Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - X 960 New Edition will not load.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

X 960 New Edition will not load.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
backtothewind
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: X 960 New Edition will not load. Reply with quote

Hi

I realise that there is already a thread on the 960, but I didn't want to hijack the thread.

My problem is a little different.

My unit will not load up, it opens with the VM flash screen, couple of beeps and then "Please wait". It then flips back to the blank VM flash screen, then back the "Please wait" and so on.

Now I have had no problems before, used it yesterday in the car. This morning kaput!

I have rest it several times, I've fully charged the unit while connected to the PC. It will run the demo (without the SD card) but will not load.

I have contacted VM.co.uk by email, are they still operating?

The unit is just over one year old.

Can anyone help.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you tried a 'hard' reset or just a 'soft' reset?

Can you communicate with the device through your PC?

What did you do last that could have caused this? e.g. Uploaded cameras?
backtothewind
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike and thanks for the reply

Not sure about hard and soft reset. I have used a "non ferrous metal spike" in the reset hole on the back and I have also used the content manager to do a "restore PND".

New speed cameras were downloaded on Saturday and the unit was used successfully on Sunday. It was left in the car, plugged in to power but may NOT have been switched off.

I have charged the unit, until the indication light is green.

Roger
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply Roger.

There are two types of reset on my VM unit and I'm assuming on yours. The soft reset normally just 'clears the units head' and fixes minor problems, the hard reset normally resets things back to a working state i.e. factory settings. On my 980 this is achieved by pressing 2 buttons on the front of the unit while pressing the reset button at the rear with the stylus. You would need to check your manual.

There are two options for restoring, you have done the PND but there is also a restore procedure for the SD card on the CD/DVD. Have you checked the SD with a reader to see whats on it? Are you using the original SD or a replacement?
backtothewind
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike on the 960 there are no buttons on the front, only the main On/Off on the top. There is a reset hole on the back.

I have opened up the SD card on My Computer but not sure what to look for. It is the original card bought with the unit.

WhenI did the PND restore there was a warning that all personal data would be lost, after doing it, twice now, all my POIs and routes are still there. does this mean the Restore PND has not worked.

I have not tried to reset the SD card, but since that is all that is left, I might try it and see if there is any effect.

Roger
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Could you let me know the full 960 model number, the software version and the map you're using please.

With that we can home in on getting you the correct information you need.

Sorry to be so long winded but it's best to start with as much info as poss.

The reason the routes etc are still there is because they are on the SD card. Does this mean you can see the info there? I'm confused Embarassed
backtothewind
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Mike ALL IS WELL Very Happy

After six and a half hours download time!!!! I have reinstalled the data on the SD card .................. and IT WORKS.

Thanks for your help

and by the way I saved all my data off the SD card first by taking it out of the SatNav and then put the file back after the marathon download and all my data is safe.

I think I may copy the contents of the SD card to a safe place just in case it happens again

Roger
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger, I'm glad you got it sorted.

I think you've learned a valuable lesson there, always make a copy of your SD card using Internet Explorer. I take one before and after I do an update of software or maps.

Good Luck
habzi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: i need help Reply with quote

people i realy need help . first i bought my vm x960 from a market and the memory card was blank and i downloaded (took me 9hrs ) what i believe should have been on the memory card and when i inserted it into the nav ..... it came up with canaries.fdp (storage card ) and Europe.fdp (storage card) and when i go on any of them it says are you sure u want 2 change the map . I go on Yes and it says something like mapsonic.exe has performed an illegal operation etc ..... i don't what is wrong and i would be glad if someone would explain and help me solve the problem i would hate to download again . Do reply a.s.a.p .
Thanks
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look on the site, as I remember Mapsonic errors happening before. I can't find anything too helpful but you might like to do a few searches anyway, eg for "mapsonic AND Viamichelin". In one instance a pretty severe remedy was to COMPLETELY UNinstall the software and delete all VM files so there's no trace on your PC and then do a complete reinstall again - I guess you aren't deperate enough for that yet?!

Can you say what version of software you have? How did you download it and where from? What happens if you say 'No' when it asks you if you want to change the map? When the unit is started can you get at the initial menus in any way?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: