Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommend me a GPS Smartphone for cycling please...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend me a GPS Smartphone for cycling please...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
visionset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Recommend me a GPS Smartphone for cycling please... Reply with quote

I've considered the Garmin 705, but I'm now thinking a PDA/smartphone running windows would be better, since I really want UK OS mapping and I have memory map. Main downsides that need addressing are 1/ battery life - must be able to solve day long rides issue. 2/ Waterproofness - need something to put it in. 3/ Need to come up with method of bar attachment. But I see these as solvable, so what smartphone or other windows device would people recommend. budget around the £250 mark, would like to spend less and would consider older 2nd hand models. I think also a larger screen at expense of keyboard would be a good move, and wifi would be a nice to have.
visionset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: HTC Diamond/Cruise Reply with quote

I've done some research and come up with these 2 models (HTC Diamond/Cruise).

Diamond downside is fixed 4gb memory - no SD expansion.
Cruise downside smaller screen, don't know if this will be a problem.

Anyone have either of these models and can comment on their applicability to road cycle navigation?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either PDA based phone will be fine for GPS and running Memory Map software, to make it safe and secure from the weather and attaching it to the bike consider an "Otter Box" the Touch Cruise fits inside the 1900 serries case, and you can get a mount to secure the box to the bike see This Page - not cheap, but you get what you pay for and this product is well worth the outlay - bear in mind you are protecting a £500 phone at the end of the day!

For a suitable power source on the bike to keep the phone powered for a full day it is easy to build your own rechargable power bottle, this will clip in to a water bottle holder on the bike. I have built some of these capable of powering a phone such as the Touch Cruise for in excess of 48 hours. If you need more details on how to do this just ask - Mike
visionset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, I'm cycling on this planet! This is a better solution http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=document-bag&cName=maps-document-bags
Just bought the phone - diamond £180 new. Battery wise a 1700mAh battery is available with new back. I'm hoping this will do the job if I turn everything I don't need off on the phone. I need both my bottle carriers, for drink!! The Garmin was a 100g solution, I want to stay in that ball park.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: