Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 broken after trying to update map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 broken after trying to update map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: 720 broken after trying to update map Reply with quote

I had an email today saying there was a new map available. As I have a map subscription I connected my device to tomtom home and left it updating. When I came back the program said 'error user disconnected' or something. Now the device wont start. The only sign of life is the battery charge light illuminates when I connect. I've tried the reset button but still no good.
Anybody help please?
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still cant get a peep out of my Go 720. Presumably Im going to have to buy a new unit which is very irritating as it's not that long out of guarentee. Also I have purchased the map update service, now I will have to buy a new unit with the latest maps installed. Grrrr .

Can anybody advise what is the best way to contact Tomtom? Do they answer their emails or would it be better to phone them? Which I am presuming wiull be a long wait on an 0845 number.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try plugging it in to the computer and using Windows Explorer can you see any files and folder when you open the drive letter associated with the TomTom? - Mike
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Try plugging it in to the computer and using Windows Explorer can you see any files and folder when you open the drive letter associated with the TomTom? - Mike

Unfortunately it doesn't show a drive letter Mike. When I plug it in the computer doesn't show any sign that a device has been connected.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try a different usb port?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a backup of the device on the computer and a spare 2GB (or higher) capacity memory card? If so copy the backup to the memory card and insert it in to the 720, it should boot from the card, if it still won't turn on then something has died in the device - Mike
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Do you have a backup of the device on the computer and a spare 2GB (or higher) capacity memory card? If so copy the backup to the memory card and insert it in to the 720, it should boot from the card, if it still won't turn on then something has died in the device - Mike

I have tried that Mike and still no good. I have now contacted Tomtom and they have arranged for me to send the unit off for a repair estimate. Thanks for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: