Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I want to plan my route beforehand.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to plan my route beforehand.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gone for the Nuvi 550 if it had a 2.5 or 3.5 jack plug or even proper bluetooth for headset connection but no they omitted all the important bits.

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed about the jack plug Evil or Very Mad

I'm assuming the blue tooth will be OK for one way routing instructions to a scala headset.
T-Pot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've seen the nuvi550 for less than 200quid on the chaos that forms the millions of open tabs on my browser..... could be exc. VAT

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that the Nuvi550 is a pretty mediocre GPS in a waterproof case - FFS, you'd be better buying a 7xx series for less and investing in a box of sandwich bags and an elastic band Wink

Now the Zumo550 appears to be the daddy and is far too much money for me.

dunno if this will help, but for those not wanting to buy a BT headset, you could try sumthin like a Motorola HF820 headset dongle - dunno if its stereo but its out there for less than 20squid

I asked the original question about being able to follow a pre-planned route? This research of mine has opened a whole can of worms, hmm, mp3 playing, ebook reader (all good ideas if I am using it for touring) ....even stretching to a PDA or customized WinCE device - I'll probably end up with the cheapest most basic one in the end Very Happy

I'm tempted by a cheapo winCE device and getting it running as best as possible how I want it. I do like to waste copious amounts of time fiddling with stuff Rolling Eyes
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Pot wrote:

dunno if this will help, but for those not wanting to buy a BT headset, you could try sumthin like a Motorola HF820 headset dongle - dunno if its stereo but its out there for less than 20squid

Thanks, I owe you a drink, or a mince pie or two, for that. I've been looking for such a device, but did not think it existed. Ordered from eBay today, £17.90.

T-Pot wrote:
I'm sure I've seen the nuvi550 for less than 200quid on the chaos that forms the millions of open tabs on my browser..... could be exc. VAT

Yes, the best I've seen is about £194 + VAT.

T-Pot wrote:

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that the Nuvi550 is a pretty mediocre GPS in a waterproof case - FFS, you'd be better buying a 7xx series for less and investing in a box of sandwich bags and an elastic band Wink

Interesting observations of yours.

I've got a Nuvi 250 at the moment. As a no bells or whistles GPS it fits the bill OK. It is small, quick and cheap.

So what do I want for the bike?

Well the Zumo is expensive and big. OK it does lots of things, but unless you really want to make calls on the move, it's overkill.
Also, the Zumo & TT Rider both suffer from not having an internal speaker, which means you need a car kit too, whereas the Nuvi 550 can just be slotted into a cheap windscreen mount as it has a speaker.

The Nuvi 250 is not water proof, plus I'd like to see my speed in MPH while on a route, plus have the next turn displayed all the time, as that advanced info is useful when riding a bike and not wanting to look at the GPS too often.

The Nuvi 550 does all three of the above, plus can save/download routes. So it fits my bill great.

But like you say, the Nuvi 7xx series is a lot better value, or even cheaper. FFS you can get a jack plug plus hands free phone calls via BT, if you want it, for less than a Nuvi 550. But it's not water proof.

So has anyone got any experience of either the sandwich bags, or perhaps a waterproof GPS holder. Can you still see the screen enough?

T-Pot wrote:

I'm tempted by a cheapo winCE device and getting it running as best as possible how I want it. I do like to waste copious amounts of time fiddling with stuff

Out of interest, I currently have a Palm Treo 680 running Garmin mobile XT c/w 2009 NT maps. Although it works well as a PDA GPS, it does have drawbacks. ie a tendency to crash/lock-up just when you are lost at a major junction Confused It then takes too long to pair it all up again, whereas a Nuvi etc is relatively quick to re-start.

So if I'm happy to compromise on the visibility in the wet, I should perhaps take a look at the higher end car versions ?
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use a pda in the early days of gps in a tank bag sitting in the map section so that I could see it. It was protected from the rain and most of the time I could see it except of course when it rained , then what would happen is that condensation would form so that it all went foggy .

I eventually gave up while going to Bristol one day in a real downpour , it told me to turn left which it did ,then it told me to turn right back onto the road I was on , but I couldnt see it and got really lost in some back streets and had to stop to let it catch up and for me to be able to see the screen . I missed the appointment ..
I have used the SP 2720 since and am cheesed off that its on its last legs so I have to replace it.

Rolling Eyes

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chastreo wrote:
T-Pot wrote:

Thanks, I owe you a drink, or a mince pie or two, for that. I've been looking for such a device, but did not think it existed. Ordered from eBay today, £17.90.

The HF820 has arrived.

I gave it a quick test on a friend's Zumo and it works perfectly. All the time it's attached it plays a low level tune, I assume to keep the BT link open, and then give out the route instructions as required.

Very good for under £18.

Cheers again Cool
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zumo 550 doesn't have an internal speaker your right but it comes with a Car kit which has the speaker built in.
I guess this is how they make the Zumo waterproof
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desd wrote:
The Zumo 550 doesn't have an internal speaker your right but it comes with a Car kit which has the speaker built in.
I guess this is how they make the Zumo waterproof

Interestingly, both the Nuvi 550 & the new Zumo 660 do have an internal speaker and are "designated" bike units. This means that they can use a much cheaper car mount that does not need a speaker.

Perhaps they just got lazy with the Zumo 550 Very Happy
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading on the Zumo forums it would seem the 660 may not be the upgrade from the Zumo 550 we all think it is.

There seems to be a possibility the Bluetooth will not be as high a spec, too much to list here but some of the features could be dumbed down for thew Idiots Laughing
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desd wrote:
From reading on the Zumo forums it would seem the 660 may not be the upgrade from the Zumo 550 we all think it is.

There seems to be a possibility the Bluetooth will not be as high a spec, too much to list here but some of the features could be dumbed down for thew Idiots Laughing

As the Zumoforums.com is based in the States, they are upset about the loss of XM radio, which we can't get in the UK anyway.

Other than that, IMHO the 660 should be far better than the 550.

I've not seen any comment about the BT side, apart from the fact that it should do stereo, which is a plus.

So what other 'faults' are putting you off ?
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it should do stereo but may be an inferior version/transmitter did not fully understand the terminology but understood what was being said (if that makes sense).

Im interested to see if it is as rugged and waterproof as the 550.

Besides the Nuvi Phone will be here soon which will be a better everyday solution. I can't think what my 500 is missing that i need, I wonder if it will have all the route and waypoint possibilities that the 500 550 has.

Saw friends 220 the other day and I didn't realise you could not set via points using the device with all the Nuvi's
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desd wrote:

Im interested to see if it is as rugged and waterproof as the 550.

I keep hearing this, I don't know why people don't think the 660 will be waterproof.

Checkout this video of a Nuvi 500 in a fish tank for half an hour. As the Zumo 660 is based on the Nuvi 550, and shares it's internal speaker, I can't see why it should be any less water proof.

Also checkout the 'upcoming turn' indicator Top Left of the display, this is the thing which makes the 660 better than the older zumo's for me Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALDiGADCl9c
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK didn't doubt it would have some waterproofness.
I always thought the 550 was bigger because it included more vibration resistance, I just wonder how they have done this with the smaller shell size.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with a Garmin Quest - they go for just over £100 on fleabay
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing but they are very limited in screen size and memory capacity for longer trips.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: