Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8.351
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8.351
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a feature I have not encoutered before when on a long drive yesterday with 8.351 on the 940 and that after some junctions where the lane guidance picture appeared, once the pciture had gone, the screen remained static but voice commands were still given. Just touching the screen to being up the menu then cancelling it cleared this.

I do not know if this is a result of the software update or the road details as I have never used it on the M6 before and this was where it occurred.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they had cleared the display freeze "feature" the 940 has done this from time to time since new, normally its the map display that stops but I have had it freeze on the Reality Veiw images once or twice, touching the screen is usually enough to wake it up - Mike
AlanH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm if the "dim display between instructions" option works with the latest upgrade. Following the previous upgrade this option no longer worked on my 520.
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While browsing http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65707, I followed a link to http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/hook.php?lang=uk where it says

On Tomtom running v8.350 navcore, plugins can not be used, as Tomtom has changed the screen refreshment method, that makes the plugin screen appear and disappear each time Tomtom application refreshes its screen.

mmmm, sounds related to the "screen refresh/flicker" problem!

Any comments?

Mark

Later .... another plugin site http://gps.dg4sfw.de/ says .... Will flicker with upcoming firmwares 8.35 and newer!!

There's a trend developing here!
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed 8.351 on my 740. It has fixed the GPS problem that was introduced for me 2 updates ago - fixes are now much much quicker, almost instant. I haven't noticed any other changes, but then I never had the dreaded volume problem anyway.

I still don't like the way they've changed the post code implementation so that you can leave it blank when there are street numbers available. They've not fixed that.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've just installed 8.351 on my 740. It has fixed the GPS problem that was introduced for me 2 updates ago - fixes are now much much quicker, almost instant. I haven't noticed any other changes, but then I never had the dreaded volume problem anyway.

Odd. My 740 is the other way round with regards to GPS fix. 8.310 gives near instantaneous fix but 8.350 & 8.351 can take some time to get a fix. Further tests over the last week seems to show this is really only relevant when i turn it on at my desk (near a window). With 8.310 i had no problems getting 6-8 satellites with the unit on my desk but with 8.350 and 8.351 it can take 2 minutes or more to get a fix and even then it's only picking up 3-4 satellites. I know they are not meant to be operated indoors but as i say i never had problems with 8.310. I can even sit here with 8.310 loaded internally and 8.351 on an SD card and swap between NavCores at repeat the above consistently.

However in the open it doesn't seem to be a problem so after a few more days i might just load 8.351 internally...

BTW I also had no volume problems either.

Quote:
I still don't like the way they've changed the post code implementation so that you can leave it blank when there are street numbers available. They've not fixed that.

Can you explain that a bit further? I'm not sure i've come across this...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Can you explain that a bit further? I'm not sure i've come across this...

If you have an address which is a building or house name as opposed to number, or if you simply want to navigate to High Street, i.e. you don't have a number, but there is a mix of numbers and names on the street. You have to enter a number, can't leave it blank as before. Doesn't it default to number 1? I suppose it's a logical improvement, but sometimes it doesn't "feel" right.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm planning to go to a named but un-numbered location on a long road, I find it easier and more accurate to find it on Googlemaps, or whatever, on my PC first and then to 'Navigate to junction' - picking the nearest one to where I'm going.

The Google local search function on my Go540 works well too - especially if I'm in a strange area and someone suggests that xxx Ltd in yyy might be able to supply something they can't.
itaylort
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just upgraded to 8.52 and my 540 will not lock on any satellite. It will only find 2 at best. The 8.50 did effect the lock and made it very slow for me.

unfortunately i was running it on the device and i cant seem to find my back up yet.

This is pretty annoying as its now not useable.

Ian

Last edited by itaylort on Sat May 30, 2009 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have an address which is a building or house name as opposed to number, or if you simply want to navigate to High Street, i.e. you don't have a number, but there is a mix of numbers and names on the street. You have to enter a number, can't leave it blank as before.

Ah, right. Thanks.

Quote:
just upgraded and my 540 will not lock on any satellite. It will only find 2 at best.

So it is finding some? Is this indoors or outdoors with a good clear view of the sky?
itaylort
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that is outside with a clear sunny day.

Interestingly enough when i bought the unit in november the unit would pick up a huge array of satellites from indoors with the windows shut.
So something has changed.

The slow lock with the 8.50 was accompanied with random rebooting whilst driving and when linked with slow lock was a real pain but at least it worked.

I have been trying to connect to home to see if it will pick any new updates but it doesnt seem to bring up the update page.

Im offf to get razzled so i will try again in the morning.

Ian
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interestingly enough when i bought the unit in november the unit would pick up a huge array of satellites from indoors with the windows shut. So something has changed.

Exactly what I've said to TomTom - currently awaiting their response.... I've been swapping my SD card in and out. Without the SD card and running 8.310 it picks up 6-7 satellites from my desk in under 2 seconds. With the 8.351 SD Card in it can sit in exactly the same place for over 3 minutes and nothing..... Eventually it'll get a lock and show 3-4 satellites..

Even on my driveway this morning it took 45 seconds rather the usual 1 second. However I've had no problems with it otherwsie...
itaylort
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I found my 8.310 back up and installed that onto my card and started up the 540 sitting in my living room furthest away from the windows.

Hey Presto, numerous sats found and instant lock( well 5-10 secs).

Tried it with the card out and using the 8.51 on the device and token effort sats found and no lock even outside. Poor upgrade for me.

So i guess ill be using that from now on and firing a quick email off to Tomtom.

Ian
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to have removed PHONE CALL and NAVIGATE TO SPOKEN ADDRESS from the quick menu.

The phone one I particularly liked.
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They seem to have removed PHONE CALL and NAVIGATE TO SPOKEN ADDRESS from the quick menu.

Are you sure they are still check marked in the quick menu preferences (page 4 of 8).
The options are on my 940
Tomtom Jukebox
Navigate to Google address
Report safety camera
Mark location of map error
Navigate to spoken address
Navigate to postcode
Add position to favourites
FM Transmitter
Call
Help me
Switch 2D/3D view
Switch day night view
Show weather
Switch sound on off
Show home work traffic
Locate buddy
Fuel prices

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: