Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8.351
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8.351
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the voice navigate option but it often disappears from the quick menu and has to be re-ticked to show up again. I stopped bothering after a while since in my experience the voice navigation has very poor voice recognition anyway.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't seem to write the settings out to memory very often, so as the unit sleeps not powers down when you press the "on/off" button, unless you are lucky, all QM settings are lost on the next - all to soon/frequent crash/reboot cycle.

So you have to re-re-re-re-re-reset them.

(I'm beginning to think all TT employees are required to use Garmin or some other make of Sat Navs!)
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 8351 installed and hey installed with no dramas for once. One thing I have noticed, there has not been any quick gps fix downloads through home recently. Anyone else noticed a lack of what used to be fairly regular updates??? Question
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have 8351 installed and hey installed with no dramas for once. One thing I have noticed, there has not been any quick gps fix downloads through home recently. Anyone else noticed a lack of what used to be fairly regular updates???

It's suppossed to be a weeks data at a time but i had them

26 May, 28 May, 29 May, 2 June

and i'll bet there'll be another today or tomorrow...
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005

I dont seem to get any gps quickfix updates at all.

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i can add 3 June to the list. Plugged in for the PGPSW Database update and there's another...

Other, more seasoned TT users here, don't use it but i'm trying to see if it'll sort out the slow GPS Fix problems with 8.350/1 NavCores....
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it now and got a mapshare update but not the gps quickfix !!!

I am using a high density sd card

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Well i can add 3 June to the list. Plugged in for the PGPSW Database update and there's another...

Other, more seasoned TT users here, don't use it but i'm trying to see if it'll sort out the slow GPS Fix problems with 8.350/1 NavCores....

So far, you seem to be the only one getting them, but more importantly, you are still running an earlier version. I am staring to suspect an issue with gps quick fix and the latest versions............ Twisted Evil
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm good point. I am running 8.351 but from an SD Card due to the slow GPS Fix times.....

Dammit. Could the answer be that simple? Hang on

Edit:

Difficult to know really. When i connect to Home i get offered the F & G drive. F is my SD Card 8.351 and G is the internal drive 8.350. I've been selecting G for the updates as that's where i want them installed. I'll have to wait a few days and see if i get offered another GPSQuickFix and then switch device to the SD Card and see what I'm offered then...

Well spotted. Thumbs Up I've asked TT now...

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you suspect the quickpgsfix file is dodgy, you can just delete. Its the epheremis folder on the root of the device. Then let the TT just seek out the satellites itself!

iPhone 12
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you suspect the quickpgsfix file is dodgy

Personally i think it more the other way round. The lack of GPSQuickFix makes it slow...

The "ephem" folder on the 8.310 internal drive has 3 files and receives updates, but the "ephem" folder on my 8.351 SD Card is empty and receives no updates.

If i use 8.310 i get near instant GPS Fix with GPSQuickFix on my driveway and at my desk. Certainly 2 seconds or less.... However this afternoon 8.351 took nearly 50 seconds to get a fix on my driveway. I've also had instances where 3-4 minutes later 8.351 is still looking for a valid GPS Signal.... 8.310 can get it in under 5 seconds in my garage every time!

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've copied the 3 files from the internal memory (8.310) to the SD card (8.351) and switched on and got instant lock at my desktop - To good to be true.... Perhaps in a day or 2 it'll offer GPSQuickFix for my 8.351???

If you have a pre-8.351 backup try copying the contents of the emph folder to the "ephem" folder on your unit. If there is anything in there NOW back that up first. Then try an Update Your Device... Maybe??

Edit: 3 reboots and each took <5 seconds at my desk to get a lock. Much better than the usual 3 or 4 minutes with nothing... Plus i'm getting 6-8 satellites instead of 2-4...

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a gamble. Emptied the "ephem" folder on my SD Card and loaded the 2 files in my backup from the day i got the 740. Connected to Home, selected the SD Card and i am now being offered a GPSQuickFix update.... Cool

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, this is fun innit?

I have a ticket with TT Support saying that since I updated to 8.350 the volume is rubbish. After several replies, they eventually said that 8.351 had just been released and would fix the problem.

I replied
Quote:
I downloaded and installed 8.351 early on 27th May 2009 and had it in use on 27th and 28th May for some 600 miles. The volume has improved only very negligibly and so the device is still unusable for me to hear navigation instructions and Traffic warnings. I have therefore rolled back to a backup copy of 8.302 and will now be able to hear the device.

Will you please ensure to log that 8.351 has NOT fixed the volume problem for me and I would like to know when you will fix it - when can I expect to have volume level same as with application 8.302? Is it possible you could issue me with a small patch to install on my device only, to bring the volume control back to that of 8.302?
They then asked me to connect to Home and copy/paste system info into my reply.

Today I received two replies to this, the first one said they are so sorry I'm having difficulty with this challenge and they have referred it to 2nd line support. The second reply two hours later says
Quote:
Thank you for your patience. Please try the following:

- Connect up your TomTom to the computer and switch it on
- Open TomTom HOME
- In TomTom HOME select Device - Change Device - Memory Card
- In TomTom HOME go to Main Menu - Show Contents of My GO

Please reply back with a list of all the items which are shown there.

In addition, if you see "Application" listed there, click on the '+' next to "Application", then click [More Info] and tell us what the version number is.
Here's the fun. I no longer have an SDHC card in the device - if you look back up a ways, you'll see I told them I'd rolled back to 8.302, mentioned 8.302 three times in fact. So when I click on the + sign next to Application, surprise, surprise, Home says I'm using 8.350, BUT I'M NOT, I'm using 8.302 (sat strength meter on device shows 8.302).

I had got my hopes up with the first email saying they'd passed it up to 2nd line, but now they are asking me to give them information culled from Home I begin to despair all over again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disregard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: