Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice Please. Active10 or Garmin Oregon.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Please. Active10 or Garmin Oregon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebnats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Advice Please. Active10 or Garmin Oregon. Reply with quote

As a newbie to gps I would like advice on purchase of Active10 or Oregon. My activity use would be for Hiking/Mountain Bike/Photography .Also possibly to try geocaching. Having read some reviews with most saying initial bugs on both models have been sorted I would like real users opinions re ease of use, screen image if mounted on bike and quality of mapping. Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers.
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with bike use, but I've been happy with my Satmap as a walking device. I guess not many of us have used both gadgets, and obviously on this group you will find a bias towards Satmap. But if you consult reviews by Trail's technical editor, Outdoors Magic and the BBC you will get the same outcome. For me, though, one of the key points is that Satmap offer 1:25 and 1:50 OS maps for everywhere, Garmin only for the national parks at this stage.
As a relatively recent (three months) user, I can confirm that there are no significant bugs outstanding. The thing just seems to work, and with the battery pack, works for a long time.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although ostensibly competitors, the Oregon and Active10 are very different devices.

I would argue the Oregon is a dual purpose device as it has routing capabilities and road mapping. But as is often the case it becomes a jack of all trades and master of none.

The Active10 is superb, works well in its chosen environment. For the keen walker and outdoor enthusiast who wants a device that works well, has the full range of maps available etc then the Active10 can't be beaten.

For occasional use the Oregon is good but it's smaller, the touch screen isn't ideal with gloved hands and the map rendering is still not as good as the Active10, but it can double as a road navigation device which currently the Active10 cannot.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I think if you look through the Active10 threads you will find a number of posts about its use on bikes as well.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

...the Oregon... can double as a road navigation device which currently the Active10 cannot.

Actually, this is incorrect. I think you'll find there are many who use it on the road. I'm sure there is a market for a Satmap windscreen mount.

Whilst it's clearly not designed for road use and there's no soothing voice to tell you the way, the A10 works just as well in the car; of course it merely shows you where you are.

I have the A10 windscreen mounted. I got hold of a standard windscreen mount and modified it to be able to screw on the bike mount - others have posted various solutions.
I find it operates acceptably as a road nav device, although it's important to avoid the dangerous temptation to fiddle with the buttons whilst driving (I occasionally zoom between the 1:250k road map and 1:50 mapping). I have found it really useful at night, set to around 40% brightness. If you're alone and don't have a car satnav (yes, there are still one or two of us out there), it's way better than having to keep stopping to consult a road map.
Pre-planning a route is useful although obviously more time consuming than keying in a destination a la regular satnav.
On longer journeys I like to have the data boxes showing distance travelled as well as distance to go. Yesterday I drove from Dorset to Notts and it helps to relieve the boredom of the 3 and a half hour journey. Even on the motorway it can be interesting to know a little more about the area you're passing through. (A bit sad I know, but I have to confess to being captivated by the mapping!)

Other thoughts...
On a ferry crossing to the Isle of Man last summer, just to pass the time, I propped the A10 on a table in the bar. We had a card game going and just looked across now and again to see which mud banks we were passing through or how fast we were travelling or how far there was left to go. Loads of passing people kept stopping to also look.
I have also found the A10 is pretty good using 1:25k mapping on the golf course - useful for improving your judgement of distance.
And in the air - just interesting to see where you go.

By the way, yes I also use it for walking, runnng and cycling! A bit of a fan.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocam wrote:
Darren wrote:

...the Oregon... can double as a road navigation device which currently the Active10 cannot.

Actually, this is incorrect. I think you'll find there are many who use it on the road.

Whilst it's clearly not designed for road use and there's no soothing voice to tell you the way, the A10 works just as well in the car; of course it merely shows you where you are.

Uh - quite! It's not a navigation device in the normally accepted manner which was the point I was making.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Darren, I knew what you meant. Embarassed I just thought I'd elaborate for Rebnats.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To compare them is not my scene!
This is the thread on the Oregon:-
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73252

The Oregon has improved through numerous firmware updates recently.
It works well as a handheld and in the car and for the camera database but it does not talk to you.

They are bringing out a new Oregon with an in-built camera.
Balderovich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmap does enough for me on the bike. I don't need cadence and heart rate info.....which I think Garmins (mostly) provide, but distance time and ascent are useful.
Satmap can mount on stem or bars but watch stem size and rise as Satmap can tilt that bit too much towards you for visual comfort with the wrong stem and a shorter cockpit. Bar mount is more adaptable.

Balderovich
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only issue with use on my bike, is the colour of the route - pretty similar to road colours. Not easy to spot with a quick glance, especially in bright daylight. Fine when walking, not so good on a bike. I wish they would give us a choice of route colours, or default to something quite different to road colours (unless, of course they have, and I've not noticed a setting - or is that wishful thinking?).

Rick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: