210 is 8yrs old. You can't reasonable expect new software to be backwards compatible with devices of that age.

Good as the 2210 was (I still have mine) it's long since been superseded. HP's refusal or inability to offer a WM6 update is not TomTom's fault.

My 2210 is only 4 years old (last available one from Dixons at Manchester Airport) and cost around £450. Add a TOM TOM and that is quite an expenditure.
Anyway, the problem is that there are no maps available for it now, so which PDA should I buy to run TT7? I don't want a phone as I have a nice 11 year old one built into my 728i that still works perfectly.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Having owned Navigator since v1 I do agree with most of the points already raised, basically this is a product too late.

What they should have done is included added subscription features such as Live Services, why not encourage users to purchase legal copies and have all the new services such as HD Traffic.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing about this "new release" is that version 7 is already obsolete. They're putting version 8 into their damned PNDs, and have been for a while now, so again, it's far too little, far, far, faaaaaar too damned late.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 is still the current version for PDAs. The only differences between 7 and 8 are IQ routes, lane guidance and the use of maps with more detail and larger POI databases; all of which, especially the lane guidance feature are kinda pointless on PDAs. "Reality view" images require a larger screen, for instance; they are tiny enough on the screen of a One.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until they start concentrating on updating and taking notice of the usera submissions any version will be obselete, notwithstanding that the additions added in TTN7 are welcome in that at least you can put no entries on road changes that tomtom have ignored for years.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even so, that still won't make me buy another TT product. Not after the treatment we PDA users have received from those arrogant Censored Angry
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem got worse when Tomtom took over Teleatlas, one carp company joining another carp company to make an even worse carp company
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... you know what they say about carp... there's plenty more fish in the sea Twisted Evil
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Carping On Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
The problem got worse when Tomtom took over Teleatlas, one carp company joining another carp company to make an even worse carp company

There seems to be a degree of anger pointing at Tom Tom from many members here. I got my first version of Tom Tom at the time when, if you had a problem, you could ring up the program author and talk to him. Despite one or two niggles over the last 10 or so years, Tom Tom has guided me throughout Europe with very few problems, most being my fault.

Currently when I travel, my Tom Tom is often seen to be stuck to the £2K+ screen of the on board navigator of my BMW. Why? Because it works better.

OK, so PDA users have been left out in the cold? I went to our local electronics stores and could I find a PDA to buy? None at all! Even searching the web for new PDA's gives one little choice. Seems like CD players, their time has passed.
So if you have a mobile 6+ PDA, just say thanks and stop the carping! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, just done a search for PDAs and they still seem to be widely available, specifically the Asus a696 wich still seems to be current on the Asus website, I personally find the true PDA to be a worthwhile peice of allround equipment, I think the anger can be justified when companies like Tomtom have built up their business on the back of the PDA market and then suddenly dumped them virtually without warning.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: