Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
OK sorry, I should have said "distortion at 100% AND with low battery levels..."

If you give it a test, you may find that it now switches off at an earlier low battery level than before - another guillotine to deal with headaches!! I've discovered that, (can you believe it?) if you let the battery run down, the voice (and everything else) stops working. Surprised

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem Andy.

It's as much the fact that TT support have you go through a process of rebuilding your unit first of all, and then tell you it was written into the firmware, which says that either they have had loads of complaints and the numerous questions have thus prompted a response from HQ that this is what they have done, and that the communication between the team and support is virtually non-existent.

Had they said this straight off I, and many others, would have avoided all this hassle.

I understand that a company like TT has to evolve to survive, but with it comes responsibility. Every new iteration of unit should be on the same platform, but it seems as if they have so many different units out there they are unable to check everything and thus we get these problems.

Sometimes I wish I had never found this site - I'd then live in ignorance. Actually, if I did not have a computer I would never update TT and thus potentially never have any issues at all...
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be the same as buying a cheap hi-fi from Dixons, turning it up loud and then taking it back to the shop and complaining about distortion. I bet Mr Dixons never said he'd take it back, talk to the manufacturers and get them to change the inner workings of the amp and reduce it's output.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid wrote:
Not a problem Andy.

It's as much the fact that TT support have you go through a process of rebuilding your unit first of all, and then tell you it was written into the firmware, which says that either they have had loads of complaints and the numerous questions have thus prompted a response from HQ that this is what they have done, and that the communication between the team and support is virtually non-existent.

Had they said this straight off I, and many others, would have avoided all this hassle.

I understand that a company like TT has to evolve to survive, but with it comes responsibility. Every new iteration of unit should be on the same platform, but it seems as if they have so many different units out there they are unable to check everything and thus we get these problems.

Sometimes I wish I had never found this site - I'd then live in ignorance. Actually, if I did not have a computer I would never update TT and thus potentially never have any issues at all...

Got to agree with ALL of that! Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid wrote:
Actually, if I did not have a computer I would never update TT and thus potentially never have any issues at all...

Actually, if I did not have a computer, I wouldn't be sitting here today spitting nails over why my new zillion megaherz PC and zillion megabytes broadband are running at backwards speed for the last 24 hours. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
720 bells and whistles....

mp3 juke box - works fine
FM transmitter - works as well as any other low powered transmitter
Bluetooth streaming - works brilliantly
TTS voices - works
Hands free - works on my son's and wife's phone - agree it might be NG with many newer phones
Mapshare - works fine (except POIs)
Traffic - doesn't work properly - poor reception

I think that's about it for extra goodies, and I can't agree they are all rubbish.

The reason I bought a 920 instead of a cheaper model was because:

mp3 playback
handsfree calling
RDS-TMC Traffic
TTS Voices
Streaming Bluetooth

Since day one, there has never been a point when ALL of these features have functioned satisfactorily.

mp3 playback - the volume is too low and we can no longer adjust the volume independently of the nav instructions. Stuttering and sticking now occur, as well as variations in playback speed.

handsfree calling - has NEVER functioned for more than a day without resets etc being needed. This is with 2 different phones, both on the compatability list - a Motorola V3 and a Nokia 6300. I have replaced under warranty 5 (or maybe 6?) x20s because of this problem. The early 520s just had a constant buzzing on Bluetooth and no one could hear you! I have now completely given up on this as I need a reliable handsfree due to the mileage I do.

RDS-TMC Traffic - didn't work at all until Navcore 8 came out. Now delay info is displayed as average speed of 20 km/h - what is that in English? - I can't convert from km/h to mph on the fly whilst driving to make sense of it.

TTS Voices - since 8.300 I have had stuttering / repeated words and it is still happening.

Streaming Bluetooth - works brilliantly once you could actually find a device that worked with the TT. This has improved since TT 'fixed' the software as per the BT Hifi Fix. TT could not offer any advice on what it would work with, and actually kept advising about mobile phones as they didn't even seem to understand what A2DP was or that it was even possible to stream audio!

And to top it all, even with the volume at 100% the device is now inaudible at motorway speeds. Even with the iO Play cranked up to 100% it is still quiet, before 8.350 you could blow your head off with the volume at 100% and the iO Play at full volume.

I don't think it is asking for much for TT to actually fix these issues as they are all advertised features that don't work reliably. If this was a Windows Operating system imagine the stick that Microsoft would be getting if you could only have one Window open at once without the PC locking up and rebooting!
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
720 bells and whistles....

mp3 juke box - works fine
FM transmitter - works as well as any other low powered transmitter
Bluetooth streaming - works brilliantly
TTS voices - works
Hands free - works on my son's and wife's phone - agree it might be NG with many newer phones
Mapshare - works fine (except POIs)
Traffic - doesn't work properly - poor reception

I think that's about it for extra goodies, and I can't agree they are all rubbish.

Got to agree with the other Andy's response to this Andy_P post.

Andy_P, Bluetooth Streaming doesn't work well. If you activate it, on the fly it will cough and splutter until you reset the device. ANY need to do a reset is a dangerous thing. And the reason your IO-Play works well is because it ignores the AVRC profile for controlling the device which is fundamental to the whole bluetooth streaming idea. Parrot (who after all are up there as perhaps the original and possibly best known BT Carkit Company) do it well. It works with EVERY other Bluetooth enabled device I own through the carkit beautifully. Even people who hop in the car for a journey (I drive a lot) connect to it with AVRCP functional and it's SWEET, fast and rock solid for hours. Blackberries, Nokias, old PDAs you name it. But the Tom Tom doesn't. It disconnects all over the place and does random things. I still don't know why I can't advance the track on the TOM TOM screen when I lose GPS signal in a tunnel....what on earth is THAT all about?

I have a cheap FM transmitter which I sometimes use in the Motorhome plugged into the 720 which has one built in. Why? Because it's better. And why all that interference when I plug in the TT-supplied power cable?

See my original post re-traffic. Why can't it take the original route into account? If I route from London to Tynemouth and there's congestion at the Tyne Tunnel at 5pm it won't put me back on that route even though it's clear at 10pm when I get to it. It routes me through Newcastle, which is longer and I can't see why anyone at TT would think that was acceptable? It goes against the whole point of the traffic concept. It PREVENTS you taking alternative routes which is ridiculous. Major flaw.....along with the fact that the data it uses is unreliable which may not be TTs fault (although I'd like to see them using their clout to change that).

I'm beginning to suspect you might be a BETA tester or something with a vested interest because these LONG TERM issues and bugs are unacceptable. And yes these are either bugs or at best lazy bodges. I'd accept all these issues in the name of progress if they were fixed quickly but they're not.
Holux GPSslim
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
Why can't it take the original route into account? If I route from London to Tynemouth and there's congestion at the Tyne Tunnel at 5pm it won't put me back on that route even though it's clear at 10pm when I get to it. It routes me through Newcastle, which is longer and I can't see why anyone at TT would think that was acceptable? It goes against the whole point of the traffic concept. It PREVENTS you taking alternative routes which is ridiculous. Major flaw.

Interesting. I was not aware of this issue. But you are quite right, this is a major flaw.
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a reply from TT re the screen refresh issue and guess what its all my fault.

It my fault that TT Home has corrupted the download 3 times!

Its my fault I did not run the clear flash tool prior to updating.

Clearly its my fault that every update from the day I purchased my 520 causes me problem that means I have to revert to some sort of work around.

TomTom support just give a stock answer so that they can close the question down and satisfy their bosses they are meeting their 'Resolve Issue' targets.

They have no interest in actually helping people with issues. If they were they would keep the question open until my issue was resolved.
Evil or Very Mad
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
jimbo_hippo wrote:
Why can't it take the original route into account? If I route from London to Tynemouth and there's congestion at the Tyne Tunnel at 5pm it won't put me back on that route even though it's clear at 10pm when I get to it. It routes me through Newcastle, which is longer and I can't see why anyone at TT would think that was acceptable? It goes against the whole point of the traffic concept. It PREVENTS you taking alternative routes which is ridiculous. Major flaw.

Interesting. I was not aware of this issue. But you are quite right, this is a major flaw.

Seamaster. To be fair I'm not 100% sure that this is still the case but I created a seperate thread on it and it seems the general concensus is that it doesn't look at the original route once you've opted for redirection. I't s a tough one to prove without 2 people setting out on the same trip. The only reason I strongly suspect that it is still the case is that I recently had the very scenario I gave above. At Scotch Corner which is about 3/4 of the journey, the incident was gone from the traffic bar but a look at the turn by turn still showed me on the re-routed journey via Newcastle. Then i entered Tynemouth as the destination (i.e. as a fresh destination as I did on leaving London) and it took me through the Tyne Tunnel. So if the incident isn't there any more but it hasn't put you back through the tunnel then the theory stands. Nedd to prove it a few times to be 100% certain though.
Holux GPSslim
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it does put you back on the original route if the delay clears. As you say, a major flaw.

What I tend to do is keep recalculating my original route as I approach any major traffic incident that I have opted to route around.

Quite right about AVRCP - my head unit and the iO Play support it, but it doesn't work with the TT. Mike Alder is adamant the TTs don't support it but I am sure I have seen somewhere that they do ......

AVRCP works brilliantly from my head unit and the iO Play to my Nokia 6300 phone!

I have given up on the 920 for handsfree and mp3 playback as neither work satisfactorily. I play mp3s on the head unit, and use the iO Play for handsfree and navigation instructions. In other words, I have gone out and bought another product to fill the gap because the TT does not perform as advertised. Sale of Goods Act anyone??????
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed all round Andy.

In fact I love the playback of audio from my Blackberry over the Parrot. It works so well, is so fast and NEVER coughs, splutters or reverts back to the internal speaker (unless I turn off the engine). And I don't need to go near the phone since AVRCP works. But I can't have navigation at the same time from the car speakers over the top of Van Halen 1 which I need in areas I don't know.

The TT is sold as this picture-viewing, hands free, Mp3 playing centre for all your bluetooth needs. it falls way short of that. Nobody else would even consider producing a music streaming bluetooth device without supporting AVRCP. Yet Tom Tom seem to think it's ok to only have half the functionality......for years....whilst blaming all the 3rd party devices.
Holux GPSslim
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why those of us who didn't have distortion should have to put up with low volume when those who did could have been advised to lower the volume until the distortion stopped.

I've told TT support that and asked for a fix sooner rather than later.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And like all of the bugs, they will be releasing a new version of the application to fix this.

Like they did to fix all of the following:

Stuttering voices
Variation in mp3 playback speed
Locking up on handsfree calls
Map position lagging behind where you are on the road, especially at roundabouts

Oh look, a flying pig going past .......
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why can't we have patches for items quickly? Why do we have to wait for a major release for stuff which, in my opinion, isn't rocket science and a company of this size should fix ideally overnight, at worst in a couple of days. I work with hardware/software combinations and (as I've said a million times before) we'd be bankrupt if we were this bad.

(since I got chastised for swearing please feel free to substitiute any word you like for 'bad')
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 35 of 39

Jump to: