Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsource - what is it and how do I load it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsource - what is it and how do I load it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerxes991
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Mapsource - what is it and how do I load it? Reply with quote

I have searched this forum, honest, but still can't find out some basic info about Mapsource. I've just bought a Nuvi250, successfully registered it with Garmin and installed updated software (5.00) and latest European maps. So far so good.

However, I do not have Mapsource installed, and I can't work out how to install it. Should I be able to? Garmin allows me to download it, but when try to install it, I am told that there is no previous version on my PC so it will not install.

Can anyone please point me to a description of what Mapsource would allow me to do, and how I can install it? Many thanks
Steve
rayle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are trying the update, try here http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209[/url]
xerxes991
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the Garmin site. But all I get is the following message from Garmin:

"A database error has occurred which prevents this page from being presented at this time.
We apologize for any inconvenience, and encourage you to try back again shortly.
If this error persists, please notify the webmaster."

Anyone else get the same message?

You may well be right about the software I tried being an update only, although the Garmin page I got it from seemed to imply it was the full programme, version 6.15.6, dated 20th April 2009.

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. I'm still unclear what I will be able to do with Mapsource, if I do manage to load it.....

Steve
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xerxes991 wrote:
I'm still unclear what I will be able to do with Mapsource, if I do manage to load it.....

Steve

Click HERE to download the User Guide.

Did you not get a cd with your unit. MapSource used to be included on it.

You can plan trips, place favorites on the map and load them to your unit etc.
xerxes991
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply and link to Mapsource manual. No, the Nuvi did not come with CD or DVD. I've just checked both Garmin and Amazon web sites and there is no indication on either that the Nuvi should have included a CD/DVD. There is no reference to Mapsource in the unit's instruction book, so perhaps I am not supposed to have access to Mapsource??

I've sent an email enquiry to Garmin, but am not holding my breath....

Steve
rayle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the file for Mapsource

MapSource software version 6.15.6

as of April 20, 2009
Download (62.97 MB)

I use Pando to send large files, if you PM me with your email address I can send it to you later when I am back on line.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xerxes991 wrote:
Thanks for reply and link to Mapsource manual. No, the Nuvi did not come with CD or DVD. I've just checked both Garmin and Amazon web sites and there is no indication on either that the Nuvi should have included a CD/DVD. There is no reference to Mapsource in the unit's instruction book, so perhaps I am not supposed to have access to Mapsource??

It's basically not of much use to you with that device. It's main use would be to create routes off-line and then load them onto the device. Some of the higher end nuvis allow this. You would need the DVD of the mapping along with MapSource to do anything constructive - which means you would have to buy the mapping a second time (effectively).
xerxes991
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Thanks for the help on this. All is now clear(er). If you don't get a CD with your device, it seems that the way to get Mapsource on your PC is to download the latest version of the map which is licenced for your Garmin. That puts the maps and Mapsource onto your PC.

This is not made clear anywhere on the Garmin website, or in my Nuvi's instruction manual, which is a bit annoying.

As to what I can do with it, considering that I only have a basic Nuvi with european mapping... Well, it is nice to be able to browse the maps on a full size screen. It also looks like it will be a useful way of adding and editing Favourites (Waypoints, in Mapsource-speak), especially if adding quite a few in advance of a holiday or trip, for example.

Rgds
Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: