Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom v825 map data different from Google Maps (Tele Atlas)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom v825 map data different from Google Maps (Tele Atlas)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: TomTom v825 map data different from Google Maps (Tele Atlas) Reply with quote

After installing the new map yesterday I went through my list of map errors identified on the v815 map to see which ones had been corrected. I could quickly see that hardly any error had been corrected, with two exceptions. The thing that surprised me was hat these two map corrections are only appearing on the TomTom map but not on Google Maps, that is also using data from Tele Atlas.

So, my conclusion is that TomTom sometimes use data from other sources than Tele Atlas and merge this with the TA map data, which is or course a good thing. Has anyone else made similar observations on the new map?

The locations I am referring to are (N56.54663 , E13.05200) and (N56.86387 , E14.79707). The locations are in Sweden so you need a map of Western Europe or Scandinavia to spot them.
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were comparing apples to apples, you might have evidence of that. But I don't believe Google is displaying the same new 8.25 map you're comparing it to.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
If you were comparing apples to apples, you might have evidence of that. But I don't believe Google is displaying the same new 8.25 map you're comparing it to.

The only thing I know is that Google Maps is claiming to use Tele Atlas map data from 2009 and Tele Atlas has only made one MultiNet relase this year.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is reportedly using a TA release identified as 2009.2, which might indicate a Feb. release. I know the map at Google just changed in the past two weeks. No evidence to this, but I would be surprised if the 8.25 version being offered to TomTom users is a 2009 build. I'd expect it to be from the 4th quarter of 08. Someone on this board will likely flesh it out soon.

EDIT----
I found a blurb (courtesy of a US forum) on the latest TA supplied Google map. From February 11:

"Today, Tele Atlas announced that their most recent map release, 2009.02, now includes improvements to the geometry of roads based on data collected from TomTom MapShare. The previous release from Tele Atlas also included data gleaned from MapShare, however the incorporated changes were typically road attribute changes such as those related to direction of travel or turn restrictions. . ."

I think 8.25 is based on the "previous release" referred to in the above quote. Not a 2009 build IMHO.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read on a different forum yesterday that the new v825 maps are indeed from Q4 2008 - Mike
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the fact that the TomTom v825 map (based on Tele Atlas Multinet 2008.4?) contains certain map layout corrections that is not yet included in Google Maps (based on Multinet 2009.1-2) that should be a clear evidence that other data sources than Tele Atlas are being used by TomTom for creating the PND maps. That is good news to me! It's too bad though that only 2 of the 30-40 map errors I've spotted in the v815 map in my home region were corrected in the v825 map release. It's quite a lot of money to pay per map correction. Shocked
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it could be that the "correction" you noted in 8.25 will disappear in the next TT map release. Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
So, .... that should be a clear evidence that other data sources than Tele Atlas are being used by TomTom for creating the PND maps.

IIRC, TomTom announced that this map release would be the first one where MapShare data from users of the previous map releases would be used to update the raw mapping from TeleAtlas.

I've heard reports that there were about 5MB of MapShare corrections waiting for the NEW map on the first day, so it looks like they have ported them across and done it that way.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way I see it too Andy.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I've heard reports that there were about 5MB of MapShare corrections waiting for the NEW map on the first day, so it looks like they have ported them across and done it that way.

For Sweden there were indeed about 200 map error corrections available through MapShare immediately after the map download two days ago. I wonder if that means that the rest of the approved map changes in the v815 map are included in the base data or if they are gone and need to be submitted again. Confused

The map corrections I am referring to in this thread are related to the map layout (new roads and roundabouts) and can therefore not be transferred via MapShare.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I understand the map we are seeing at Google includes some road geometry changes discovered from tracklog data from opt-in Tomtom users. First TA map that's incorporated that data. In other words, if several (no idea how many) tracklogs show a drive pattern that doesn't agree with current TA mapping, they can correct it based simply on the path that users are really driving. Of course this begs the question as to why we can't navigate to an off-road location since our devices can apparently determine off-road coordinates. Also interesting that many of our TomTom's are keeping a tracklog, yet we can't access it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting if true... Have you got any references or links for that?

Also, does this tracklog follow the exact path you take and not try to jump to existing roads like the display does. If not, the newly plotted road will be all over the place!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, our TT's are capable of logging a track of our true travels rather than snapped to road. See PM
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gatorguy.....

I think this is really fascinating!

Porting across old Mapshare corrections from a previous map version makes sense... it's what a lot of us have been asking for for ages after finding we were having to make the same corrections over and over again; but it's not really what we were promised by TT, who seemed to imply they would be giving the MapShare info to TeleAtlas in order to correct the actual base mapping!

But as Gatorguy says, as well as MapShare info, apparently TomTom/TeleAtlas are actually using TRACKLOGS from our TomTom travels, to identify where the mapping is wrong. If a lot of people seem to be travelling over a piece of ground with no road on the map, they can investigate and use the tracks to re-map areas.

A article on it can be found on the American gpsreview.net forum HERE
(Image thanks to GPSReview.net)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: