Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 940 first experiences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 940 first experiences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: TomTom 940 first experiences Reply with quote

So I have been using a 930 and just received a 940 this week.

The 940 is slightly bigger than the 930, so it will not fit into some of the cases. The leather case that TomTom make for the x20 x30 and One XL should still fit, but newer cases specifically for this model are not available to buy yet.

The speaker on the 940 is much clearer and louder than the 930. In fact, at the default volume it almost gave me a heart attack the first time I used it in the car. I rushed to turn the volume down. This is a significant improvement.

Would you believe, finally a TomTom with an orange light on it when it is charging, and a green one when fully charged! It was not possible to know if the battery was fully charged or not previously without switching it on.

Stingy sods at TomTom only gave the cheaper active dock with the 940 that has a USB connection for a charger or USB TMC receiver, but no iPod connection or line out. However, the dock is MUCH MUCH better than the x20 and 30 range. I had a couple of close calls with the 930 where the mount gave way without warning. The active mount sticks to the screen much more tightly. And the best bit? You can actually dock the 940 onto the mount while it is in position easily without fiddling. All previous TomToms required some really difficult and careful handling to dock while the mount was already on the screen. Also with the new dock it holds the 940 VERY steady preventing road/car shake causing it to vibrate/wobble.

When I first docked the 940 on home, it gave a device installation error on Vista. But a re-dock seemed to cure this. TomTom immediately offered to download
1) European speed cameras
2) UK premium cameras
3) An update to the Kate voice
4) Fuel prices
5) MapShare

I am not sure what the update to the Kate voice provided, but I would love to know what is wrong with the UK premium cameras. On a drive round the M25, it failed to pick up ANY of the gantry cameras around Heathrow (yes there are shiny new ones there...but they have been installed for some time).

Either RoadAngel is giving TomTom an intentionally broken supply of camera coordinates and there is something deeply broken with TomTom's server provision.

In a journey around the M25, the Traffic HD service did pick-up the one and only traffic issue I hit. It also correctly worked out the time delay associated with it. In fact I arrived at the exact minute it originally estimated for the journey when I left home. Rather impressive!

A test to find the nearest cheapest super unleaded fuel revealed what I believe to be the correct answer in my area (from my own research), so it looks like that feature is working well.

I also noticed that the feature whereby the TomTom will switch off when the power is disconnect (AKA engine off ) is back!! I know this will make some people smile. This was removed when TomTom had a bad design mount on the x10 series that caused it to prematurely lose power connection while driving. Nice to see it back.

There do seem to be some HOME issues right now as the software is not offering me the HD subscription or allowing me to check with map guarantee, or subscribe to the quarterly map update subscription.

Bluetooth handsfree phone operation still works at a fair level. Somehow the sound is never wonderful despite the better speaker and bluetooth reception range is not great.

The voice control feature allows you to do much more without touching the screen. Tap the microphone on the main screen and you can ask it to go straight to the navigate to options or to do something like "call home". It doesn't seem to be able to dial a telephone number read out to it though.

Incidentally, the memory used was about 3.26GB of 4GB provided storage.

Obviously much more experimenting to do. Really the x40 range are for those who will make use of the built-in live services. The ability to do this without having to pair with a mobile phone, or to run extra cables for a TMC receiver are very welcome. But the improvements to the mount, the speaker and some of the enhancements/features provided by the interface really make this a solid product release.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 940 first experiences Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
The speaker on the 940 is much clearer and louder than the 930. In fact, at the default volume it almost gave me a heart attack the first time I used it in the car. I rushed to turn the volume down. This is a significant improvement.

Glad I'm not the only one that that happened to. Although I've turned the voices off now, I found that 50% volume was more than adequate.

jonstatt wrote:
Stingy sods at TomTom only gave the cheaper active dock with the 940 that has a USB connection for a charger or USB TMC receiver, but no iPod connection or line out.

Maybe this is for the benefit of the 99% of us who don't have an iPod or TMC receiver, and don't want to pay the extra cost of having this useless extra hardware.

jonstatt wrote:
However, the dock is MUCH MUCH better than the x20 and 30 range. I had a couple of close calls with the 930 where the mount gave way without warning. The active mount sticks to the screen much more tightly. And the best bit? You can actually dock the 940 onto the mount while it is in position easily without fiddling. All previous TomToms required some really difficult and careful handling to dock while the mount was already on the screen. Also with the new dock it holds the 940 VERY steady preventing road/car shake causing it to vibrate/wobble.

Agreed, I was going to make this point myself - the in car / active dock is excellent - almost as if they have acutally thought about it this time - It has not fallen off yet, in almost 2 full days. Attaching it and removing the 540 is a pleasure - particularly well thought out is the release button at the bottom that you press with your thumb, in a natural manoeuvre to grasp the bottom of the device - the first time I did this, I basically pressed the button by accident as I grabbed the 540, which came away exactly in my hand.

jonstatt wrote:
A test to find the nearest cheapest super unleaded fuel revealed what I believe to be the correct answer in my area (from my own research), so it looks like that feature is working well.

It doesn't seem to have all the stations in though - for example, there is no icon for the Hatfield Tesco, by A1 J4, so I presume no prices for it, either.

jonstatt wrote:
I also noticed that the feature whereby the TomTom will switch off when the power is disconnect (AKA engine off ) is back!! I know this will make some people smile.

Frustatingly for me, my car doesn't cut the 12v power when the engine is off, so it doesn't go into 10 second countdown mode until I either pull the cable out of the socket, or detacth the 540.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestesting Traffic experience tonight.

After an accident on the M25, there was clearly a bunched amount of traffic. However, as it cleared, the congested traffic moved further around the M25. This is to be expected as the bunched up cars all move in tandem around the M25.

When I started my journey, it warned me of some bad traffic, but as I got closer to the incident, the delay time kept reducing, and it kept getting further away!

Eventually I came upon where the traffic was still slightly congested according to the TomTom, but actually there was nothing there. BUt then just a half mile further down I hit the congestion...while I was in it, the TomTom reported I was in congestion...but it fell slightly short of reality.

Clearly what was happening is that the congestion was moving around the M25 faster than the updates for the Traffic HD...but the great thing is, it was clearly adapting and recognising the shift.

The GPRS traffic or TMC traffic, would not be able to adjust in the same way, or at least not in any time feasable manner.

Jonathan
algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jonstatt
I too have purchased a 540 and i thought that the mount would at least have a connection point for the rds tmc altho the live is pretty good it will be rather expensive at over £90 a year if the user is not a high milage user and as you stated the rds tmc dock is an extra at nearly £50 Quite a lot if the thing is as bad as the old type i cannot to date find anyone that has one and i cant find any reports on how good it is. So hopefully sombody might just give us some feedback on it
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

algypan wrote:
i cannot to date find anyone that has one and i cant find any reports on how good it is. So hopefully sombody might just give us some feedback on it

There have been a few reports of the RDS-TMC mount in this forum.

General consensus is that it works pretty well, maybe not quite as well as the latest RDS-TMC receiver with a USB connection but not bad.
Try a forum search... Mike Alder has certainly posted about it and how you can improve it further by connecting it into your existing car radio aerial.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only thread to date containing information about the RDS x40 mounts reception can be found Here - if you have the older RDS receiver with the round barrel type connector that can be used with an x40 if you purchase one of the accessory mounts (it needn't be one of the RDS receiver mounts).
There are two types, one secures to the windscreen, the other you attach to a Brodit Pro clip designed to match your vehicle.

If you have the Mini USB equipped RDS receiver simply connect it to the supplied car dock and it will work fine - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone (I thought you, Mike) in the last day or so post some links to Maplin or RS showing the parts required to do a neat job of y-cording into the car aerial lead? Can't find it now...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: