Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can simply add maps later on and they will just open with the existing application, where this can get messy is if/ when you end up with maps that will only open with different versions of the Memory Map software, then you need two versions on the same PC.

You can install the maps to the PC's hard drive, I would suggest you do this as it makes access time much less, the map will be displayed and in use far faster than when reading from CD/ DVD.

Not too sure about the license issues around multiple useage, I know recently they have altered the license provision for the PDA/ mobile devices.

For aerial photography I would consider Google Earth, its far cheaper and works very well, if MM are selling a disk with the Aerial pictures included for a token amount then maybe - Mike
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Garmin eTrex Vista, there's no need to use Mapsource.
Simply plot your route in MemoryMap and upload directly to GPS.

After the walk, download your track from GPS to PC and view it on the map or on the aerial photography (either flat or in 3D).

Don't think they've finished Scotland's aerial photography yet.

MM's aerial photography is less 'clunky' to use than Google Earth, I think, and the track loads straight in to MM without the hassle of converting to .kmz files.

Dales.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I believe that up to MM v5.1.3 (still avilable for download from the MM uk website) the license permitted installation on up to two devices (Desktop, Laptop or PPC) but in practice it could be installed on more devices using the same username.

Versions 5.2.7 onwards include a new license management system which enforces the installion of the software (and potentially maps) on a maximum of two PCs and two PPCs.

Some years ago I bought the Premium GB v5 (i.e. with Aerial Photos) which came with no Scottish photos. Since then, MM have sent me two Scottish photo DVDs for no extra charge, but the coverage still seems far from complete. In my opinion not worth the extra 50% over the price of the 1:50k mapping alone, but bear in mind that you can only buy the photos when bundled with the maps. The resolution of the photos has 3.3 metre pixel sides, but the .QCT file format uses only 256 colours so the pictures can appear quite pixellated. Note that the competing QUO free software allows the downloading of 10m resolution photo tiles at no cost.

Global Gizmos received bad reviews in the "Retailers..." section of the site here and I believe is now in receivership (you can't actually place an order on their website).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Quo also do maps for Slovenia Smile

I'm not aware that you can buy electronic maps directly from the OS. They license their maps to OEMs to run only on specific versions of their software. Yes MM probably offers the best range of maps and you can even calibrate scanned maps on their "European Edition" version (included free in the v5.1.3 licensing system but maybe not their new management system).

Before buying the Garmin Topo GB, please look at some reviews (and the free Mapsource Viewer on the Garmin website if you know any specific areas already). Topo does not include many/most footpaths used for walking in the UK. Sad

Expansis have about the lowest prices I've seen, but I have not used them myself. It's difficult to know how long maps have been "on the shelf" (MM say they always manufacture using the latest available data) so it might be safest to buy directly from MM (Evo) although they charge extra for shipping and currently have a poor Euro exchange rate.

Cheers, Alan.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Your English is fine, far better than my German Smile

Yes, there are many complaints about the OS License model. It's necessary to buy different maps (for which the OS receive a license fee) for each of the following (for example): Memory Map, Anquet, Fugawi, Quo, Tracklogs, Satmap (handheld), Viewranger (phones), etc.. As far as I know, the only "transferrable" OS maps are from the first four listed above to Windows Mobile PPCs, and just MM to the Roadangel and some Windows smartphones.

Also, it is almost certain that MMv6 if/when it appears will not be allowed to accept v5 maps. See the changelog ("Click here to review changes..") from the MM downloads page here which says:

"1. Ordnance Survey contractual restrictions prevent MM V5 OS Editions from using OS data from previous versions. All other previous non-OS data is unaffected and can continue to be used in Memory-Map V5."

I believe there is, and only ever has been, one version of Garmin Topo GB (v2 ! ) and this contains just elevation data (and maybe water features) from the OS, plus road mapping and POIs from Navteq (who are mainly concerned with motoring, not walking). However, you can get very similar elevation data (SRTM contours) free from the SMC here and of course many POI categories from this website.

Cheers, Alan.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: