Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 brightness preference
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 brightness preference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: 540 brightness preference Reply with quote

I have got a new tom-tom 540 today and very happy with it until I noticed that it is not switching to night view when dark and visa versa I have enable the brightness preference and it has made no difference.

I have been able to compare it with my old 520 and it switched straight away...

any ideas if this is a software fault of hardware my version is 8.310 I will be sooooo mad if I have to take it back as I have spent most of the afternoon customising it Grrrr
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to 'Brightness' in the preferences section and tick the box to automatically change to night view.
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzr1200 wrote:
Go to 'Brightness' in the preferences section and tick the box to automatically change to night view.

sorry I thought my message was clear..... the box is checked in "Switch to night view when dark" and makes no difference at all Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck if you are going to mess around with auto settings - use the screen brightness in manual mode for something that is usable - auto mode is a total waste of time, if it were a joke I would find it funny - sadly its a fault that cannot be fixed with current software - Mike
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Best of luck if you are going to mess around with auto settings - use the screen brightness in manual mode for something that is usable - auto mode is a total waste of time, if it were a joke I would find it funny - sadly its a fault that cannot be fixed with current software - Mike

thanks for the quick reply part of me is pleased that its not a faulty unit but the x40 range is not the cheapest and you would of thought that tom-tom would get it right..

I searched the forums but not find much on this topic I would of expected a loads of posting on this subject so to be clear the software the fault and not the sensor ?? having one of those days Mad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be easier to use a software update to fix a hardware issue to be honest (its not just your device BTW) - Mike
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I think it might be easier to use a software update to fix a hardware issue to be honest (its not just your device BTW) - Mike

thanks I will wait for a update from TT as I am running version is 8.310 but as usual I wont hold my breath
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst i had a 740 i found it worked suprisingly well if you untick the "Turn brightness down when dark" option and tick the "Switch to Night View when dark". However i only used it a few days and so didn't give it a fair go.
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the same problem with my 540, but after some experimentation I've found it works ok if I switch the unit on, then connect it to the windscreen dock and then start the car. I've no idea why, but it works for me.

Keith
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin's implementation of this was much better on my old i3. It switched mode based on the time of day, rather than the ambient light.

I leave it on manual on my 740. I can't be doing with the change to night and back to day again every time I drive through an underpass. Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I use "dim when dark" rather then "switch to night colours when dark" and it seems to work ok on my 940.

It does have to be on the windscreen mount for theis function to work, if you hadn't realised, Steven0161.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: