Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman BT route pause discussion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman BT route pause discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Navman BT route pause discussion Reply with quote

This thread has been split from the original, which can be found here.

RogerStenning wrote:
The ability to pause a route guidance, for instance, at motorway services, so that the s/w takes note that you're having a break (or whatever), and you don't have to re-set the damn journey after you've had your break. i.e., all you'd need to do it unpause the route.

That make any sense?

Not really, not to me anyway. When I stop at services I turn my iPAQ off. When I turn it back on the route is still there, and picks up from where it left off.

Last edited by Tim Buxton on Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Forgive me , but at the risk that I might be in the wrong thread Embarassed , I thought I would add that it's the same with the iCN 630 . Having set your route, then if you stop off, once you start again, the unit will automatically recalculate your route from that position Happy .

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
sfi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with RogerStenning that it's really annoying to have to replan the route from scratch when stopping. I'm guessing that it works for you Tim because your using the Sleeve. Turning off the pocketpc with smarst V2 running (4410 bluetooth) results in you having to reset the Ipaq (2210 in this case). Even stopping the software and restarting it again isn't enough with the bluetooth seemingly not being able to get going again until a reset.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. Is there a case then for keeping the iPAQ switched on during breaks? Breaks don't usually last more than an hour, so the battery would certainly be upto it.

But replan the route from scratch? Can't you just use the 'Navigate to recent' menu option?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I was wondering about this when reading the posts.

I have never stopped mid-way through a journey long enough to switch everything off so never come across this problem. I will do now though to see if I have the same issues.

I may well be that the loss of BT signal is causing this as the receiver (4100) will turn itself off after a couple of mins if there is no active connection.
I would have thought that the software would remember the point in the journey when the iPAQ is switched back on as it is usually still in memory, so if the BT receiver is switched back on first then it would pick up where it left off.

This is certainly the case when I have left the iPAQ switched on using the battery and on returning to the car, switched on the BT receiver. SmartST carries on where it left off.

Obviously until I try swithcing everything off mid-journey for myself I wont know.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
sfi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you switch the pocketpc on again and press the button on the 4410 (so that the blue light (4410) is showing a single flash i.e. connected) there seems to be no data passing between the two so although it all looks ok a reset is required before the software will pick up any satellites.
I've not been able to find a way around it without reseting the pocketpc.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try switching the BT receiver on first, then the PPC if not already done so.

I'm stuck in work at the moment but on the way home i'll give it a try and see what happens.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.

Pulled off m-way and parked up. Switched off PPC. Let BT receiver switch itself off. Left off for 5 mins.
Switched on BT receiver, switched on PPC. SmartST still shows position and route, however, the BT manager pops up with the navman icon, tap it and SmartST reports 'No GPS Data'. Nothing will get the data flowing except a soft reset.
This means the route has to be programmed in again as you rightly said!

Drove a bit further and tried one more time. Still the same.

Drove a bit further and this time just switched off the receiver but left the PPC running. Switched on the receiver again and got an instant response with the next instruction.

So the only way to keep the route active is to keep the PPC switched on!

Is it the software? is it the BT manager on the iPAQ? or is it the BT receiver that fails to communicate the data after switching off the PPC?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
sfi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's exactly what i get.
I'm also not sure whether it's smartst or bluetooth. One way might be to test with something like gpsview or gpsinfo and see if it still does it or if there's someone out there with Tomtom and this receiver (or another bluetooth receiver for that matter) to see what happens.
I think some more testing is required !
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying, folks. Been rather busy at work over the last couple of days.

As you say, the crux of the problem is the BT/iPaq link-up. For reference, I'm using an iPaq 1940 with a 4410, using STv2SP2. I have to switch everything off (I drive long distances in a similar way I drive my bus - mandatory breaks at set intervals, thus ensuring I'm not 'over hours' for my paying job as a bus driver!), and I point blank refuce to leave the PDA and GPS gear in the car while I'm away from it when on my driving breaks. The mountings are too inviting a target for thieving gits who know what to look for.

So, I have to soft-reset the PDA every time I'm on a break. And THAT is a right royal PITA. I suspect it's something to do with the BlueTooth manager on the iPaq 1940, rather than the ST s/w or 4410.

Never the less, I think it'd help to be able to save where you are when having a driving break on a route, due to this very problem.

Thoughts?
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn it, this must be one of the few forums about where you can't edit/add to your posts.

Anyhow.

Jsut a thought. Yeah, I *could* leave the iPaq turned on, but I'd have to remember to turn off the auto power-down in battery mode, and chances are I'd forget. And get back to square one, where I had to perform a soft reset, and have to route calculate itself AGAIN.

Like I said: It's a RRPITA.
sfi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experimented with gpsview and it also won't work after turning off the pda so it's not purely a smartst problem.
Still not sure if it's something to do with the receiver, bluetooth software (favourite) or driver although at least with gpsview it gives an error of "GPS Protocol Error - Get Protocol Timeout". Maybe the GPS experts out there might be able to make an educated guess as to where the problem lies.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim (or any Admin/Moderator) do you think its wise to split this thread from Rodgerstennings first post into a dedicated thread?
Perhaps call it "Have to replan a route after stopping. Why?" or something like that.

This problem could result in a long thread and the 'wish list' isn't really the place for it.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tim Thumbs Up

The common denominators here are:
4100 BT receiver and SmartSTv2SP2
The fault is apparent using a 1940 and 2210.

Could it be a software driver for the bluetooth manager?? The receiver does appear to be communicating to the iPAQ's as the Navman icon is there!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
Tim (or any Admin/Moderator) do you think its wise to split this thread from Rodgerstennings first post into a dedicated thread?
Perhaps call it "Have to replan a route after stopping. Why?" or something like that.

This problem could result in a long thread and the 'wish list' isn't really the place for it.

Good idea. Motion seconded ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: