Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 8.25 Maps released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 8.25 Maps released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the current map update isn't for the X40s and that the update for those devices will follow. I think itwas somewhere on TomTom.com.

Your wrong I have just updated mt 940 with the latest map and its working fine. I did so because im hoping the IQ routes embedded in the maps has been updated, I dont believe the actual map will have changed much
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
Presumably every one will still have to remember to save their MapSettings.cfg file and copy it back in order to keep their favourites, unless TT have fixed this stupid bug.

It could just be done with a few extra lines in the Home coding.

Not a great idea, i downloaded and installed the new maps on my 940 but before hand copied my mapsettings.cfg. however when i put the old cfg in the new map the 940 would not boot just a cyle of starting and rebooting i had to put my windows backup back on
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Map upgrade failed- Help needed. Reply with quote

I went to update my go 720 last night and the new map which was shown in home as being available to download began to download. The process said it would take just under 2 hrs so I left it to get on with it.
Once it's all finished I reboot my tomtom only to find that the new WE map seems not to be on the device. Only the canary island map is listed. I've confirmed this with win explorer.

On looking via home it tells me that the new map is stored on my computer in the followind directory.

c:\users\peter\documents\tomtom\home\download\complete\map\western_europe\western_europe.zip

When I navigate to that folder the following files are present
activation_map_50569.cab which is 1kb in size
map9888gif-21kb
map9888-1 - 11kb
western_europe.toc - 4kb
western_europe.zip - 457,427 kb

I'm wondering if the download has failed and I've only got a partial list of all files, I'm thinking the map size should be bigger?

1. WHat I should do now to redownload? Reinstall a backup and try again or just email tomtom support?

Thanks,
Pete Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the files out of download folder and try a fresh start to getting your map, it would appear you are around 900MB short of even the smaller European map - Mike
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Can we download the new map if using the 8.32? Or do we need to revert back to the 8.30 to get the new map installed?

PS I did a trip to Paris and back over the weekend and the 8.32 held out very well. It had a couple of problems with street names but hardly anything. The only time it stuttered really bad was when the power cable wasn't plugged in properly and then on battery it was terrible.
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for your reply.
reholli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:
Mike,
Can we download the new map if using the 8.32? Or do we need to revert back to the 8.30 to get the new map installed?

PS I did a trip to Paris and back over the weekend and the 8.32 held out very well. It had a couple of problems with street names but hardly anything. The only time it stuttered really bad was when the power cable wasn't plugged in properly and then on battery it was terrible.

I can't speak for the European map(s), but I'm using the new North American map just fine with 8.320. I would think they would all work?

Ray Smile
Map: 'North_America' v825.2157
Language: English US; Voice: Susan US (TTS) v700
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good old TomTom

Map update? It has bricked my 540 - I cannot even reinstall a backup Twisted Evil . Trying it through explorer doesn't work either. I tried directly copying the new map to the 540 and it won't even write to it!!!!! The old map is kerf***ked also.

I am rather fed up, but tbh, not a bit surprised. Oh well I will have to wait for their tech support to get back to me sometime in the future. In the interim it is back to my PPC.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked great via Home on my Mac. Logged on this morning, bought the map subscription*, downloaded and installed the new Europe maps on my 740 A-OK, all done and dusted in less than half an hour. Quite impressed.**

*What is all this business about buying the current map at an 85% discount plus the subscription? Fifty quid all told. Can some explain that to me in non-Tomtom-speak?

**Er, apart from the maps still not showing the changes to the roads around the new development where I live nearly three years since they were changed.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:

Just installed the 8.25 map via HOME on top of Navcore 8.320 on my 920T. No need to revert to previous Navcore. Did have to copy back my mapsettings.cfg.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjh4 wrote
Quote:
updated map on my 920t, and the MapSettings.cfg issue reoccurred again!!! why cant tom tom get this bug fixed
I copied my MapSettings.cfg from my 815 backup to me new 825 map and have no problems at all
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrade to 8.25 for my TomTom One v3 was more painless than last time. First Home asked me to upgrade my application from 7.900 to 7.903, which I did. I then upgraded my maps from 8.15 to 8.25 which took place without problems. As before, my favourites had gone, but I copied over MapSettings.cfg from my last backup and they all worked. Furthermore, unlike last time, I had not lost my POIs (PGPSW safety camera database) and the warnings were all as before. TT got something right this time!

The bad news is that a 2.5 year old one way system in the middle of Swansea is still not there (neither is it shown in Google maps). Also, some corrections I first reported when TTN5 came out are not changed!

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reholli wrote:

I'm using the new North American map just fine with 8.320.
Ray Smile

Good.

Now here's something strange about the North America 825 maps I've noticed...

For some reason, TomTom insisted on using the names of incorporated areas as city names. Like say, you are in Podunk, Alabama, it showed you as to be located in Hogdrool, Alabama because 150 years ago, there was a short-lived town of that name that has long since been incorporated into the city of Podunk.
Until now that was just a cosmetic issue. You could still search for a restaurant in Podunk, even though TomTom thought it was in the long vanished town of Hogdrool, and find one. NOW however, with the 825 NA maps, TomTom insists on the historic name so even if you're in downtown Podunk, surrounded by restaurants, it will not find them unless you're a freaking history buff specialized in ghost towns. You can still find it if you use the "find near my GPS location" function, but pretty much all the usefulness of the POI system has vanished because you can't "find POI in City" anymore at all. I have only tested for a few cities in Texas including Dallas, but can imagine how bad it would be in huge cities.

Now oddly enough, this doesn't happen with the USA/Canada 825 maps. Those still function properly on both the phone and the One. So for now I've trashed the NA 825 maps, and put NA 815 back on.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added NA 825.2157 to both my units and the map config copied over no problem as well.

I also noticed at least one new road has been added in my area, which is good, but oddly another road which completed roughly at the same time as not. Hey ho at least it gets better.......slowly.

With v8302 running these maps, they seem better, almost cleaner and more crisp looking, maybe its just my mind playing tricks on me after watching crappy refresh rates.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
bucketp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzr1200 wrote:
alwyn1 wrote:
Hi.
Just had this from Tomtom. Give them their due they were soon back to me.

Dear Mr Flinton,

Thank you for your query regarding your map download.

We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We escalated this to a supervisor to have your account reset so you can redownload the map.

We hope to have an answer for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find a solution for your query.

With Best Regards

TomTom Customer Support Team

Same for me!!! They have asked me to bear with them whilst they move this to the 2nd line.

In fairness, I put my complaint in on Sat morning and got a reply back by Sat afternoon. That's certainly an improvement in customer service at TT!!!

I've just reloaded my original master back-up onto an SD card and am using that to boot my 720 at the moment. I forgot just how quick this thing used to route before IQ routing. I also have my compass pointing to destiation back. Progress is a wonderful thing isn't it....

I had this and asked TomTom for an update , they never got back to me, however I just connected my tomtom 530 to Home and upgraded the software, checked it was still working , made a backup and connected to home again and successfully installed the latest map.
Even more bizarre home doesn't think I have two devices any more.!
All appears to be working fine at the moment. I am off for a two hundred mile drive tonight so I will see how it copes!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: