Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Inforad
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Inforad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trellian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Inforad Reply with quote

I've just ordered the small cheapest Inforad to have a play with. I saw a message on here from 2005 stating that it may not include mobile speedcams.

Does anyone know if it does now include them?

And the obvious question, how does the accuracy of cam placements compare to our beloved one here?

Thanks.
trellian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now had it confirmed from Inforad that they "hope to" implement mobile speedcams in the future. So anyone who has bought one beware as it does say in their manual "3 beeps for potential mobile speed camera zone"
Caveat Emptor
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you get what you pay for. There is no way these guys can offer a reliable database at that price, simple as that. The data is the essential ingredient at the end of the day!
trellian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree, I've had your camera dbase for a while. I got the Inforad cheapo to take out when I couldn't be bothered taking out my Pocket PC with Tom Tom installed, you know for familiar journeys where I don't really need a satnav.

It is a great idea, only a few inches long and clips anywhere in the front of the car, but not much use!! At least this thread will be a warning to others.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly we were very close to releasing our own hardware device but the financial climate has put paid to that for the time being at least.

It's still something we hope to offer and as soon as the market picks up we will do so.

There are many operators in the market and few are set-up to offer quality data in the long term. They have no infrastructire to collect data so how do they offer free updates for life? The answer is they care not about repeat custom, once they have sold you the device they're done. This is one area were the current economic climate will so some good and cull the sharks.

Witness the number of iPhone apps already available. Some have excellent interfaces, some are dire but so far ALL have rubbish data. All this does is put off potential customers and understandably so but we will be stamping our presence in that arena very soon and hopefully it will fund other projects.
Whitefiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I did contact Inforad technical support about the lack of mobile cameras, and they said that it is possible to use the files from an older (and more expensive) inforad, where I believe they did warn about mobiles, or to upload mobiles from another Database (they quoted Route 66), and did sort of provide instructions.

I actually have one of the old inforads, but I haven't got round to trying it yet - I am concerned about having two devices on one PC.

The comment about "you get what you paid for" says it all really. My K1 says it has room for a further 255 POIs. Chocolate teapot?

Best wishes,

White.
andynumpty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you import a camera database to use on an Inforad?
trellian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andynumpty wrote:
Hi, can you import a camera database to use on an Inforad?

Well yes, the inforad one, that's basically all this smallest inforad unit does (there are some other bits but not very good).

They update the database on Friday evenings, you just plug the unit into a PC USB socket, fire up the inforad software on the PC and press update.

As far as I know you are only getting fixed cameras, not mobiles.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: